Ford Transit USA Forum banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Tiredder. You probably meant the universal Dasaita unit, rather than the one you linked to. I am not sure I like this brand. I am not sure about how the screen mounts to the main unit. appears to tilt up and down, but no side to side tilt, and it doesn't appear like the screen can be shifted up or down relative to the front face of the 2 din module. I would like to see multiple camera inputs and perhaps HDMI port/s too.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Here's a bazillion choices from $80-$300
Bill. By the time you filter out all the 1G memory units, car specific units, older Android operating systems, Ones that don't have back-up cameras, and/or multibple camera inputs, delivery in less than a month or 2, and other more outdated features, I get the 2000+ listings down to about 3 or 4 prospects on Ebay.

·
Registered
2020 T350 HR ext 3.5EB
136 Posts
Bill. By the time you filter out all the 1G memory units, car specific units, older Android operating systems, Ones that don't have back-up cameras, and/or multibple camera inputs, delivery in less than a month or 2, and other more outdated features, I get the 2000+ listings down to about 3 or 4 prospects on Ebay.
do you mind sharing your favorite prospects? I am curious.
I am contemplating between a chinese 10.1 Android radio and the Sony XAV AX8000

·
Registered
638 Posts
I prefer the convenience of being able to click on a link or address on a website or in a text message or email and start navigating from there, that's why I went Android Auto. Maybe if I had a permanent internet connection for the van I would do a full android headset but I would still be wary about putting any of my accounts in No-Name Chinese OEM equipment running a 3 year old OS that will never get security updates!

Edit: And both Android and Android auto work just fine offline as long as you remember to download the maps for the area you will be in before you set off.
Fair point, different solutions for different objectives. We go off-grid to get away from txts, messages, e-mails etc., and need to be able to navigate at will and on a whim, after being off-grid for several days.

Reactions: Mitch

·
Registered
475 Posts
do you mind sharing your favorite prospects? I am curious.
I am contemplating between a chinese 10.1 Android radio and the Sony XAV AX8000
Trying to do more research on this one.
Also interested in a Carbar unit, and have asked questions to Carbar store on AliExpress. It is significantly more expensive, with a larger screen, and wonder if it would fit very well.

I found this one and still am reading the specs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would like to know your choices as well.

I am looking for a 10 inch, with Android 9.0, at the very least 2G of ram, and 32G storage, tilt options, and real wheel control (not the addon ATOTO gives you), back up camera, and Google Assistant called upon from the factory wheel. Never used Android Carplay, but a wireless connection to it wouldn't hurt.

What do you think of the Tesla like giant mentioned before?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Freaky how fast you answered; The Tesla like is getting my attention more, and more... Would never use one of my real Google accounts on it sadly, but that is the price to pay on all these Chinese tablets. If only XDA devs would work on these; I used to flash phones so much back in the day thanks to so many devs out there working on popular phones. I wonder if it's a real 1080P screen, as in 1020x1080, and not just 600.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Regarding the ATOTO unit, the ATOTO sales rep replied to my email. He said they sold out in less than a week. (Makes me wonder how many were built?) He asked if I could kindly wait another 2 to 4 weeks when the next lot will available for sale. (It has already been over 2 months since I first tried to purchase one.)

·
Registered
475 Posts
That is odd; I can see the ATOTO on Amazon Prime for me available... but am not going to get it.
Link? I typically get listings for the 3 other models that are being sold when I search for ATOTO A6Y1021PR on Prime.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I am favoring the Carbar 12.8 Tesly Style unit. Bit more spendy that I want, but all of its features plus it appears to be a newer design than many of the others. I have been tying to communicate with the Carbar store on AliExpress, but their message center is no longer working for me. (Message failed to send error keeps popping up after I push send.) They asked for an image of the Transit dashboard, I tried to send one and then the error message started being returned.
I like how the Carbar screen can be rotated, moved up and down and side-to-side. This model appears to have most of the latest features being added to these types of units.

I just wish I can get confirmation that it will fit!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Forgot to ask. Does anyone know why there aren't any Android 10. operating system units available?

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Maybe they can't be pirated yet? Someone will figure out how to hack in soon.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Maybe they can't be pirated yet? Someone will figure out how to hack in soon.
AOSP (the core of the Android OS) is completely open source, beyond that the whole Google stack is also free to use as long as you are not in Europe. So availability is not the issue.

More likely the Chinese OEM had experience and extra hardware left over from prodiction runs of phones from 2 years ago and decided to turn that stock into another revenue stream. It ain't easy writing new firmware so why not use old hardware! These headunits aren't exactly the most demanding performance-wise and will be plugged in at all times so old hardware is not a big hindrance.

·
Registered
475 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
I am adding a link to a great thread that details all of the parts required for the installation of any Head Unit.
One of the reasons is that the AliExpress CarBar seller of their 12.8 unit is asking about CANBus. It appears that some units have built in CANBus control to maintain Steering wheel control buttons. Other install threads state to purchase the Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface. (About $45) I am wondering which is the better/easier route to go; built in the unit, (Cost adder of between $35 and $50) or the add-on Metra Axxess? The built in the unit will save a bit of space having to deal with another little box that has to be stuffed somewhere in the dash.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I had a message conversation with the CarBar store and they say their 12.8 will fit. Now I need to decide if this is the unit for me. This unit is a bit pricey versus the ATOTO, for about the same features.
I still need to get clarification on built in CAN versus purchasing the Metra Axess ASWC-1.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a message conversation with the CarBar store and they say their 12.8 will fit. Now I need to decide if this is the unit for me. This unit is a bit pricey versus the ATOTO, for about the same features.
I still need to get clarification on built in CAN versus purchasing the Metra Axess ASWC-1.
Thank you for your investigation.

I may be crazy enough to buy it if I could call upon Google Assistant with the wheel button, or customize a shortcut for it. If this thing could be rooted, I would go for it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The CarBar person wrote back stating with built in CAN you don't need the Metra Axess. He reminded me it is on sale until the 21st. (AliExpress summer sale.) Not sure I want to spend $535.60 with our state of the union these days.

I do not believe it has Google Assistant capability. It has its own version of voice control

·
Registered
21 Posts
The CarBar person wrote back stating with built in CAN you don't need the Metra Axess. He reminded me it is on sale until the 21st. (AliExpress summer sale.) Not sure I want to spend $535.60 with our state of the union these days.

I do not believe it has Google Assistant capability. It has its own version of voice control
I am confused because ATOTO says it can call upon Google Assistant via BT, and phone, which doesn't seem ideal, but ok. However, they advertise SWC, yet, they offer an external media controller optional addon. Can we ditch that ugly media controller, and use the factory controls on the wheel, or not?

Also, the Carbar Tesla unit seems to be on Amazon as Carbar, and other brands that copy the same hardware

And it also seems to be rootable!!!!

If it is rootable, we can also back up its whole partition, and hopefully get TWRP

41 - 60 of 89 Posts