Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1581 - 1600 of 1622 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
You didn't read all the posts?

1. Yes, it's still an issue for 2018, there have been no mechanical changes for the Transit since it was first introduced in 2015.

2. Yes, there was a recall; of earlier models that did not have the plastic gutters that were installed at the factory starting in 2016.

2a. The plastic gutters do NOT prevent water from dripping on the upside down air intake box or firewall wiring harness, but they do reduce it.

Ford has not corrected the problem of water entering the air intake system, or of it damaging the wiring harness or wicking through the firewall. 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018; they are all the same. The BEST solutions have been created by members here, and they cost a whopping $1.78 to enact.

Can you point me to the explanation on how to fix this problem? My 2015 broke down, with water in the engine oil the air filter filter compartment caveatted and the air filter sensor needed replacement.

Recently, (since the last heavy wet snow fall) I noticed a strange sound when I started the van. It sounded like the engine wasn't getting enough air. I thought it would get better when I brushed the snow off the windshield and hood, but it didn't. So I went to the cab and popped the hood latch. I immediately heard a distinct difference in the sound of the engine as soon as the latch popped the hood up a tiny bit. When I lifted the hood I could see that water had started to drip into the air intake.

It seems that the engine was not getting air or wasn't getting enough air with the hood covered in snow?? What the heck? I am not a mechanic by any means but I have owned vehicles for decades and lived through many winters. Am I wrong in assuming that when the hood is covered in snow, the engine should still get enough air from underneath the engine (ground).

So I guess with this vehicle, I will have to brush off all the snow, unlatch the hood and open it before starting the engine. Otherwise, expect a tow and repair bill?

Ford told me there was never a recall regarding the air sensor, venting etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just returned from servicing air filter at Ford Dealer on 3.7L Transit Van, and was informed that the air filter was saturated with water. Seems that every time it rains or snows, water will be diverted directly to the air filter box. Ford is aware of the issue, and has not offered a solution.

I suggest that all owners call Ford at 1-800-392-FORD with their concerns
I have had water get into the engine oil? Not sure how that happened or that it wasn't a coincidence that the air filter compartment caveatted and water was running into the air intake. The Air Flow Sensor also was trashed and had to be replaced. The issue cost me a day of my life with the van in a shop, towed in on a hook and about $400 repair bill.

That was about a year ago. My van is a campervan. At the time I did not have a Webasto Heater installed and it was cold and snowy. I started the van and idled the engine to warm the van a few times during the night. In the morning the van would not start.

A couple of days ago. I started the van, turned on the defrost to dry the moisture on the inside of the windshield. Then I went out to brush snow off the windsheild. The engine sounded like crap. So I popped the hood latch, the second the hood popped up a little bit, the tone of the engine sounded normal. I got out and opened the hood all the way and took a look around. The first thing I noticed was water dripping into the air intake. On my 2015 there are two louvered vents on the top side of the hood. Under the hood the vent on the drivers side has a black plastic cover over it. The one on the passenger side above the air intake does not have a plastic cover. I had not noticed that before. I drove straight over to a ford dealer and checked it out with the parts guy. I thought my van was missing a cover? Turns out there isn't a cover for that side. I am convinced there is a design flaw that clearly allows water into the air intake and also blocks air from getting into the intake when there is snow on the windshield and hood. I drove professional and have lived in the north all of my life. It boggles my mind that there is a vehicle that starves for air when there is snow on the hood and windshield. There has good to be air available between the ground and the engine? It can't be rocket science to figure this out. I will definitely be calling Ford. I absolutely have to have a cure for this issue. I cannot risk another break down nor to replace the entire van for one that has a better air intake set up? I love driving the van. Visibility is better than any other vehicle I've owned. Fuel economy is pretty good considering the size of the vehicle. It makes a great camper van platform. All in all it is a great vehicle. With the exception of a screwed up design flaw, that should be fixable?

If anyone has been able to resolve the problem. I am very interested. I will call Ford for sure, probably several times. Thank you for the number and suggestion. In the meanwhile, I want to get the problem fixed before it costs me $$$ in damages and repairs!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quick check in dry weather would be quart full of water in cowl with hood open. Readily apparent if leakage occurs. A simple but sobering test. Let us know how it goes....
The mechanic that did the repairs on my van last year suggested I go over to the local ford dealership and talk to the service counter about a recall/solution. In hindsight, I have just realized he seemed to be aware of the problem and likely had previous experience with the same issue.

The Ford Service Department denied that there had been a recall pertaining to the issue or a known history of the problem? However he did come out and look at the van and did do the same water test you described. He pushed and pulled on the plastic trough type thing above the air intake. He said that there must have been debris, leaves or other causing the trough to overflow.

I am a bit OCD and that is one of the things that I check and clean frequently, particularly in the spring and fall. I habitually clean out that area and have with every vehicle I've owned for decades. I am totally confident debris did not cause water to flow into the air intake.

I am thinking of getting a shower cap type of thing to cover the air intake at night or during any kind of precipitation when the van is parked?

Not much of a solution but it is all I've got at the moment!

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
If anyone has been able to resolve the problem. I am very interested. I will call Ford for sure, probably several times. Thank you for the number and suggestion. In the meanwhile, I want to get the problem fixed before it costs me $$$ in damages and repairs!
Yes, many of us have resolved the problem. The solution is to Spend $1.78 on a Sterilite dish pan and cut it to fit around the intake duct to fit over the airbox.

Please refer to posts further back in this thread for instructions. Search word: Turd

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Yes, Transits have issues with water intrusion into the engine compartment including water into the airbox (follow surly Bill's advice). That is an entirely separate matter from the issue you're concerned about here:
On my 2015 there are two louvered vents on the top side of the hood. Under the hood the vent on the drivers side has a black plastic cover over it. The one on the passenger side above the air intake does not have a plastic cover. I had not noticed that before. I drove straight over to a ford dealer and checked it out with the parts guy. I thought my van was missing a cover? Turns out there isn't a cover for that side. I am convinced there is a design flaw that clearly allows water into the air intake and also blocks air from getting into the intake when there is snow on the windshield and hood
You are describing the normal configuration and parts of the passenger compartment air intake system. That has no relation to the engine air intake system. The passenger compartment air intake design is fine. You can stop worrying about that. Find a new dealer. Your dealer and his parts guy doesn't know anything about Transits.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Tried to purchase the JK4Z-9661-D from tascaparts.com for my 3.5 Ecoboost.

They won't sell me the part, say it doesn't fit my vin. Does anyone know if there is changeover date for this part date for the 2016s?

·
Registered
82 Posts

They won't sell me the part, say it doesn't fit my vin. Does anyone know if there is changeover date for this part date for the 2016s?
JK4Z-9661-A fits 2016-2018 3.7L
JK4Z-9661-D fits 2016-2018 3.5 eco boost
JK4Z-9661-B fits 2015-2018 3.2L and 2015 3.7L

Purchase from somewhere else.

·
Registered
859 Posts

Pure speculation on my part, but, if you have a 3-wire connector to the sensor on the air box lid, like a 2015 EB does, you are probably out of luck (getting a “new-improved” lid). If you have a 2-wire connector, then there should be an improved version (though I haven’t double-checked part numbers shown in previous post 1591, or earlier).

2015 Tall, Medium Length, Cargo, 3.5EB, pretty generic-looking, DIY camper

Reactions: surly Bill

·
Registered
28 Posts
Pure speculation on my part, but, if you have a 3-wire connector to the sensor on the air box lid, like a 2015 EB does, you are probably out of luck (getting a “new-improved” lid). If you have a 2-wire connector, then there should be an improved version (though I haven’t double-checked part numbers shown in previous post 1591, or earlier).

2015 Tall, Medium Length, Cargo, 3.5EB, pretty generic-looking, DIY camper
Thanks, mine is the two wire. I'll try ordering elsewhere and mentioning:
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 18-2321

cheers

·
Registered
97 Posts
I ordered mine from Tasca Parts. They initially kicked the order back, but a couple of emails back and forth resolved the issue and they sent it out. This was probably about 9 months or so ago...

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a 2018 Ford Transit High Roof 148" 3.7l with 18,000 miles, built in May 2018.

I stopped at my local Ford Parts Center and picked up Part #: JK4Z-9661-A ($37) and Part #: JU5Z-14A163-MA ($7).
Stopped at home depot to pick up some tubing ($13), clamps ($2) and silicone to reroute the water discharge and seal up the windscreen, all per Ford Transit Water Leak Fix - Mike Mas - iRV2 Forums
Also stopped at pep-boys to pick up a replacement ($18) air filter (kinda dirty, a very tiny spot of mold).

So, I guess I went on the high side and spent about $80. I'll probably use some tupper-ware to modify into a cover for the driver-side wiring harness connection thingy.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
The whole factory trough Drain needs to be replaced, It clogs up too easily.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2018 Ford Transit High Roof 148" 3.7l with 18,000 miles, built in May 2018.

I stopped at my local Ford Parts Center and picked up Part #: JK4Z-9661-A ($37) and Part #: JU5Z-14A163-MA ($7).
Stopped at home depot to pick up some tubing ($13), clamps ($2) and silicone to reroute the water discharge and seal up the windscreen, all per Ford Transit Water Leak Fix - Mike Mas - iRV2 Forums
Also stopped at pep-boys to pick up a replacement ($18) air filter (kinda dirty, a very tiny spot of mold).

So, I guess I went on the high side and spent about $80. I'll probably use some tupper-ware to modify into a cover for the driver-side wiring harness connection thingy.
Thank you so much for this post. I have a background in maintenance planning. I am absolutely not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination. I totally believe that failure to plan is a plan to fail.

I bought my Ford Transit 250 Cargo Van, in 2018 without knowledge of this water leaking from the windshield over the electronics and into the air filter housing, destroying the air filter and causing damage and breakdowns. These water leaks have not only left me stranded waiting for a tow truck, they have also taken a large chunk of my monthly pension and left me broke and ill prepared for the next inevitable break down. Without the help of this forum and iRV2 and other such sights I would have to continue to "plan to fail". Thanks again

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Didn't Ford fix this problem? :sneaky:

Reactions: Farmnany

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just returned from servicing air filter at Ford Dealer on 3.7L Transit Van, and was informed that the air filter was saturated with water. Seems that every time it rains or snows, water will be diverted directly to the air filter box. Ford is aware of the issue, and has not offered a solution.

I suggest that all owners call Ford at 1-800-392-FORD with their concerns
Have been researching this trying to find a solution to resolve rain water and melting snow running off the windshield on top of the air flow sensor and into the air box under the hood on the passenger side. On the driver's side rain water and melting snow runs through the gaps and pours down the firewall all over two wiring harnesses on the fire wall.

I have called FORD several times. There are at least 3 TSB's that refer to the above:
TSB 19-2091 Supersedes TSB 18-2321 which Supersedes TSB 17-0014

Also there is mention of FSA 15B39, TSB 15-0118 on the TSB-2321?

The title is: Various Drivability Concerns And/Or Illuminated Malfunction Indicator Lamp On
Model: FORD 2015-2018 Transit

There is a list of replacement parts, totalling a cost of approx $170. Has anyone bought the replacement parts? If so how is that working out? Does anyone know if the replacement parts, effectively resolve the water leak problems?

Parts list includes the following:
  • Water Deflector (Cowel panel grill)
  • Air Filter
  • Mastic Patch
  • Leaf Screen Foam Seal
  • Engine Air Cleaner Cover
  • Wire Harness Tie Strap Retainer
  • Moto Craft Metal Surface Prep Wipes
  • Moto Craft Silicone Gasket & Sealant

I have a new engine air filter on hand. I won't be starting the engine without first checking the filter and replacing if necessary. I need to reassure myself that starting and running the engine isn't likely to cost several hundred dollars in repairs due to water damage.

Thank you to anyone who has any advise to offer or experience to share in regards to correcting water damage to components in the engine compartment.

Heather

1581 - 1600 of 1622 Posts