Ford Transit USA Forum banner
141 - 145 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
These level sensors are about the most accurate you'll get. Drill a few holes in the tank and good-to-go. It would be cool if it could to the fuel tank as well; might be able to do it with one of the external sensor setups. I wouldn't recommend drilling into that tank.

They recently added support for RuuviTag sensors which make temp and humidity super easy.

If you're feeling techy and/or want another usage for it, you can install their VenusOS build into a Raspberry Pi and do all the external connectors with USB stuff. I went with the Cerbo GX and it's prettier; but functionally about the same. I do wonder if it would be faster on a nice RPi4b. I think the Cerbo is Beaglebone based - or the previous version was.

·
Registered
2022 T350HD #11000 Avalanche Gray
162 Posts
These level sensors are about the most accurate you'll get. Drill a few holes in the tank and good-to-go. It would be cool if it could to the fuel tank as well; might be able to do it with one of the external sensor setups. I wouldn't recommend drilling into that tank.

They recently added support for RuuviTag sensors which make temp and humidity super easy.

If you're feeling techy and/or want another usage for it, you can install their VenusOS build into a Raspberry Pi and do all the external connectors with USB stuff. I went with the Cerbo GX and it's prettier; but functionally about the same. I do wonder if it would be faster on a nice RPi4b. I think the Cerbo is Beaglebone based - or the previous version was.
Thank you for the link.
I saw a review where the person went from the Pi to this display and said it was much better.

Reactions: gregoryx

·
Registered
2021 Cargo T350 EL High roof AWD Ecoboost
455 Posts
All good! That's a Victron Cerbo GX 50 display. In the Victron world, there's a "brain" concept referred to either as "Cerbo GX" (for the current pre-packaged version) or as "Venus OS" (which can be loaded on Raspberry Pi or other ARM systems).

It's a pretty nice prepackaged setup for managing electronics, water tanks, temps and humidity, plus relays, motors and other stuff. It's not as fancy as the PicoMarine setup nor anywhere near the full marine stuff; but it's not as expensive either.

The display setup I'm using on it has much improved since that photo:
View attachment 165548
This looks great! I didn't realize you can customize the display. Can you share how you did that and maybe share the actual configuration?
Which temperature sensors are you using?

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
This looks great! I didn't realize you can customize the display. Can you share how you did that and maybe share the actual configuration?
Which temperature sensors are you using?
Amazingly, it's actually even cooler than it looks. Each box is a touch-point for functions as well - like turning the inverter on/off, setting current draw for shore power, stuff like that. It's all running from code this person wrote. Basically, you load the SetupHelper script by enabling SSH, pulling it down and running it. Then it installs his other scripts from there. This is the most recent GuiMods script. All configured from the Cerbo menu once it's loaded. Latest versions survive firmware updates, even. Pretty nice.

I've got three types of temp sensors: a Victron stock one (with the battery terminal end on it); raw TI sensors clipped onto a wire; and now RuuviTag sensors. The RuuviTags require the current beta code (2.80~xx) which is quite stable now. The RuuviTags are BT-LE with either temp-only but outdoor ready OR temp and humidity for indoor (motion not currently working). With how well they work, I'll probably dump the wired ones. I've been playing with putting them different places to see how much the internal temp varies.

The Ruuvi tags also show up in the VRM dashboard and advanced displays - including the humidity. MOAR DATA!

Current expectation for locations:
  • outside for outside temp
  • outside water tank
  • inside water tank
  • batteries (currently wired there)
  • back by the bed
  • by the windshield - varies quite a bit there

·
Registered
2021 Cargo T350 EL High roof AWD Ecoboost
455 Posts
Amazingly, it's actually even cooler than it looks. Each box is a touch-point for functions as well - like turning the inverter on/off, setting current draw for shore power, stuff like that. It's all running from code this person wrote. Basically, you load the SetupHelper script by enabling SSH, pulling it down and running it. Then it installs his other scripts from there. This is the most recent GuiMods script. All configured from the Cerbo menu once it's loaded. Latest versions survive firmware updates, even. Pretty nice.

I've got three types of temp sensors: a Victron stock one (with the battery terminal end on it); raw TI sensors clipped onto a wire; and now RuuviTag sensors. The RuuviTags require the current beta code (2.80~xx) which is quite stable now. The RuuviTags are BT-LE with either temp-only but outdoor ready OR temp and humidity for indoor (motion not currently working). With how well they work, I'll probably dump the wired ones. I've been playing with putting them different places to see how much the internal temp varies.

The Ruuvi tags also show up in the VRM dashboard and advanced displays - including the humidity. MOAR DATA!

Current expectation for locations:
  • outside for outside temp
  • outside water tank
  • inside water tank
  • batteries (currently wired there)
  • back by the bed
  • by the windshield - varies quite a bit there
Amazing, thank you!

141 - 145 of 145 Posts