Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,426 Posts
This is the latest explanation on the owner.ford.com site for my 2015. The threshold for the original flex coupling was 30k miles, now they say 40k for the enhanced version. So, if you have the original flex coupling and less than 40k miles, no need to do anything. If it was replaced already with the "enhanced" giubo, then you need to wait until it has 40k additional miles with it in place.

Our 2018 has a regular u-joint which won't be replaced by Ford unless something unusual happens to it, so it seems these recall terms benefit the 2015 van which received the enhanced coupling at 45k miles.

Picture this scenario:
-For the sake of argument, assume that a normal u-joint's life expectancy is around 100k miles (though obviously it should be more).

1. At 100k miles, the 2018 u-joint suffers from normal wear and tear requiring replacement - I pay.

2. At 95k miles the 2015 gets a free u-joint from Ford, and at 195k miles it suffers from normal wear and tear requiring replacement - I pay, but with 95k "bonus" miles until then.

And by the way, I find zero difference in day-to-day driving with nearly identical Transits, one with giubo and one with u-joint.

·
Super Moderator
2,426 Posts
I got a new so-called “final fix” guibo (10 mo ago). CVM’s link indicates the latest recall is “incomplete” for my VIN...but that parts are not yet available. Trying to read between the lines...I guess I am eligible for an “even more final” fix???
Yes, mine says the same incomplete/parts not available because apparently the parts will not be available to me and the recall completed until the replaced giubo has 40k miles on it. I consider this free driveline miles from Ford.(y) :geek:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yes, mine says the same incomplete/parts not available because apparently the parts will not be available to me and the recall completed until the replaced giubo has 40k miles on it. I consider this free driveline miles from Ford.(y) :geek:
Good and positive way to look at it. :)

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I followed the link and only see info on the Takata air bag recalls, plus a phone number for other recall questions.
Surfin’ all around the site I still can’t find it on any page.
I’m assuming it’s in the page that pops up clicking your link, but where?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Crewvanman's link works on my computer, It must be a phone thing.

They did the recall for the first time on mine 3 months ago, Updated Giubo.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I followed the link and only see info on the Takata air bag recalls, plus a phone number for other recall questions.
Surfin’ all around the site I still can’t find it on any page.
I’m assuming it’s in the page that pops up clicking your link, but where?
Try refreshing the page. The option to enter your VIN to check for recalls didn't show up the first time for me either. Then appeared upon refresh, for whatever reason.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
This time it loaded properly on the same device.
So entering my vin, it said there is a recall, but not yet available. It talked about the 40,000 limit on the enhanced Guibo which I had installed 15 months ago. I’m hoping by the time my van is reaching the mileage limit it’s going to be a U-joint, but I guess if it’s just an
R & R of the enhanced Guibo I can live with that too.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
So is Ford only doing the real U Joint at this point? Maybe a good time to have it done?
If you can GET one. That's doubtful at present. Maybe they will have enough in stock in a year.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
So I took a look at my coupling, I saw no signs of cracking at 25k, of course I do not do jackrabbit starts or anything like that, so do you think I can push to 40k if I have no signs of imminent failure?

·
Registered
645 Posts
So I took a look at my coupling, I saw no signs of cracking at 25k, of course I do not do jackrabbit starts or anything like that, so do you think I can push to 40k if I have no signs of imminent failure?
What year model do you have? (I wish Tapatalk included people’s “signature line.”)

Again, I had minor cracks at 35k, which did not cause me to freak out once I saw them (and I freak out easily).

BUT (and CrewMan might be the best to speak on this), given that this is an official SAFETY recall (not just a TSB), Ford will probably send you a letter (assuming they know you own this vehicle) notifying you of what you should do, and when (in general). They probably have the right to make you wait until they think you are “vulnerable” to having issues (with your driveshaft). For instance, given that they just replaced mine, I won’t be surprised if they don’t send me a letter for 2.5-3 yrs. Pure speculation, but they might send you a letter within 6-9 months...as you approach 40k miles.

Or, am I giving Ford too much credit? (Answer: possibly).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just signed onto the owner.ford website and looked at recalls. It says recalls 0 and field service actions 1 (EGR cooler replacement). The latter I don't think they will do unless it breaks. Anyway, my Transit is a 2016 with a date of 06/16. When should the recall show up?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
What year model do you have? (I wish Tapatalk included people’s “signature line.”)

Again, I had minor cracks at 35k, which did not cause me to freak out once I saw them (and I freak out easily).

BUT (and CrewMan might be the best to speak on this), given that this is an official SAFETY recall (not just a TSB), Ford will probably send you a letter (assuming they know you own this vehicle) notifying you of what you should do, and when (in general). They probably have the right to make you wait until they think you are “vulnerable” to having issues (with your driveshaft). For instance, given that they just replaced mine, I won’t be surprised if they don’t send me a letter for 2.5-3 yrs. Pure speculation, but they might send you a letter within 6-9 months...as you approach 40k miles.

Or, am I giving Ford too much credit? (Answer: possibly).

2017 T250 Cargo, long and tall.
LOL, I am not sure they know the mileage, as it has never been there since March 2017 when I picked it up. I am in NY and get a yearly DMV inspection, so they may know based on that?
Sounds like a good plan, if they know I am overdue, they might put me on the top of the list for permanent repair.

·
Registered
645 Posts
When I asked what year you had, I was trying to overthink this as usual. At some point, I assume Ford started building these with the “final fix” components straight from the factory, therefore, no recall. But I think 2016 & 2017 are too early for that scenario. The flip side is, depending on how many miles you have on your van, or at least on your “latest” guibo, you may or may not need to be concerned. If you have 80,000 on a 2015 and still have your original guibo, well, maybe you should at least look at it...and I suspect Ford is writing you letters.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I received the recall notice from Ford about the "new permanent fix". I'm about 20k miles into the last permanent fix guibo. Hopefully this time it's a proper U-Joint.

It didn't show any cracks when I inspected it at 50k miles.

I'm more annoyed that they "can't find" the coolant leak in my 3.2L, we all know where it is, the EGR cooler. At least Ford issued an extended warranty for that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I recieved my notice for the driveshaft repair last week. My 2017 250 was built in June so 2 1/2 years to receive the safety notice for an interim repair until the permanent fix is available. Time to call the Ford dealer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just received this recall notice for my 2017 Transit. I was under the impression that since it has the Quigley 4x4 conversion that this should not be an issue. Before I waste more time calling the dealership and go through that awful process again (tow package recall) can anyone confirm that I do not have the faulty driveshaft coupling? I would think that Ford would know my VIN was a Quigley since I bought it at a Ford dealership so why would I receive the letter?

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Just received this recall notice for my 2017 Transit. I was under the impression that since it has the Quigley 4x4 conversion that this should not be an issue. Before I waste more time calling the dealership and go through that awful process again (tow package recall) can anyone confirm that I do not have the faulty driveshaft coupling? I would think that Ford would know my VIN was a Quigley since I bought it at a Ford dealership so why would I receive the letter?
Do you have a U-joint instead of a guibo? Then you don't have the faulty coupling.

I got my notification a couple weeks ago. I already had the replacement put on at about 50k, so I'm good until 80k, which is probably next Fall. Maybe they'll have all the U-joints they need by then.

21 - 40 of 87 Posts