Ford Transit USA Forum banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
I went ahaead and purchased the recommended CarBar unit via the CarBar Store on AliExpress today. (Their summer sale + some coupons made it almost affordable.) The Carbar version listed on Amazon does not list the same options as the one I purchased. My version has 64G ROM, CarPlay and CAN for steering wheel control. I am supposed to receive mine by July 7th, (Yeah sure it will arrive by then o_O) Amazon States Deliver between Aug. 20th and Sept 11th.

Reactions: Mitch

·
Registered
475 Posts
Newuser21 qeote: Can we ditch that ugly media controller, and use the factory controls on the wheel, or not?

Carbar stated that with the CAN option, it will interface with our steering wheel controls. (Crossing my Fingers.)
Regarding ATOTO, perhaps the OP knows if one can get the steering wheel controls to work, but since I see ATOTO's remote mounted on this shift lever, perhaps not.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I went ahaead and purchased the recommended CarBar unit via the CarBar Store on AliExpress today.
Eagerly awaiting install pics!

What dash kit did you go with to replace the surrounding plastics?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Eagerly awaiting install pics!

What dash kit did you go with to replace the surrounding plastics?
Last August I purchased the Metra 99-5832G Single/Double DIN Dash Install Kit for Select 2015+ Ford Transit

·
Registered
21 Posts
I went ahaead and purchased the recommended CarBar unit via the CarBar Store on AliExpress today. (Their summer sale + some coupons made it almost affordable.) The Carbar version listed on Amazon does not list the same options as the one I purchased. My version has 64G ROM, CarPlay and CAN for steering wheel control. I am supposed to receive mine by July 7th, (Yeah sure it will arrive by then o_O) Amazon States Deliver between Aug. 20th and Sept 11th.
Nice!!! How much did you end up paying total with all discounts applied?

I wonder if a third party warranty is worth it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I received notice that the CarBar shipped today from China. One week has passed before they shipped it. I really doubt it will arrive by July 7th as stated.

·
Registered
475 Posts
My Carbar arrived today. I'll post a few images as I unpack it. My wife says I have to finish some other house projects before installing this unit. Any opinions if I should start a new thread for its installation or use this thread?

·
Registered
97 Posts
maps.me app work on this unit?

·
Registered
475 Posts
I removed the CarBar unit from its box. No manual or any installation instructions. There is a basic wiring schematic label on top of the unit. (A quick internet search for an installation manual. - Nothing.) Other forums state there is no documentation and one has to figure out how to interface the wiring to your car by yourself, and that it is not too hard.
I purchased the "CAN" option and it came in a separate bag that had "2015 on Transit" on a label. I hope these connectors fit at least some of the Transit radio connectors.
It will be some time before I do the installation. I need to search and find all of the good forum installations and determine what other adapters I will need for the installation. (I am not that happy with our forum search engine. More difficult than I thought it would be search for"keywords" that find threads that I have read in the past, and thought I had bookmarked, but can't find now.)

Attachments

·
Registered
475 Posts
Since my last post:
1. I purchased an OEM 2017 Electrical diagram manual. I don't like how Ford presents the schematics, and diagrams. It has taken me a few hours to become familiar with how their schematics work and all the references to connectors and location of electrcal modules.
2. I tore apart the dash and removed the existing radio: My radio option is what the manual calls "Audio System Navigation - AM/FM/CD/SYNC". 8 pages of partial schematic diagrams, that I find difficult to work with. Then one has to find the connector reference number and go to another section of the manual to look at the specific connector.
3. I placed my CARBAR 12.8 radio body roughly in place to see what wiring connectors plug into the existing one in the van. From my perspective, this is not all that easy. My Carbar shows a schematic, but there are no pin numbers and wire colors described on the schematic, so I have to map out all the wires and be sure they match up to the correct van wires.
4. I am trying to understand the wiring of the 4" Front Control/Display Interface module (FDCIM). My radio wire pigtail has a connector with only 3 wires in it and the van harness connector that plugs into the display has 10 wires. (12 pin connector.)(This is the module that some installers leave in and others have taken out.) Therefore I have to map this out too.
Perhaps I am reading into the ease of the radio installation, but I am finding it more complex as described by others during their installation.

Attachments

·
Registered
475 Posts
My electrical schematic indicates control for left and right front speakers and left and right rear speakers.
Physically when I look at all the speakers, I have left and right front door speakers along with the front windshield pillar tweeters. In the rear, I have a pair of speakers halfway down the van and a pair of speakers in the rear doors. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
475 Posts
For those thinking about installing the CARBAR 12.8 unit like I purchased, I have run into problems trying to understand the wiring. I purchased (On CARBAR's reccomendation) their steering wheel/CAN converter box that makes the unit "CAN" compatible. (See attached image) There is absolutely no information on this box or any wiring schematics that explain its functionality. An internet search turned up similar complaints that it is a "Black Box" that is programmed to a specific vehicle (or car brand). I am assuming you just plug things in, but this box does not utilize High Speed CAN as far as I can tell, and when I remove the Transit's FDCIM display screen, I am wondering what functionality or error I may get.
The Maestro ADS-MRR Universal Radio Replacement and Steering Wheel Interface box that others on the forum purchase may be the better way to go, and purchase the CARBAR without CAN capability. I will write CARBAR again and see if they can explain things.

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
My electrical schematic indicates control for left and right front speakers and left and right rear speakers.
Physically when I look at all the speakers, I have left and right front door speakers along with the front windshield pillar tweeters. In the rear, I have a pair of speakers halfway down the van and a pair of speakers in the rear doors. Hope this helps.
Yes, I have the same settings. When I tested the balance and fade on the radio, I found that the fade switches between the front speaker doors and the other set of mid-speakers and speakers installed on the rear door.

My question was to try to understand if the system has 4 channels or 6 channels and it seems that they are only 4 channels, the front door set and the middle and rear speakers are connected in parallel.

·
Registered
228 Posts
For those thinking about installing the CARBAR 12.8 unit like I purchased, I have run into problems trying to understand the wiring. I purchased (On CARBAR's reccomendation) their steering wheel/CAN converter box that makes the unit "CAN" compatible. (See attached image) There is absolutely no information on this box or any wiring schematics that explain its functionality. An internet search turned up similar complaints that it is a "Black Box" that is programmed to a specific vehicle (or car brand). I am assuming you just plug things in, but this box does not utilize High Speed CAN as far as I can tell, and when I remove the Transit's FDCIM display screen, I am wondering what functionality or error I may get.
The Maestro ADS-MRR Universal Radio Replacement and Steering Wheel Interface box that others on the forum purchase may be the better way to go, and purchase the CARBAR without CAN capability. I will write CARBAR again and see if they can explain things.
Stupid question: Did you try to scan the code in in the label on the box? In there said "scan for the wire diagram"

·
Registered
475 Posts
Stupid question: Did you try to scan the code in in the label on the box? In there said "scan for the wire diagram"
Just downloaded a few barcode apps. Both of them read the QR label and it returned a short list of 4 different vehicles. No link/s to a web site. Great Idea though!

·
Registered
228 Posts
@Tijoe , if you have an Android (I think Apple does too), just point it with the camera and the software will recognize it as a barcode and point you to the place, which means you don't need to download an app.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts