Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When working inside the van, I worry that someday I'll forget the extension cord and drive off. Today I put it in the drivers door and through the steering wheel. I don't think I'll forget now. I'll make that my new rule. LOL

·
Registered
2021 Transit 148 HR
60 Posts
I love that idea. I have been pondering a truly "forgetfulness proof" approach to shore power and haven't come up with an ideal solution yet.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
When working inside the van, I worry that someday I'll forget the extension cord and drive off. Today I put it in the drivers door and through the steering wheel. I don't think I'll forget now. I'll make that my new rule. LOL
I like @orton's reminder strap method Good for all sorts of pre-flight items ... as long as you remember to put them on. Store the strap on the offending cord, hose, fan remote etc. ... to remember to install on steering wheel. What was I just saying?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Any time I leave the van with stuff not in drivable state, I put something over the gear selector. Whatever is at hand... Towel, hat, glove, bag, anything that shouldn't be there. It's saved my butt a few times.

Reactions: EddieZ and ultane

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
I love that idea. I have been pondering a truly "forgetfulness proof" approach to shore power and haven't come up with an ideal solution yet.
During college I had a summer job working for the Forest Service. After filling the fire truck with gas I forgot to remove the nozzle and pulled the nozzle and hose off the pump as I drove off. Knowing I have limited brain power, one of my solutions was putting the shore power cord location under the driver door where I can see it when entering van.

Shore Power | Orton Travel Transit (ortontransit.info)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
During college I had a summer job working for the Forest Service. After filling the fire truck with gas I forgot to remove the nozzle and pulled the nozzle and hose off the pump as I drove off. Knowing I have limited brain power, one of my solutions was putting the shore power cord location under the driver door where I can see it when entering van.

Shore Power | Orton Travel Transit (ortontransit.info)
I may do that when I install a permanent way to plug in the van. I thought about wiring in a buzzer that buzzed if the key was turned on (only when plugged in) but right now the van is still in the "cut and screw" phase.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any time I leave the van with stuff not in drivable state, I put something over the gear selector. Whatever is at hand... Towel, hat, glove, bag, anything that shouldn't be there. It's saved my butt a few times.
That's where I hang my mask. I wonder if someday cars will come with a place to put our masks like they did with cup holders. :(

·
Registered
2106 148MR Cargo
183 Posts
Airline pilots have put a cup on the flap or slat handle for decades and there've still been accidents because it becomes too familiar. Putting the power cord through the steering wheel, leaving a written list of items or checklist in front of the speedo, or putting the key near where an item needs to be cleared - all are more positive.

·
Registered
2021 Transit 148 HR
60 Posts
@Checkswrecks I'm more worried about the "casual user" such as one of my kids than I am about myself. So the more automatic and "positive" as you put it (as in idiot proof) the better. I like the idea of locking something onto the steering wheel because that is impossible to ignore.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Airline pilots have put a cup on the flap or slat handle for decades and there've still been accidents because it becomes too familiar. Putting the power cord through the steering wheel, leaving a written list of items or checklist in front of the speedo, or putting the key near where an item needs to be cleared - all are more positive.
You raise a good point about it becoming habit and thus, forgotten. Since what I use often changes because of what's close by in the cab, I'm always looking at the item later on and saying "maybe I should put that away properly". The method has yet to fail me.

But I'm the only one that can drive the van, excluding theft. I don't have to worry about someone else jumping in and saying "now why would that idiot put his garbage on the gear knob?", flinging it away in disgust, and driving off while in the back the dishpan full of water sloshes it's way to the edge of the countertop...

·
Registered
2017, cargo, 130inch, mr, dbl sliders, 3.2 dsl, 3.31 rear end, used 13.5k mi.
88 Posts
Great strategy! Just looped a decent pair of slacks on steering wheel so the next time I run out of my home office after a real-time microsoft teams or zoom meeting and am off to the hardware store or wherever, I will minimize the embarrassment; well, mostly...

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Great strategy! Just looped a decent pair of slacks on steering wheel so the next time I run out of my home office after a real-time microsoft teams or zoom meeting and am off to the hardware store or wherever, I will minimize the embarrassment; well, mostly...
Just loop a mask over the most "offensive" bits. Everyone's in a daze anyway so no one will pay you much attention.

·
Registered
2020 T-250 AWD Blue MR 148" WB 3.5
33 Posts
We have auto eject cords on our ambulances. We plug them in whenever we return from a call and when you turn the ambulance on it automatically ejects the power cord so it takes the brain capacity required out of the equation. Pretty neat system. Probably not cheap though

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
You can also use magnetic plugs as well that will break away if you drive off.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts