Ford Transit USA Forum banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I would think that Ford would know my VIN was a Quigley since I bought it at a Ford dealership so why would I receive the letter?
Don't assume anything. Ford built mine with a U-joint but I still received the letter saying my guibo needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought a used 2015 Transit from a chevy dealer about 500 miles away, a couple weeks after purchase, back home I noticed vibration and I took it to a local dealer, they said the drive shaft was bad and it would be repaired under recall, after 2 weeks of waiting I called them back and they told me it was not going to be repaired under recall because it was previously fixed and I had to pay out of pocket. I paid 1200$ (discounted from 1600) for a new drive shaft, and now I just recieved another recall notice, saying that it's now been flagged again. I feel like some kind of reimbursement is due from ford. I don't even know what repair the dealer did, but I do have all the paper work, the part numbers are listed below:

CK4Z-4635-A, KIT B, 39.05
CK4Z-4R602-BK, SHAFT A, 1037.00
JK4Z-SA669-A, DAMPER, 73.83

No idea if this is the "final" U-Joint fix or what.. I did notice after the repair that the transmission is a bit "jerky" at low speeds, down in first gear, in start/stop conditions sometimes the rear end will violently jerk like I got hit by something. Truck's got 114k miles on it. It was a super clean truck, body and paint are great.

I don't know if I have any recourse or who I should contact about this.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I bought a used 2015 Transit from a chevy dealer about 500 miles away, a couple weeks after purchase, back home I noticed vibration and I took it to a local dealer, they said the drive shaft was bad and it would be repaired under recall, after 2 weeks of waiting I called them back and they told me it was not going to be repaired under recall because it was previously fixed and I had to pay out of pocket. I paid 1200$ (discounted from 1600) for a new drive shaft, and now I just recieved another recall notice, saying that it's now been flagged again. I feel like some kind of reimbursement is due from ford. I don't even know what repair the dealer did, but I do have all the paper work, the part numbers are listed below:

CK4Z-4635-A, KIT B, 39.05
CK4Z-4R602-BK, SHAFT A, 1037.00
JK4Z-SA669-A, DAMPER, 73.83

No idea if this is the "final" U-Joint fix or what.. I did notice after the repair that the transmission is a bit "jerky" at low speeds, down in first gear, in start/stop conditions sometimes the rear end will violently jerk like I got hit by something. Truck's got 114k miles on it. It was a super clean truck, body and paint are great.

I don't know if I have any recourse or who I should contact about this.
I would contact Ford corporate headquarters, and tell them the dealer screwed you out of an NHTSA recall. This is not optional, but mandatory that they fix the problem for free.

·
Registered
11 Posts
they're reasoning was the fix had already been completed by another dealer, and I should have to return to that dealer, (Which was 500 miles away). This work had been done prior to me owning the vehicle.

·
Registered
621 Posts
You should at least have gotten a T-shirt out of this that says “I got the shaft from Ford.” The good news is, since you went to a dealer, surely they used the proper lube.

But seriously, the “damper” on your list is not the dreaded “guibo,” the subject of the recall, rather it appears to be a damper for the rear axle. The question is, what led them to determine that damper was bad, and a true “gold-star-deserving” dealer, might have handled the repair/replacement of the driveshaft itself differently, given that there is a renewed recall and Ford is really on the hot seat (was the service after the latest go-round on this? On or about Oct 31, 2019). These things have been in a “emergency-non-emergency” status for, what, nearly 2 years now (or has it been longer?). NHTSA isn’t breathing down Ford’s neck about a vibration nuisance, there is a real safety issue involved.

It would be interesting (or crucial) to know what the dealer 500 miles away actually did, or didn’t do. Did your local dealer use this logic: surely the other dealer fixed the guibo, but problem persists, so it must not be the guibo, so let’s just start replacing a bunch of other parts to see if we can accidentally eliminate the problem.

While I know only a little about that rear damper that was supposedly replaced, what would also worry me is that, the new symptoms you mention sound like what it should be “damping out.” Did they F that up too? Or is the rear diff going out too? THAT might truly need to be on your nickel.

Yeah, Ford may have to pony up, but you better have your ducks in a row. And yes, you probably need at very least the Regional Tech Service Rep involved. It would be super if they went “above and beyond” for a change, and fixed you up completely.

P. S. Might be a good time to NOT have oversized wheels and tires on this thing...or other drivetrain mods.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is what that part on my van looks like, I think its a u-joint and not the guibo but perhaps someone can confirm?

ujoint1_trimmed.jpg

·
Registered
621 Posts
You need to be looking at the front (transmission) end of the driveshaft to see the problem guibo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
You should at least have gotten a T-shirt out of this that says “I got the shaft from Ford.” The good news is, since you went to a dealer, surely they used the proper lube.

But seriously, the “damper” on your list is not the dreaded “guibo,” the subject of the recall, rather it appears to be a damper for the rear axle. The question is, what led them to determine that damper was bad, and a true “gold-star-deserving” dealer, might have handled the repair/replacement of the driveshaft itself differently, given that there is a renewed recall and Ford is really on the hot seat (was the service after the latest go-round on this? On or about Oct 31, 2019). These things have been in a “emergency-non-emergency” status for, what, nearly 2 years now (or has it been longer?). NHTSA isn’t breathing down Ford’s neck about a vibration nuisance, there is a real safety issue involved.

It would be interesting (or crucial) to know what the dealer 500 miles away actually did, or didn’t do. Did your local dealer use this logic: surely the other dealer fixed the guibo, but problem persists, so it must not be the guibo, so let’s just start replacing a bunch of other parts to see if we can accidentally eliminate the problem.

While I know only a little about that rear damper that was supposedly replaced, what would also worry me is that, the new symptoms you mention sound like what it should be “damping out.” Did they F that up too? Or is the rear diff going out too? THAT might truly need to be on your nickel.

Yeah, Ford may have to pony up, but you better have your ducks in a row. And yes, you probably need at very least the Regional Tech Service Rep involved. It would be super if they went “above and beyond” for a change, and fixed you up completely.

P. S. Might be a good time to NOT have oversized wheels and tires on this thing...or other drivetrain mods.
Lol hilarious, I really did get the shaft! The drive shaft! ha

So, as far as I know, the dealer "addressed" the active recall at the time. It's all in the log's that ford keeps, they can actually see when and where it was serviced in their records. I don't have oversized wheels, since I purchased the truck used, I don't know it's history. I think it had some kind of wheel chair lift in it before though. And it has a weird sticker on the door that says something about the vehicle being modified from original specification and it's load rating had been altered? I don't know what this is. It looks like a label an upfitter of some sort slapped on it. To be fair, before the repair had been completed the van was completely empty, and it now has some weight in it.. probably 1200-1500 lbs or so. This is my primary service vehicle, when it's down im down. It's really hard when ford dealer keeps it for a week + before they even look at it! I could be losing thosands of dollars while they **** around at the dealer doing nothing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Technically they're not related but I'm still surprised the torque converter and transmission issues aren't a recall or a class action. I'm convinced the continuing drive shaft issue is related (but technically not, as said)

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
This is what that part on my van looks like, I think its a u-joint and not the guibo but perhaps someone can confirm?

View attachment 130905
Wrong end of the drive shaft. The rubber guibo is between the gearbox and the drive shaft.

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
@MikeW01, It appears you are dealing with a shady dealer counting on your ignorance, and they were just guessing at what the problem might be. Ford warranty work has zero to do with which dealer you went to, where you bought it, or whether you bought it used. Further, an NTSB safety recall has even less to do with those things. This needs to be investigated up the corporate ladder.

btw how many miles are on your 2015 van, and was the issue resolved with the $$$ they charged?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had 112 when I bought it, up to 114k now. The vibration issue was resolved, but I now have the weird jerks and kick's at low speed. They are not particularly bad, but certainly not normal. This happened back in august, 8/5/2019. I was pretty annoyed by the whole situation, but double so now that i've got another recall notice.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Oops, here's the front end of driveshaft:
IMG_0561.jpg

Is that the guibo or u-joint? The aluminum driveshaft came with it. I have not had any work done to this part of the vehicle since I bought it on Ford lot October 2017.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That is one very rusted U-joint and yoke.

May have missed your location in an earlier post but
Where abouts do you live ?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Duffski, the u-joint in you latest picture is where many Transits have a guibo. I have no idea how the aluminum drive shaft figures in to all this...but I bet MikeW01 wants to know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
I live at Lake Tahoe which is usually dry and no salt on roads but lots of other rusty parts under the van. The driveshaft is from the Quigley conversion.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts