Ford Transit USA Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2016, MR, 130"
1,213 Posts
Your cover looked so good that I went right into research/shopping more. Had just put a 48" x 10" roll of that exact stuff in my cart and came back to find this. Nice to know it's the same stuff. Next for some suction cups :)

And they seem to hold well!

Reactions: Vanaroo

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
3,440 Posts
We accidentally made window covers that worked surprisingly well for our last rig. We mounted Reflectix on Coroplast sheets. The edges were taped with gaffers tape with magnets in them. I say, "surprising," because they were great for cold and heat - they seemed to leak almost nothing. After having made them and used them, we realized that what we'd done was create a very clear air-space between the windows and the reflectix - apparently the ideal usage. We didn't do them in this rig because they take up so much space to store (see photo below) and I finally decided to give someone the money for the fancy nice ones. But since we still don't have the rear four windows (still just using Reflectix - not as good on it's own), we may do this for those four for a while. Can't imagine anything working so well for so little money. And with the white plastic they kept it bright inside.

I regret that we didn't do more photos of our Sprinter build (no such regrets on the Transit - we have TOO many), so I don't have good photos of these. This is the only one I see.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Mode of transport Head restraint

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
For Death Valley, I made an outside cover of Tyvek for the windshield and cab windows.
That's a good idea. Like the commercial Class C cab covers, but super light, thin, and easy to store (which they are not).

Did you have much wind when you were there? If so, how did it do? Did it make noise? How did you secure it?

·
Registered
2016, MR, 130"
1,213 Posts
Speaking of wind, forgot to take the sun shield off before my 48 hour shift. It is now windy as heck. So we'll see what its made of on Wednesday when I get home! 💩

·
Registered
9,162 Posts
I did a half-a$$ed measurement from the inside while waiting for a train today; it looks like it takes a 6' x 4' piece of something to cover the windshield, not counting any "wings" you would use to tuck into the doors.

·
Registered
2016, MR, 130"
1,213 Posts
I think we used about 5' 6" or so. And it is really windy, I bet that our shield grew "wings" and flew away! 💩

·
Registered
2015 - 2022 Ford Transit High Roof
8 Posts
Two alternatives to consider:
  1. As a primary defense against heat, add 3m Crystalline series window tint. Blocks 99% of heat generating infrared rays and 64% solar energy without darkening the window appearance.
  2. For quality insulating window covers, Vanessentials.com uses top notch automotive grade insulation at a very affordable price. If you have not checked them out, they are very comparable to VanMadeGear, but less expensive
cheers!

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
3,440 Posts
  1. As a primary defense against heat, add 3m Crystalline series window tint. Blocks 99% of heat generating infrared rays and 64% solar energy without darkening the window appearance.
  2. For quality insulating window covers, Vanessentials.com uses top notch automotive grade insulation at a very affordable price. If you have not checked them out, they are very comparable to VanMadeGear, but less expensive
cheers!
Funny these are your input, because...
1. I want to do this... but I'm concerned with which shops are really qualified to work with this expensive stuff!
2. I have all the covers they make... but they don't make the rear windows for an all-windows rig... 😣

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey all,

Researching window covers for insulation, live in Phoenix and need the best possible reflection and R-value. Narrowed down to 2 options, VanMadeGear and Stelletek. Both have the reflective front shades, VanMadeGear has no insulation specs and Stelletek offers Polartek Powerful 200 insulation. VanMadeGear a little more within $100.

Greatly appreciate all advice! I was ready to pull trigger with VanMadeGear then found something with potentially more insulation.

Thanks all, Nate
I'll add to the comments on having covers on the outside. I'm not in the desert but I got a roll of 48" wide double sided reflective foil bubble insulation ($30 for a 10" roll). The difference it made on the heat gain through my front windshield was amazing. The glass and the inside stay perfectly cool. My install was about as simple as you can get. I cut a sheet just long enough to go around the front pillars, I open the door on each side and sandwich the insulation between the door frame and the pillar. Works perfectly, water tight, and very inexpensive.

·
Registered
2019 250 Cargo MR LWB Quigley CCV pop-top
293 Posts
Vanessential.com, no "s", I found out. Those are a good deal. Problem is they're only really good for winter as they are black on out-facing side, so no IR reflecting properties for summer days. Couple these with the 3M Crystalline, then...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey all,

Researching window covers for insulation, live in Phoenix and need the best possible reflection and R-value. Narrowed down to 2 options, VanMadeGear and Stelletek. Both have the reflective front shades, VanMadeGear has no insulation specs and Stelletek offers Polartek Powerful 200 insulation. VanMadeGear a little more within $100.

Greatly appreciate all advice! I was ready to pull trigger with VanMadeGear then found something with potentially more insulation.

Thanks all, Nate
We have Stelletek and absolutely love the fit and the insulation value hot & cold! Highly recommend.

·
Registered
2016, MR, 130"
1,213 Posts
Took me a while to get back to this thread. When I got home the windshield cover had indeed blown away. It turns out that it was because the suction cups pulled through the material, not that the suction cups let go. So, it was time to consult the research and development team at RedNeckTech. I took an old roll up cutting board and cut some washers out of it. Then put the washer on the suction cup. I cut a piece of electric fence wire. Take the zip tie and put a loop in the hollow center of the suction cup and then thread the wire through. Make sure the zip tie is under the wire. Bend the wire a little so it can't come out. Once I get it all put together I'll put in on and leave it there until we get some good wind for a test. @Vanaroo , I mention you because I know you bought some of the same material. Overall, I think this will be sufficient to prevent tear out of the suction cups.

Pliers Hand tool Diagonal pliers Snips Pruning shears

Peripheral Gadget Wire Cable Electrical supply

Wood Eyewear Gadget Audio equipment Art

Wood Table Musical instrument Wood stain Hardwood

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Thanks @Boondox

I had been thinking about your cover and wondering how it fared and what you would find. Good tips on the suction cup pullout fix and the photos are a great addition.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Vanessential.com, no "s", I found out. Those are a good deal. Problem is they're only really good for winter as they are black on out-facing side, so no IR reflecting properties for summer days.
I'm deciding between the Vanmade Gear or the Van Essential window covers and came across this thread. Is there a noticeable difference with the marine-grade reflective exterior that Vanmade Gear offers? Has anyone that purchased the Van Essential window covers or the Vanmade Gear with black ripstop exterior regretted not having the reflective exterior? Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey all,

Thanks all, Nate
I'm deciding between the Vanmade Gear or the Van Essential window covers and came across this thread. Is there a noticeable difference with the marine-grade reflective exterior that Vanmade Gear offers? Has anyone that purchased the Van Essential window covers or the Vanmade Gear with black ripstop exterior regretted not having the reflective exterior? Thanks!
A lot of the insulation and reflective materials used will depend on how they are applied. Having a reflective material pushed up against the window will have an effect, but the down side is that the sun can still penetrate through the barrier as the glass is transferring the heat to the material. Using the more insulated covers will slow this down better as protects as a thermal barrier

·
Registered
9,162 Posts
cheers!
Does that go on the inside or the outside? On my side windows, there's black paint on the inside around edges, I'm concerned that the tinting film would not stick to that very well. Also concerned that if it's on the outside it will get damaged.

Reactions: Ravenwood6
21 - 40 of 55 Posts