Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Keep in mind the 2020 has a new electrical architecture as described in the BEMM and there are three or four approaches to connecting and activating charging. Is it capable of charging batteries at idle, yes. Will it charge at idle, it depends how you are connecting and managing that charge and the whether the Transit is in "Start Regenerative Charging" or "Conventional Charging Mode". There is also a "Third Party High Power" mode that can be invoked within the vehicle system that may be useful.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Keep in mind the 2020 has a new electrical architecture as described in the BEMM and there are three or four approaches to connecting and activating charging. Is it capable of charging batteries at idle, yes. Will it charge at idle, it depends how you are connecting and managing that charge and the whether the Transit is in "Start Regenerative Charging" or "Conventional Charging Mode". There is also a "Third Party High Power" mode that can be invoked within the vehicle system that may be useful.
""High Power Mode" has been available since 2016.
This requires a computer to view.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I've not read every BEMM for every year. Do you know if that mode can be invoked by grounding a circuit under the seat?

The link documents "Elevated Idle Control" which is something related but quite different from "Third Party High Power Mode" described in the 2020 BEMM. I did not notice that this idle control it changed/increased the charge voltage which would be required for triggering DC/DC chargers that depend on elevated vehicle voltage to kick in charging the house battery.

Elevated Idle Control is described as a separate system in the 2020 BEMM as shown below:

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
It will charge at idle but you won't get maximum current. You're better to increase engine RPM to about 1500 or so if you're parked somewhere.

The easy solution is an "Orton Stick", the precision device that accuates the accelerator while stationary.

I've had some success with Forscan, but after a period of time the idle comes back down to normal. I've yet to figure out why.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I've not read every BEMM for every year. Do you know if that mode can be invoked by grounding a circuit under the seat?
It is too much reading in the January 2020 Bemm, Trying to match old Ford acronyms with new ford acronyms.
I am thinking it is a part of the High Spec Interface Connector behind the glovebox.

·
Registered
456 Posts
It would sure be nice if there were an alphabetical list of all the acronyms in the BEMM. Maybe there is, and I missed it? Anybody know offhand what SEIC is?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Am I reading it correctly that to activate the elevated idle then you must have the aux fuse panel and aux switches?

Has anyone actually done this?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Am I reading it correctly that to activate the elevated idle then you must have the aux fuse panel and aux switches?
What’s the reference on that? Don’t see that in the 2020 BEMM (I very well could have missed it). Is that a 2018 option for yours?

The 2020 Elevated Idle Control that Vanpackr posted above says it requires the FPBG which, in theory, no one has since it is listed as a Late Availability item in the 2020 order guide. Ironic, since the 2020 BEMM has a detailed section on an item no one has (FPBG) but no info on an item that apparently is already on the streets (dual alternators).

·
Registered
3,129 Posts

Has anyone actually done this?
This is probably one of the better forum threads about other forum members using SEIC.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
It would sure be nice if there were an alphabetical list of all the acronyms in the BEMM. Maybe there is, and I missed it? Anybody know offhand what SEIC is?
Those two links I shared in this thread tell you most of the info Ford provides about SEIC., But you do need a computer to view it

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
SEIC is available via the FPBG wich no one has as of yet apparently which looks very useful to anyone building out a camper according to the 2020 BEMM. More to come as I absorb more of it. Also, I think I have figured out a way to keep the smart chargers and smart charging systems from outsmarting one another. If the smart charging sensor only needs a 12v+ signal and the connection via CP1 and/or CP2 is managed by the Ford fitted battery monitor then maybe just hooting the "engine run" leat to the CP will serve to charge the battery when appropriate and allowing the stick battery protection from running the battery down to the point it will not crank the vehicle. Also, the CP connectors can be programmed by a dealer to shot off at ignition off rather than going through the 30 or 70 min power on period. I will verify during my install. Good news with this is no relays and additional 12v circuits would be required and no need to worry about the engine start/stop cycling the 15 min delay in the charger, etc.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me that if the charger is a maximum 60 amp B2B charger, then all that is necessary for it to work at idle is to connect it to any part of the charging system. The charging system is going to have a minimum voltage (maybe it's 12.2 volts) and the alternator will do whatever is required to keep it at that voltage (except when it ramps up for regenerative charging). Because the B2B is able to utilize the lower voltage by stepping it up to normal charging voltage, and because alternator output capability at idle is far in excess of 60 amps, it seems to me that full charging at normal idle should not be a problem. Based on the charging output graph in the BEMM it seems that an elevated idle would only be beneficial with much larger charging loads, like trying to run a big inefficient air conditioner.

Comments on my theory?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Yep. Makes sense. The 2020 BEMM states to assume the vehicle needs 20A to run.

One would not want to connect in such a way as to confuse the Ford fitted battery manager tho.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
After doing more research, maybe I should just skip the B to B charger and combine the three CCP connections and incorporate a battery isolator? Research has shown others have done that with success.....but will it work long term?.....will it cause premature failure of the alternator?.....I don't know! 14.4 volts is what Battleborn recommends for bulk charging and I believe it was dray2009 who measured 14.4 volts and 90+ amps (at both idle and while driving) available for charging his dual Battleborns. This sounds almost ideal but will have to research further. Lots of good info about the subject in this thread previously mentioned by Michael Ophus (be forewarned it's 11 pages long!): Is 70Amps is the max you can pull from the HD Alternator?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Yep. That thread, like most here, wandered all over the place. From my own research on this topic. The amperage limits are associated with the chosen connection points. The 200A limit talked about there comes from the FPBG option which does not sound common. I'm sure there is more available via direct connection to the Transit charging system which some have had success with but the BEMM discourages it as it can confuse/compromise the standard Transit on board battery management system. Also, the amperage draw by your house batteries may or may not be limited depending on the battery isolator you chose. Otherwise the draw is determined by the capacity of the batteries and their state of charge.

If had spent $2K on nice Battleborns I would want them managed by a DC to DC charger to be sure I was getting everything I paid for and to protect my investment (I plan to upgrade to them down the road). The charging circuitry fitted by Ford to the Transit is for Lead/AGM batteries which have different charging requirements. I would be concerned I would never get the full capacity my nice batteries with that setup. Do you have the FPBP or two batteries on your transit? Or just the one?

Research for my particular use case has lead me to plan to connect my charger to CCP2 (175A) and connect the IGN sensor to the same point and allow the standard battery protection built into the Transit manage protecting the cranking batteries as designed and allow the charger to manage the charge of whatever battery type independently. This will also isolate the charger from cycling with the engine start/stop on my 2020.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Do you have the FPBP or two batteries on your transit? Or just the one?
On my 2015 I have the 230A alternator with two batteries and 3 60A CCPs. What is "FPBP"? Googled it, but I'm sure you're not talking about the Family Planning Benefit Program;)!

21 - 40 of 51 Posts