Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1601 - 1620 of 1622 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Have been researching this trying to find a solution to resolve rain water and melting snow running off the windshield on top of the air flow sensor and into the air box under the hood on the passenger side. On the driver's side rain water and melting snow runs through the gaps and pours down the firewall all over two wiring harnesses on the fire wall.

I have called FORD several times. There are at least 3 TSB's that refer to the above:
TSB 19-2091 Supersedes TSB 18-2321 which Supersedes TSB 17-0014

Also there is mention of FSA 15B39, TSB 15-0118 on the TSB-2321?

The title is: Various Drivability Concerns And/Or Illuminated Malfunction Indicator Lamp On
Model: FORD 2015-2018 Transit

There is a list of replacement parts, totalling a cost of approx $170. Has anyone bought the replacement parts? If so how is that working out? Does anyone know if the replacement parts, effectively resolve the water leak problems?

Parts list includes the following:
  • Water Deflector (Cowel panel grill)
  • Air Filter
  • Mastic Patch
  • Leaf Screen Foam Seal
  • Engine Air Cleaner Cover
  • Wire Harness Tie Strap Retainer
  • Moto Craft Metal Surface Prep Wipes
  • Moto Craft Silicone Gasket & Sealant

I have a new engine air filter on hand. I won't be starting the engine without first checking the filter and replacing if necessary. I need to reassure myself that starting and running the engine isn't likely to cost several hundred dollars in repairs due to water damage.

Thank you to anyone who has any advise to offer or experience to share in regards to correcting water damage to components in the engine compartment.

Heather
Some people have sealed the trough themselves , Post #3 in this forum thread.

Myself, I used black Silicone to bridge the trough/windshield gap.

·
Registered
2021 AWD Transit 350 148" Long HR
29 Posts
Do the 2021 or 2020 Transits still have this problem, or has Ford fixed it in these newer model years?

Edit: Nevermind, I found a reference to post 1493 that answers the question :

·
Registered
11 Posts
the air cleaner box/ gutter design on this van is a Total disaster-
there is NO Way Ford spray water Tested this van and does Not Know about this-
Every bit of this design is Flawed - from weak springs to upside down U channel to
no U channel at rear o of air cleaner at all to Grossly undersized Drain Holes
to water Pouring Directly onto Air Box and Wire Hub-

The Only way I can see for ford is going to fix this is to make a Completely New
Air box and Drain Gutter - and I dont see Ford doing it until people start getting Killed
from vans Stalling in traffic causing crashes from engine flooding with
water --sucking paper filter into engine and wiring hub/EMS shorting out from water /ice-

My neighbor owns a long haul trucking company-and is also a Ford man for years-
I showed it to him and he was stunned at the Totally Flawed Design as he put it -

I am a Honda trained Motorcycle mechanic -I have worked for Honda -Yamaha and Kawasaki
over 12 years -I know my way around high performance engines -I am not a car mechanic
but I do work on my own cars and have never taken any vehicle I've owned to a shop for repair-

I have worked in High tech assembling machines that make microchips
and was entrusted to handle assemblies that cost from $174,000 to $423,000 each -
all Easily damaged - Clean room- Helium leak tested -So I am no Goober -

after examining the air cleaner / gutter design closely for weeks I will show you what I did to fix this-

I DID NOT want to do this But it is the ONLY Way I could See to Make Sure
DIRT / WATER and SHITTT is not getting sucked threw my expensive Brand New Sweet engine -

the Turd is a Good temporary fix for the water getting on the air cleaner Box -
BUT if water is getting in there is NO Doubt at UNFiltered Air is getting in ALSO-

So now Im going to point out a few of the things I found that are not Obvious -

Rear of Airbox ha NO Sealing U channel at ALL -

The 3 rear tabs on airbox lid fit into 3 U shaped Capture slots have about 4MM of GAP
between top of 3 tabs and capture slots -
(My lid can be pulled up and down 4MM at rear of assembly)

To remove this Slop in the fit of the 3 tabs I cut 6 pieces of wood (popsicle stick)
trimmed about 3 MM from the width and using 3M Super 77
I glued 2 sticks (Stacked) to the Upper Edge of Each Capture U slot- (4MM thick)

on the Lower piece of wood I cut it to a wedge shape to help in ease of assembly-

Doing this Forces the rear of the air box top to clamp down on the filter rubber gasket More properly -

Next using Blue Permatex RTV Gasket Maker I coated ALL of the Mating Surfaces
with a thick layer of this silicone -( I used Blue so I could See it better)

U Channel- top and Bottom -
Especially thick at the REAR of the box where there is NO U Channel
Air Filter Rubber seal -

I allowed the silicone to dry for about 1 hour before assembly -
this allows silicone to firm up somewhat so that during assembly
the silicon does not shift position to much --

Putting silicone on the filter was like trying to frost a 7 sided cake with $2 per ounce frosting-
(now from experience- put silicone on Bottom of rubber gasket First )

On Lower air box I put the silicone tube directly against the U channel to fill it smoothly
in the Areas that I could get to- in other areas I used popsicle stick as a troll to force
into U channel and to smooth it out to consistent layer --

Then I placed filter in position and then using a wood paint stick pushed down on the rubber
gasket to make sure filter was seated firmly in position -
then I put the top on the Box and snapped the springs into place --

I am going to let this dry for about 3or 4 days to let the ammonia evaporate and
fully cure the silicone --
I have NEVER put silicone on Thick like this on anything that I have ever worked on so
I dont really know what the cure time is -
the fit on this airbox parts is so poor that it needs this to make a seal I Trust -

when I was a MC mechanic one tube of silicone sealer would last me almost a full year
and I used it Everyday -

Lower Box

Rear of top that has No U channel- Thick Here -

Filter in place-

I am also going to put aluminum Duct tape across the joint area once the silicone is dried -
and I am going to put the TURD in place also -

I also Sealed the seam between the windshield and the gutter with Black window caulking
and will show it in another post --

I do Know that this is going to be hard to take apart --
but I will handle that when the time comes -

Bitch at Ford and Not me I did not design the piece of shitttt air box/ gutter system -Jay
the air cleaner box/ gutter design on this van is a Total disaster-
there is NO Way Ford spray water Tested this van and does Not Know about this-
Every bit of this design is Flawed - from weak springs to upside down U channel to
no U channel at rear o of air cleaner at all to Grossly undersized Drain Holes
to water Pouring Directly onto Air Box and Wire Hub-

The Only way I can see for ford is going to fix this is to make a Completely New
Air box and Drain Gutter - and I dont see Ford doing it until people start getting Killed
from vans Stalling in traffic causing crashes from engine flooding with
water --sucking paper filter into engine and wiring hub/EMS shorting out from water /ice-

My neighbor owns a long haul trucking company-and is also a Ford man for years-
I showed it to him and he was stunned at the Totally Flawed Design as he put it -

I am a Honda trained Motorcycle mechanic -I have worked for Honda -Yamaha and Kawasaki
over 12 years -I know my way around high performance engines -I am not a car mechanic
but I do work on my own cars and have never taken any vehicle I've owned to a shop for repair-

I have worked in High tech assembling machines that make microchips
and was entrusted to handle assemblies that cost from $174,000 to $423,000 each -
all Easily damaged - Clean room- Helium leak tested -So I am no Goober -

after examining the air cleaner / gutter design closely for weeks I will show you what I did to fix this-

I DID NOT want to do this But it is the ONLY Way I could See to Make Sure
DIRT / WATER and SHITTT is not getting sucked threw my expensive Brand New Sweet engine -

the Turd is a Good temporary fix for the water getting on the air cleaner Box -
BUT if water is getting in there is NO Doubt at UNFiltered Air is getting in ALSO-

So now Im going to point out a few of the things I found that are not Obvious -

Rear of Airbox ha NO Sealing U channel at ALL -

The 3 rear tabs on airbox lid fit into 3 U shaped Capture slots have about 4MM of GAP
between top of 3 tabs and capture slots -
(My lid can be pulled up and down 4MM at rear of assembly)

To remove this Slop in the fit of the 3 tabs I cut 6 pieces of wood (popsicle stick)
trimmed about 3 MM from the width and using 3M Super 77
I glued 2 sticks (Stacked) to the Upper Edge of Each Capture U slot- (4MM thick)

on the Lower piece of wood I cut it to a wedge shape to help in ease of assembly-

Doing this Forces the rear of the air box top to clamp down on the filter rubber gasket More properly -

Next using Blue Permatex RTV Gasket Maker I coated ALL of the Mating Surfaces
with a thick layer of this silicone -( I used Blue so I could See it better)

U Channel- top and Bottom -
Especially thick at the REAR of the box where there is NO U Channel
Air Filter Rubber seal -

I allowed the silicone to dry for about 1 hour before assembly -
this allows silicone to firm up somewhat so that during assembly
the silicon does not shift position to much --

Putting silicone on the filter was like trying to frost a 7 sided cake with $2 per ounce frosting-
(now from experience- put silicone on Bottom of rubber gasket First )

On Lower air box I put the silicone tube directly against the U channel to fill it smoothly
in the Areas that I could get to- in other areas I used popsicle stick as a troll to force
into U channel and to smooth it out to consistent layer --

Then I placed filter in position and then using a wood paint stick pushed down on the rubber
gasket to make sure filter was seated firmly in position -
then I put the top on the Box and snapped the springs into place --

I am going to let this dry for about 3or 4 days to let the ammonia evaporate and
fully cure the silicone --
I have NEVER put silicone on Thick like this on anything that I have ever worked on so
I dont really know what the cure time is -
the fit on this airbox parts is so poor that it needs this to make a seal I Trust -

when I was a MC mechanic one tube of silicone sealer would last me almost a full year
and I used it Everyday -

Lower Box

Rear of top that has No U channel- Thick Here -

Filter in place-

I am also going to put aluminum Duct tape across the joint area once the silicone is dried -
and I am going to put the TURD in place also -

I also Sealed the seam between the windshield and the gutter with Black window caulking
and will show it in another post --

I do Know that this is going to be hard to take apart --
but I will handle that when the time comes -

Bitch at Ford and Not me I did not design the piece of shitttt air box/ gutter system -Jay
I feel you pain. Multiple times I've been driving in the rain (not much of it here in NM, but when it comes it comes in buckets), and the van suddenly feels like it's running through molasses. Anytime this happens I now know that the airbox will be filled with water and the air filter will be completely soaked.

I've been horrified by the thought that a team of automotive engineers/designers were paid to design a rain gutter that funnels about 24sf of water runoff from the windshield into two 1/2" weep holes, which then drain directly onto the main engine wiring harness and the air filter box, and they thought this was the best solution. Brilliant! What could possibly go wrong?

As I didn't want to need a prybar to open the airbox to change air filters, I elected to try using pieces of self-sealing window flashing to make a tent over the airbox, keeping whatever water leaked from the gutter onto the air box. I was still concerned that wind-driven water was finding its' way in through the front air inlet, or coming up from the road, but this was my Hail Mary attempt to sidestep bad design. It's worked perfectly, even when driving for hours through rain so hard that I couldn't drive more than 15mph. And it's easy to remove when it's time to replace the air filter. In fact, it worked so well that I made another tent over the exposed wiring on the driver's side.

Hope this inexpensive fix helps somebody!

·
Registered
883 Posts
In case it hasn't been mentioned recently, the "Tupperware Umbrella Rain Detector" solution from 2016 or so is pretty much foolproof. Mine's been keeping rain and melt water out of my airbox for about 4 years. Search the forum for T.U.R.D. for more info. Pictures here: tupperware umbrella rain detector

·
Registered
59 Posts
In case it hasn't been mentioned recently, the "Tupperware Umbrella Rain Detector" solution from 2016 or so is pretty much foolproof. Mine's been keeping rain and melt water out of my airbox for about 4 years. Search the forum for T.U.R.D. for more info. Pictures here: tupperware umbrella rain detector
Yes, same thing here. I paid a lot of money for a new 2017 Transit 350HD fitted with a Winnebago camper (Paseo). As this vehicle spends stretches of time parked I was dismayed to discover the mess in my air box from rain. Also BTW, a mess was developing with intake manifold bolt recesses from water laying in there. So I did the TURD thing for the air box and while it is in storage I have to cover the top of the engine with plastic. I now notice a lot of water stains on and around the ECU on the drivers side under the hood. I guess I will have to make some kind of Mickey Mouse cover for that as well. Not cool Ford ... not cool at all !

·
Registered
960 Posts
I now notice a lot of water stains on and around the ECU on the drivers side under the hood. I guess I will have to make some kind of Mickey Mouse cover for that as well. Not cool Ford ... not cool at all !
One of the inmates here described using an ‘Arizona Tea’ gallon jug cut to fit over and around the ECU, protecting it from the water shower it regularly receives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
That's functional and super easy, if not elegant. Thanks for posting the pics so people know the areas of possible damage from water intrusion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank for the all the info on this water intrusion problem with the Transits . I just purchased a new to me 2016 350 XLT 148 LR wagon with the 3.7 and only about 50k miles on it. I had NO idea that anything like this could still be possible from a manufacturer in this day and age ! What poor engineering ! Love the van, but .......wow !
So I checked mine, and the dealer had actually installed a new air filter with the complete pre-sale service/maintenance , so of coarse it showed no signs of wetness , and it is the old filter cover too. I did see plenty of evidence that water had been running down on both sides of the van from the drainage issues . I ordered the new updated air filter cover (should be here next week) , and then modified the drains with some hose and ran it to the bottom of the undercarriage .
BTW, if anyone is looking for a great hose to use for this modification, you want to look for Boat 3/4" bilge pump hose (I had a ton of it around so I gave it a try). It is a perfect fit on the drain barb , and almost looks like it could be a factory part (prob should have been , lol). The 3/4" bilge hose has a larger inside diameter than 5/8" style heater hose, so it should flow more water . I will attach some pictures .
Still trying to figure out the best coarse of action for the drivers side over the wiring/ecm . For now I threw a plastic container box trimmed to fit . Its temporary until I can find something better . I also have some black 4" flexseal "tape" , that I am going to put on the seams of the plastic box (that are obviously leaking from the debris trail) .

I have one question ............ what in the world are the 4 foam "baggies" for ? 2 on each side , maybe 4"x4"x 2' ??? They were damp / wet inside and out and had crap stuck all in the outer upright ones. Drivers side actually had water trapped in the bag ! Figgered that couldn't be good long term, so I ripped them out. Hopefully they dont serve some important purpose I cant figure out ???

Again, thanks for proving info on this Transit problem all !

Pictures ......... 3/4" boat bilge pump hose for drain mods .

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Car Automotive design

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
I think the baggies are/were to prevent gunk from getting in there. Possible side effect of dampening some body panel vibrations, making it slightly quieter. I've always looked at them sideways, because I think they are going to eventually allow water in, and store it because it can't get out. I haven't checked mine in over a year.

Reactions: boatguy

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think the baggies are/were to prevent gunk from getting in there. Possible side effect of dampening some body panel vibrations, making it slightly quieter. I've always looked at them sideways, because I think they are going to eventually allow water in, and store it because it can't get out. I haven't checked mine in over a year.
The bags are a noise reduction mechanism….. how effective IDK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I pulled all 4 sponges ......I mean foam baggies . Actually Ford has a name for these - Fender stuffers . Who knew !
Anyways , pulled all 4 and I can not tell ANY difference in noise dampening qualities these provided . I mean its a giant tin can rolling down the road, what are 4 little sponge bags really supposed dampen ???
Glad I pulled them . I think the trapped water/crud that will eventually turn into a rusting Transit , is far worse than the questionable sound dampening qualities these provided !

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
I pulled all 4 sponges ......I mean foam baggies . Actually Ford has a name for these - Fender stuffers . Who knew !
Anyways , pulled all 4 and I can not tell ANY difference in noise dampening qualities these provided . I mean its a giant tin can rolling down the road, what are 4 little sponge bags really supposed dampen ???
Glad I pulled them . I think the trapped water/crud that will eventually turn into a rusting Transit , is far worse than the questionable sound dampening qualities these provided !
You could probably spray in some rubberized undercoating if it actually was a rattle trap.

Reactions: boatguy

·
Registered
59 Posts
So did I ... mine is a 2017 Transit 350HD (actually a Winnebago Paseo) bought new. I pulled those things out within a few months and 2 of the 4 sponges in them were sopping wet. Looked like a real rust maker setup to me. I never noticed any difference in noise after pulling them out. Lord knows I don't need any other water stuff going on under that hood ...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Updated filter box cover is in ! Piece of mind for $40. ....... yep , worth it !
Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle Motor vehicle Carbon

·
Registered
10 Posts
Different engines use different lids .

Pulled from one page back .......

JK4Z-9661-A fits 2016-2018 3.7L
JK4Z-9661-D fits 2016-2018 3.5 eco boost
JK4Z-9661-B fits 2015-2018 3.2L and 2015 3.7L

I used JK4Z-9661-A for my 2016 3.7L

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
With the original cover about half of us have never had a wet air filter.
It is all here in this thread because those people spoke up too, That is probably the reason there was never a recall for the cover.
Five and one half years later and mine is still dry.

1601 - 1620 of 1622 Posts