Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ford just came out with the news on updating the Driveshaft Coupling for the Ford Transit. It affects Transits built from January 17, 2014 to June 15, 2017. I have posted a link to this information so be sure to read it. Check your Transit build date from the tag on the driver's door or just look under the Transit at the driveshaft area to see if you have the black coupler or a full U-Joint at the transmission. If your Transit was sold after July 1st, 2017, the dealer was supposed to replace the coupler with the U-Joint shaft.

Here is the link... www.fordauthority.com/2019/10/ford-transit-recall-due-to-driveshaft-flexible-coupling-issue/

If you are taking your Transit to the Ford dealer for service, you might have them check the coupling for any unusual wear on it. The dealer can order the U-Joint replacement once your Transit gets to the 40.000 mile range. Don't expect to just show up and get the U-Joint replacement as the dealer has to submit the vehicle VIN to get the part as it is a warranty part and for them to get it, it needs a VIN entered when ordering the part.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Oh Gods, not again....

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Mine was built in October '14.
First I had the Guibo replaced with the same lousy one at the first recall.
Then I had it swapped for what was considered to be the new upgraded permanent Guibo at that recall.
Does the newest recall have me replacing the upgraded one with the same at 40,000 miles of service, or will it now be a U-Joint?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Longboard: yes

·
Registered
565 Posts
Mine was built in October '14.
First I had the Guibo replaced with the same lousy one at the first recall.
Then I had it swapped for what was considered to be the new upgraded permanent Guibo at that recall.
Does the newest recall have me replacing the upgraded one with the same at 40,000 miles of service, or will it now be a U-Joint?
Longboard: yes
Whaaaat, Bill??

I saw this in an Oct 29, 2019 article from CNET Roadshow, and assumed it was inaccurate. I have the alleged “permanent fix” guibo, on a 2015 EBoost, installed earlier this year. Have not received new letter (recently). Edit: CrewVanMan, thanks for validating this story.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
565 Posts
Sorry, trying to delete, but since I can’t seem to do that, I will try to say something useful. My original guibo was replaced earlier this year, at approx 35K, and it did have some minor tears. The new one, a so-called “permanent” fix, did look different. Will be interesting to see what dealer says about replacing again.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I talked to my dealer today about the recall. They said the parts will ordered and I could go ahead and make an appointment for end of the week. I said I think I will wait until you actually have the drive shaft in hand, then schedule. I said I really doubt it will actually be available but they said it shows it in stock. Will see.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
In the end, Ford wants to replace ALL of the Transits with the U-Joint driveshaft. It would have been a HUGE task to do it all at once so they set up steps to do it. Probably another way to get you to go to the Ford dealer so they could sell you some other services, like a oil change, replace the air filter, etc.

star gazer is doing the right thing. Get the dealer to order the part using your VIN, then once it is in their hands, have it replaced. At some point, Ford may issue a recall notice to get ALL Transit owners to come get the FINAL correction for the driveshaft fix!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm going to try to get the broken heat shields replaced at the same time. This is the perfect time to fix this. Be interesting if they will want the full book rate labor to replace the heat shields, which includes removing the driveshaft. Haven't replaced the heat shields because the van has 105,000 miles so way out of warranty.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
In the end, Ford wants to replace ALL of the Transits with the U-Joint driveshaft. It would have been a HUGE task to do it all at once so they set up steps to do it. Probably another way to get you to go to the Ford dealer so they could sell you some other services, like a oil change, replace the air filter, etc.

star gazer is doing the right thing. Get the dealer to order the part using your VIN, then once it is in their hands, have it replaced. At some point, Ford may issue a recall notice to get ALL Transit owners to come get the FINAL correction for the driveshaft fix!
I don't think Ford Motor Company makes any money off of dealer oil changes and service, except maybe a few cents for the "Original Equipment" parts like filters. Dealerships are independent of Ford, like 7/11 is independent of Doritos.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I don't think Ford Motor Company makes any money off of dealer oil changes and service, except maybe a few cents for the "Original Equipment" parts like filters. Dealerships are independent of Ford, like 7/11 is independent of Doritos.
This is why sales and the business associates in sales push for the over priced dealer extras when you order/buy a vehicle there. Its a cash cow (like extended warranties). Service, depending on the advisor can do the same to you (unnecessary work/parts) as well if you aren't paying attention.

"Sure! We should replace that Johnson Rod and Muffler Bearings."
:unsure:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Does anyone know if this recall would be covered as part of a sort of "lifetime" warranty? My 2016 van has 150k miles on it, so it is well beyond any factory warranty. I would like to know before going to the dealer if the work would be covered by Ford... My older Nissan's had a lifetime warranty on certain safety equipment such as the seatbelts and I actually had a 16yr old high mileage 240sx that got the seatbelt buckles and mechanism replaced due to a recall that hadn't been performed on my car. So I'm just curious if this could be a similar situation.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
You would first want to find out if your Transit had the previous recalls done. Using the VIN, the dealer can look at the Ford system to see if the prior recalls were done. The recall is not affected by it being in warranty or not, but if the part in question has been replaced. Like stated in the forum thread, best to give the dealer the VIN, see if they can get the final fix...U-Joint shaft.. and install it on your Transit. Find out everything in advance so you don't take it in and get a surprise when picking it up!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
You might click on this website that is supposed to tell you what recalls have been done on your vehicle.

·
Registered
565 Posts
You would first want to find out if your Transit had the previous recalls done. Using the VIN, the dealer can look at the Ford system to see if the prior recalls were done. The recall is not affected by it being in warranty or not, but if the part in question has been replaced. Like stated in the forum thread, best to give the dealer the VIN, see if they can get the final fix...U-Joint shaft.. and install it on your Transit. Find out everything in advance so you don't take it in and get a surprise when picking it up!
I got a new so-called “final fix” guibo (10 mo ago). CVM’s link indicates the latest recall is “incomplete” for my VIN...but that parts are not yet available.

Trying to read between the lines...I guess I am eligible for an “even more final” fix???

** this post was edited substantially from what I originally thought was happening **

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
133 Posts
my original guibo was replaced a year and a half ago. Yesterday the transit was in shop for front brake service/inspection so I asked my service adviser to see if a final u-joint fix was available for it and he did and said it was not. has almost 40k on it.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts