Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealership refuses to reprogram tpms after rotating the tires? Even after I tell them the front and rear pressures are different and that not programming will result in me bringing it back in?
IMG_20201017_162410557.jpg

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Dealership refuses to reprogram tpms after rotating the tires? Even after I tell them the front and rear pressures are different and that not programming will result in me bringing it back in?
View attachment 141278 View attachment 141279 View attachment 141278
Dealer techs are prone to screw up. You should be checking tire pressure before driving out the door (maybe you did, I can't tell), right in front of the clipboard handler.

When I had my 2015 brake brackets reversed per TSB **, I crawled under to verify. Same with getting a replacement giubo.

** A few years later, though, I discovered the brake work included misplacement of the inner/outer pads, which resulted in unusually uneven wear (angled, front to back, making pad into thin wedge shape).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's worse is that I know my fronts weren't at 60 psi when I brought it in, so its like they just added more air to make the warning light turn off.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is why I do my own maintenance.
I usually do my own too. As a favor my wife bought a service plan that includes everything from oil changes to wiper blades to brakes and shocks. It's nice to have one less car to maintain, but I'm just amazed at the incompetence at this dealership.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Did you check the tire pressure because they could have reinitialized them then not set the correct pressure, either way yeah they suck

·
Super Moderator
3,074 Posts
Maybe the techs should be included on the newsflash that modern vehicles have TPMS sensors and they need to be properly synced up. On the other hand, it's not like it is their job every day or something like that...

·
Registered
224 Posts
This should be a user re-settable feature. Set the tire pressure where you want it and then initialize the TPMS to show when those settings are out of spec. Having to argue with a service tech is unacceptable.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
You guys are blaming the techs, when it's probably the service manager's doing. They only give so much time to the techs for each procedure, based on a chart. Often stuff at such well-organized disservice centers is rushed, or corners cut. The techs DO NOT like that aspect of working at a dealership (talked to a few former techs). The disservice center is where they make most of their money; not by selling cars. Warranty work is extremely disliked by them, because it doesn't pay as much as cash work on vehicles out of warranty.

Reactions: going4speed

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
This should be a user re-settable feature. Set the tire pressure where you want it and then initialize the TPMS to show when those settings are out of spec. Having to argue with a service tech is unacceptable.
It is user resettable, just need a $15 one button reset tool.

·
Registered
74 Posts
my 2018 has instructions for the retraining of tpms sensors after a tire rotation In the owners manual. It’s on page 295. Not sure if it’s different for any other model year transit.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Maybe the battery in the TPMS is getting weak, How old is the van?
This question has been asked many times before and a few times it was traced back to a weak tmps battery

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
How in the world did you deduce that the rear tire pressure reading on the front sensors (and vice versa) after a tire rotation was caused by a low battery?
From reading past forum threads on the same subject, The inability to reprogram.
How old is the van?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts