Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Which engine would be best for a camper conversion?

• Total voters
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,662 Posts
Overall mpg is pretty comparable when driven like a Grandma. Get aggressive with the throttle and the 3.7 will drive less like a Grandma and maybe a little more like your youngest Uncle and get slightly worse mpg. Get the EcoBoost and it drives like a teenager who just got his license and is alone for the first time in the car and you'll lose another couple of mpg.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Haha - thank you @Timetogo and @GapRunr. That makes me feel better if I decide to pull the trigger on the 3.7! I currently have a Prius and a '64 VW Beetle, so I'm not sure I'd even know what to do with all that power. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a RWB, MR , 3.7 It is still an empty cargo and were getting over 20 in mixed driving. I did drive a LWB 3.5 I'm glad I went with the RWB I understand it weights 500lbs. less? I would not mind a 3.5 but the 3.7 works find in WNC hills and is probably easier on the drivetrain.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Before I purchased mine, I had the opportunity to chat with a fleet manager who had both 3.7 and 3.5 Transits. He said many of his 3.7s approach 300k miles with only wear items. He also said he saw some turbo issues at 160k miles on the EcoBoost Transits. After this discussion, I drove both and decided on the 3.7. After all, it is a van, not a sports car.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I would vote for the 3.7L for the rwb and long wheelbase but I would vote for the 3.5L for the extended and especially the extended with dually wheels.
I have a High roof long wheel base with a 3.7L and it has plenty of power.
In my mind a camper conversion is feather light , no need for a bunch of cabinets , beds , chairs sinks etc. Van life ussually equals cramped life.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Ditto - mines a T350 EL HR 3.7 w/ 4.10 rear. I get average 16. Cargo van for service work, hwy miles. Just depends on your foot if you want plus or minus 2 more miles a gallon.

·
Registered
208 Posts
These are some speed and mileage from a trip. 2017 T350HD. 3.5L EcoBoost, HR, Extended, Winnebago Paseo so about 9,700 pounds wet and traveling.
Lancaster, Barstow, Lancaster, Baker, China Ranch Date Farm, Lancaster, Barstow, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Prometory Point, Ely, ..... Lancaster. I took a few photos of the trip meter.
Highlights. 15 mpg at 70 mph into a big headwind. 18+ coming down Donner on I80. 12 mpg runners around suburbia.

20190511/55b573b23497b4d24a2bba3d66776e13.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21 - 27 of 27 Posts