Ford Transit USA Forum banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Mike, if there is an independent (truck) driveshaft place near you, you might take it to them for a diagnosis. This is just a hunch, but the pictures you provided don’t look right...the ones where someone commented the “cap looks ate up”. I’m absolutely no driveshaft expert, but I don’t think the u-joint looks right...like maybe they put the wrong one in (or maybe the wrong shaft). I just don’t think there should be the (shiny) machined surfaces showing like that. I would think the machined surface is meant to be completely inserted into the yoke. It’s like maybe the u-joint is too small??? If they did put the wrong one in (or somehow mismatched with the driveshaft, I would wonder if contacting NHSTA to get a complaint logged would put this dealer on a very serious hot seat. Of course, this would be very time consuming, and if the independent could fix it for a reasonable fee, you could just go that route and call it a (bad) day.

I hope you live somewhere where there are options other than the dealership, because more things are bound to go wrong (with any vehicle), and doesn’t sound like the relationship between you and this dealer is going to suddenly get rosey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Good thought, impatient. I see what you mean, in those pics.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't think the picture's I posted where correct, it looks like the entire drive shaft is in 3 pieces, and I took a picture of a middle linkage. I will need to get a better picture to be sure, I could still have the guibo even. Check out this video, where someone completely removes the drive shaft from one of these vans, you can see around the 11:00 minute mark, it looks like the part that I took a picture of, that he's hammering out and attaching a new part to.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Got my 2015 T150 wagon back from dealer yesterday. Was in for the guibo recall. Shared that this is yet another 40,000 temporary fix. Van has 108,000 miles. He apologized for the repeated fixes required.
Dealer also replaced the self-destructing heat shields for $160 while the driveshaft was off the van. I was thrilled with that. He shared that he cut the labor cost way below actual time because he felt bad about this driveshaft issue hassle.

·
Registered
645 Posts
The guibo that was replaced on mine is the one that appears around the 2:20 min mark. In previous post, I mentioned I thought the u-joint looked wrong. But the middle u-joint shown in the 15:00-18:00 minute range looks similar. I thought Mike’s picture was of the one at the differential (shown at 2:00 min mark, just before the guibo). If that rear one is the one he was taking a picture of, then maybe it’s still wrong, but the middle one does look like his picture, and is perhaps OK after all. So I give up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
432 Posts
I got a let also, it has been replaced twice already, this one may have close to 10K miles on it.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

81 - 87 of 87 Posts