Ford Transit USA Forum banner

61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Well I lied about two things. That wasn't the last time you would hear from me and we're not throwing it away.

I'm sort of in a situation that we need to have another van. The one we ordered isn't scheduled to arrive until April, my fault... So I spoke with the dealer and we're getting the engine replaced. The one thing that convinced me was the 3 year unlimited mile warranty on the engine.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I'd also like to warn everyone to watch your doors. The wind blew the driver side door open once and it over extended on the hinge. The door wouldn't close properly and caused body damage. That was a lovely repair bill.

Also, we were averaging 10.5mpg with the ecoboost when it didn't have any problems. It was a miracle to see 12 mpg, loaded or unloaded. Remember, this was when it actually did run fine and didn't have any issues.
Saw the same complaint on the Brit website.

Fordtransit.org

Overextended door. Caused by wind!

Ford may have taken the weight savings a bit too far.

Will they have heavied up those parts yet for the 2017? One would think so but one can be wrong too.

( I hope so - I am trying to talk a dealer into letting me have a 2017 350 HD cargo without a huge down due to my "fair credit". )

A vehicle designed for commercial duty should not door hinges easily bent.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Saw the same complaint on the Brit website.

Fordtransit.org

Overextended door. Caused by wind!

Ford may have taken the weight savings a bit too far.

Will they have heavied up those parts yet for the 2017? One would think so but one can be wrong too.

( I hope so - I am trying to talk a dealer into letting me have a 2017 350 HD cargo without a huge down due to my "fair credit". )

A vehicle designed for commercial duty should not door hinges easily bent.

And interestingly, looked up that thread on the Brit site, hinges have been redesigned.

So if you are not happy, get a 2017 is the moral here.

-----

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Holy smokes... this is NOT the thread for someone who's been owned a 2015 HR w/ 3.5 for two days. Mine has 50k miles and the one-owner who sold it to me noted he just had the brakes replaced "they still had life in them but I wanted the new buyer to have fresh brakes" which I thought was strange to need brakes at just 50k...

Anyway, wasn't there a TSB on the cam chain tensioner? Did yours not get done well before that?

At a minimum - at least I know what to look for when it comes to major problems... eek

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2016 T350 High Roof Ext body cargo van. I have 49,000 miles on it The rear brakes were replaced for the 3rd time Friday front brakes are still OK. Had the drive shaft issue, the gas cover is broke, the drivers side rear window broke and fell out for no reason and my pet peeve The Sirius radio has not worked right from the 1st day ( Ford notice SSM 45710 ) the radio cuts out and it swears no signal or acquiring signal. They have had the truck back for this about 8 times and say there is nothing they can do about it. Now the bluetooth will not say connected with my i phone (same phone for 2 years and I did not update phone to new 11.0) and about every 5 or 6th time I start the van the radio goes to AM, the station name or #s do not show up on the display, and the touch screen is very hard to use now. I gave up on the radio and went to 3 different high end stereo shops in South Florida to get a replacement and everyone of them said there is no replacement yet because of the wiring kit is not available yet so I am stuck.
I will not by any more Fords period.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Regarding no replacement radios being available perhaps those high end stereo shops need to check Crutchfield.com. Not only are plug and play wiring adapters available, they also have the Metro single to double DIN dashboard adapters.

·
Registered
129 Posts
After 17K trouble free miles and 22 - 23 mpg per-tank average w/ my 250 Diesel MR cargo van despite BFG KO2 tires, i would buy this van again in a heartbeat. Even my GF loves to drive it on road trips.

best of luck to the few having weird issues.

my driving is 90% hiway, and i downshift regularly, so brake pads have plenty left.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Well I lied about two things. That wasn't the last time you would hear from me and we're not throwing it away.

I'm sort of in a situation that we need to have another van. The one we ordered isn't scheduled to arrive until April, my fault... So I spoke with the dealer and we're getting the engine replaced. The one thing that convinced me was the 3 year unlimited mile warranty on the engine.
So what is the new van going to be?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well, I must be one of the lucky ones. I've only had to replace my transmission at 97k due to a pressure plate failure. (I "hardened" the trans during the rebuild, we'll see if that helps at all) Best bet there is get rid of the crap fluid in it and go to a 30k schedule of changes. Yes, a pain in the butt so I added a drain plug on it. Now as far as rear brake wear goes, I've traced my issue to the anti lock and crappy tires always breaking loose. Much better tires and upgraded pads seems to have solved that. Next is the 3.31 limit slip making a crap load of noise, again crappy fluid in it and a change took care of most of it. (use a friction modifier in these, 2x) ****, I couldn't even change the spark plugs without a bolt holding the coil pack breaking, another the bung came out of valve cover necessitating the destruction of the coil pack to get it out. Easy fix on the latter once out though, the prior is still without a bolt. Then next were the frozen bank 1 & 2 position 1 O2 sensors that in my opinion failed prematurely. I've had radio issues but that seemed easy enough to solve by pulling the fuse and resetting it so all is good there.Then the good old drive line coupler recall. Overall, I still love the design. I just wish it was built better... The auto up on the drivers window will fail if the power is interrupted for anything, eventually it starts to work again but I haven't been able to trace why yet. I have the 2015 T-150 bought new in 16, 3.5 eco, short and standard length with 3.31 limited in the back. I don't tow, I do only light loads most of the time and it has been taken very good care of. Still better than the merc's my customers run though, after all the issues they had starting a 10k , I wasn't buying one of those even though the cost is comparable to the transit. I don't trust chrysler's electronics even though the front drive was appealing for the conditions I'm in. I'm getting 19.3 average since new even though when doing the math off the hour meter it seems I'm averaging 17 MPH... on the freeway. Then the kicker, it's fun to drive and handles well. Now if I can just get people to stop rear ending me!At least the back bumper holds up better than expected, just not the plastic shrouds.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
My biggest problem is with Ford's service. I'm very careful about having routine service done every 5-8,000 miles. I've complained for the last 76,000 miles (after my 100,000 mile service which cost me $1050) that I hear a noise and feel like I'm going over rumble strips. First, it was diagnosed as a coil, which was replaced with no change to the problem. And at another Ford service in another state, they said I needed all new plugs, which I had changed. I've had the drive train problem fixed twice - that seemed to help the noise, but now, the transmission needs replacing. At none of those service stops did they say, "gee - that's a lot of miles, maybe we should flush the transmission." I'm a woman, but I'm not stupid, and if that were in the service schedule, I would have done it. Now, the two $300 flushes that were missed are going to cost me $3000 plus the flush.

I will never take it back to a Ford Service Center! I've found a reliable transmission place that's going to charge me less than Ford, and probably do a better job.

Thanks, Ford. This is a great little van, but your dealerships suck!

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Yeah, that's what's being replaced. I kept thinking it must have something to do with compression. But the converter might have been saved with clean transmission fluid and proper inspections.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Yeah, that's what's being replaced. I kept thinking it must have something to do with compression. But the converter might have been saved with clean transmission fluid and proper inspections.

Nope, lots of them are failing. It’s a bad batch of parts from Ford. Mostly 2015s. You can’t find a new one either, they will put in a reman or reman yours. That’s what I did. Ford part was backordered more or less indefinitely. This was a few months back. I pulled mine myself after Ford told me a) they wouldn’t help me at about 5k over warranty and b) they’d be sending it off to be remanned if they did the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I'm still upset about Ford "Service" not catching it for so long. The symptoms are the same, and I'd feel more loyalty to them if they'd found it. I'm about to go full time in my conversion, and finally have a mechanic, instead of a computer reader fixing the thing. I'll mention the parts problem to him. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
I just got back from a long road trip, the odometer turned over to 40k.

I am very upset that it looks like I'll have to replace the Hankook tires at probably 60-70k!

WORST
VAN
EVER!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Most people here aren't going to get that, Bill, but me and Ghostshaper obviously did. I guess people think machines are perfect and you don't have to maintain them to keep them running. That's a shame. Just to be clear I'll say it. Cars are machines and machines break and need keeping up. There are no perfect ones. You have to maintain them. Some are more reliable than others by luck alone. Manufacturers aren't perfect. Dealers aren't perfect. Manufacturers get about as lucky as the rest of us from their suppliers. Some things just don't work out, like Transit brakes and torque converters. Some things are badly designed, like our guibos, heat shields and air box lids but 30 years from now the Transit will probably have conquered the earth like the E-series before it and all of this will be moot.

Can you imagine the bitchin' that would've happened online about the first few years of the Econoline vans back in the 60's/70's when you were lucky to get 100k out of any vehicle?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I just got back from a long road trip, the odometer turned over to 40k.

I am very upset that it looks like I'll have to replace the Hankook tires at probably 60-70k!

WORST
VAN
EVER!
Obviously your problem is you're not putting enough miles on it. It's still getting broken in!

Once you get past 200,000 miles it'll really be ready to run.

212,000+ and running strong.

Sent from my RCT6213W87DK using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 99 Posts