Ford Transit USA Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
6,808 Posts
I use Reflectix for inside covers of the slider and back doors. There are slots between the glass and the steel window frames. Cut Reflectix the size of the glass opening with tabs where the slots are located. Taped the edges with Reflectix tape. Easy to install. Store the Reflectix covers between my fold up bed platform panels and the van wall.

·
Registered
2022 T350HD #11000 Avalanche Gray
591 Posts
Ordered window covers from VanMadeGear. This weekend I had the rear door covers on and one door was facing the sun. The inside cover was cool no heat. Removed the cover and there was a ton of heat. The cover really works well. I think they are worth the price.

·
Registered
32 Posts
When I visited Van Made Gear 2 years ago, they were using Low-E between the fabric layer. Low-E has what looks like aluminum foil or Mylar coating on both sides of foam which purportedly reflects infrared radiation. Simon will make the covers with a variety of material colors including black or silver. Im on my 2nd set for my 3rd van. Good quality.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ford Transit 250 High Roof
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
This idea was the most surprising find of my request and it's been super effective in the 115 deg heat! I would also use when camping but for now I'm restoring the cargo floor and the sun shield is critical. Bought a roll of magnetic tape to eliminate weak points on either side because the wind gusts are nuts in N Phoenix. It pulls tight against the windshield and is quick to roll on and off.

Mag Tape:

Insulation (Thanks Boondox!):

Before/After photos added for emphasis, the insulation was necessary for the paint in these temperatures. Thanks all!

-Nate

Attachments

·
Registered
2016, MR, 130"
1,213 Posts
This idea was the most surprising find of my request and it's been super effective in the 115 deg heat! I would also use when camping but for now I'm restoring the cargo floor and the sun shield is critical. Bought a roll of magnetic tape to eliminate weak points on either side because the wind gusts are nuts in N Phoenix. It pulls tight against the windshield and is quick to roll on and off.

Mag Tape:

Insulation (Thanks Boondox!):

Before/After photos added for emphasis, the insulation was necessary for the paint in these temperatures. Thanks all!

-Nate
Looks good! Love the mag strip idea!

We are pouring some cement in the high desert this week and it is gonna be hot so we will see how well ours works.

Reactions: Nate Martian

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Have you guys seen this cover? I haven’t used mine yet, however it appears to be made pretty well, and you get full coverage.
It's pretty dry in the desert (except sometimes it's not), but even so I would have concerns about the fact that they used cotton for insulation in an outdoor product. Once/if that gets wet it's going to be sodden and not have much value.

From the page for the product linked:

Font Art Logo Brand Number

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's pretty dry in the desert (except sometimes it's not), but even so I would have concerns about the fact that they used cotton for insulation in an outdoor product. Once/if that gets wet it's going to be sodden and not have much value.

View attachment 174103
I’ll post up after some use. Dry here in the dessert until today, when we got our first monsoon storm.

·
Registered
2017, cargo, 130inch, mr, dbl sliders, 3.2 dsl, 3.31 rear end, used 13.5k mi.
184 Posts
I use covers by a company called Straw Foot Handmade. I've tried them all - including hand making my own - NOTHING comes close to these. Beautifully made, fit perfectly, protect against heat and cold, install in seconds . Not the normal silver foam and plastic material that throws off VOCs and toxic gases and is pain to fold and store - hate those - plus they suck in cold weather. These shades are 100% organic material with insulation, nicely pleated and they fold up / store elegantly. The only caveat - they are expensive and they take time to get - but they truly work and look amazing. Highly finished, they add to the aesthetics of the van, and don't blind everyone walking, driving (or flying) by. Steathy and secure. Best of all - no condensation and no cracked glass.

100% recommend - 100% made in USA.

Now, just a cotton-picken' moment here, sixgun sallie...

Just what are you talkin bout....your description of strawfoot product is so off-base as to make me throw away any credible evaluation you might make about their products.
Maybe rethink: "Not the normal silver foam and plastic material that throws off VOCs and toxic gases and is pain to fold and store - hate those - plus they suck in cold weather. These shades are 100% organic material... " Absolulte nonsense... Polyester material and plastics are the crux of the material strawfoot window covers use and where in the world are these deemed "non-toxic" and "organic?" Some other planet, maybe....

That being said, they are quite nicely fabricated window adornments-when you can get them. As of today, strawfoot website for ordering has NO listing of window covers for front windshield, side windows for Transits. Cannot even order them so will fininish out my spouses window covering order with another USA fabricated business-VanMadeGear. Already purchased their ceiling fan cover and front door window covers and recognize that they will last longer than the van will. I guess that is a good thing...

·
Registered
2016, MR, 130"
1,213 Posts

View attachment 174103
Ah. Good catch. I would prefer synthetic over cotton and some insulation and reflective.

Here in the socal desert it is around 100. The cover is doing great. A couple of the suction cups have let go. I don't think is was due to wind but because the spit used to help adhere dried out. Might want to look into the mag strip.

@natehow did you attach the mag strip? And how easy is it to deploy and remove?

·
Premium Member
2019 Ford Transit 250 High Roof
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Ah. Good catch. I would prefer synthetic over cotton and some insulation and reflective.

Here in the socal desert it is around 100. The cover is doing great. A couple of the suction cups have let go. I don't think is was due to wind but because the spit used to help adhere dried out. Might want to look into the mag strip.

@natehow did you attach the mag strip? And how easy is it to deploy and remove?
Mag strip was super easy it's just a peel and stick. It has a strong pull especially when perpendicular to the strip, but just lift one corner and it peels off easily. It survived a strong storm recently so good as long as it's pulled tight.

I used to have a TomTom GPS like 20 years ago and that suction cup never survived the glass temp, nothing does!

·
Premium Member
ON ITS WAY: 2022 W2X 350 HR LWB AWD
108 Posts
I'm at Adventure Van Expo in Hood River...

VanMadeGear discount code...
AVEZOLL

Order now. ;-)

For what its worth, while we very much liked their products and we preferred their finish fabric, we are going to buy van essentials because VMG has a 4-5 week wait and van essentials seemed indistinguishable and less expensive.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts