Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2021 R2C AWD ECO 148 MR ADV PKG Avalanche Gray Ordered 04/22/2021
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
COVID-19 Delta variant is spreading all over the US. Factories are still experiencing shortages of computer chips and workers. Ford is behind complete production of almost every type of vehicle. New product lines are being reserved. The big fleet customers with the basic builds seem to get priority over retail customers. Do you think if you order a 2022 Ford Transit van it will be built and delivered to you any sooner than the 2021s were /are?

·
Registered
84 Posts
COVID-19 Delta variant is spreading all over the US. Factories are still experiencing shortages of computer chips and workers. Ford is behind complete production of almost every type of vehicle. New product lines are being reserved. The big fleet customers with the basic builds seem to get priority over retail customers. Do you think if you order a 2022 Ford Transit van it will be built and delivered to you any sooner than the 2021s were /are?
Curious, did you get yours yet? I saw your order date?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not yet. As far as I know still “unscheduled-clean”.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I doubt there will be much difference in build quality. If you want the 360 overhead camera and larger navigation screen, you'll need to order a 2022. Consider this; if you order a 2022 when the books open in a few weeks, it could be March 2022 until you get it...or longer...so do you want to wait more?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My thoughts are that you will be waiting longer for a 2022 than 2021. As I have stated I will wait it out hoping for the 2021 I ordered. If my order gets canceled I will not be ordering a 2022 Ford Transit. Rather not go through the hurry up and wait game again🤨

·
Registered
Waiting for a 2021 W2D
14 Posts
Hi OP,

I've been reading the headlines recently and have had the same thoughts.

I know there's speculation that retail builds for 2022 could start as early as Feb 2022, but given instability in the supply chain I suspect retail orders will lag and won't be scheduled until they can obtain all the parts which drag later into the year. Vans with more tech options may be more susceptible to part shortage issues. Also, I'm sure there's loads of fleet order that are queued up already.

Without having visibility into fords factory parts inventory or their internal bulletins, we can only speculate from the outside. I suspect those who place 2022 retail orders at a dealer (even one with loads of allocation) are going to wait a long time. Anyway, enough with the navel gazing :p

On a side note - I do monitor the following Blue Oval Threads to get an idea on how production is moving:
  1. Production Week Scheduling Information
  2. Weekly Scheduling Notes
  3. 2022 Transit Production Information
Also I found this overview of the production/scheduling process to be useful. This guide seems fairly accurate from what I've cross-referenced coming from folks like CrewVanMan. Anyway the guide:
  1. Ford Ordering & Scheduling Process
Maybe it's time to suck it up and pay over sticker for a Transit in the off chance I find one in dealer stock. I need a winter project else I'll go stir crazy o_O

I hope the links above help folks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Even Toyota is slowing production down because of the chip shortages. It has been reported that IBM is in talks with the Defense Department to source chips for them. US Officials are in Taiwan meeting with Chip Factory Officials trying to get them to increase production. It is also reported that it takes mucho bucks and a couple of years to stand up a chip factory in the US. Throw COVID-19 and our current political mess into the mix and it doesn’t look so great for 2022 manufacturing.

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
On NPR they talked about the chip shortage, and it doesn't look any better for 2022.

The Gambler sez: Hold 'em

(referring to keeping your current van, in case the reference and innuendo weren't clear)

If you're still alive in 2023, order your new van then.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
“I’ll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today”. Give me a deposit today for your order or reservation for a new vehicle and we will gladly make interest off your money and maybe make you something someday…maybe 🤨

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
Brad Pitt

Reactions: Moot

·
Registered
2018 Ford Transit 250 MR Cargo ECO
1,125 Posts
Everyone wants to make money and the factories are running as fast as possible.
I would not sweat it.
Just order and relax.

·
Registered
124 Posts
In addition to the ongoing chip shortage and supply chain issues there's also the huge new variable of the electric Transit production, which we know Ford will be prioritizing first.

Given that they're first-to-market with their electric van they have a HUGE interest in establishing as much market share as possible before their competitors come to market. I have a feeling they'll probably build as many eTransits as they can before they switch over to producing gas vans, which they'll start by building to fulfill fleet orders as always. Then, if they get more parts to build more electrics they'll probably switch back to those whenever they can.

All that together makes 2022 production scheduling for gas powered custom orders for individuals a SUPER uncertain situation. Given that I'm still waiting for my '21 to get built there have been times I've been tempted to just switch to a '22 to get Sync 4, HID headlights, and some of the other goodies I wish my '21 had. But there are just too many unknowns to run that risk, for me at least.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Want to make money + do it as fast as possible/cut corners/use inferior product = poor Quality Control. I walked from a few companies because of these factors (former QC person). The more desperate a company gets to make money the worse it can get. I would sweat that.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hope my van is not a Monday or Friday build. That could compound matters🤔

·
Registered
92 Posts
So if I decide to buy-order new transit it likely won’t be until early next year, so that may be
on the late side it seems on getting a 2022 ? I am definitely not going to play the hurry up and
order thing

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
Amazon van orders also play into the maze.

They have been known to order months of complete factory production at several companies. Practically occupied the US MB sprinter factory for the first year.

It seems like it would be very efficient, but since suppliers factories are designed assuming a product "mix" vs "all the same", it can also add to the complexity.

____

EV companies are already consuming the bulk of high end Li battery supply chain capacity.

The recall of the Bolt battery packs is not going to help the situation at all. These battery packs also consume a lot of chips.

I can't imagine that this would happen, but if the EV mandates were pushed back a year, it would actually help a lot with the chip shortage.

·
Registered
476 Posts
  • Love
Reactions: njvagabond

·
Registered
476 Posts
Want to make money + do it as fast as possible/cut corners/use inferior product = poor Quality Control. I walked from a few companies because of these factors (former QC person). The more desperate a company gets to make money the worse it can get. I would sweat that.
That's exactly what Ford did in their rush to get the 2015 Transits to market.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts