Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is the Digital Rearview Mirror moved to 2023 model year? Is it because of chip shortage? I am planning to order a 2022 build, should I be worried about the quality of the chips used onboard?

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Why is the Digital Rearview Mirror moved to 2023 model year? Is it because of chip shortage? I am planning to order a 2022 build, should I be worried about the quality of the chips used onboard?
You can add you own. Search for the term VanTop. That's a brand many have used, there are many posts on how to install. There are a lot of other similar brands.

·
Registered
2019 250 148 mr
447 Posts
You can add you own. Search for the term VanTop. That's a brand many have used, there are many posts on how to install. There are a lot of other similar brands.
Probably a great deal cheaper too.

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
Are you not happy with your Transit Vans and what quality issues are you having??
Anything made in a UAW plant is suspect. I don't know if Transits are made by them though.
I'm at almost 100k and have had only one issue, that was fixed under warranty. BUT, I'm not expecting Rolls Royce quality and build in a delivery van. Misaligned panels, rough welds, topcoat paint missing or thin in spots inside, surface rust all over the suspension even when new, all the doors needed adjusting; perfectly acceptable and fine for a delivery van. Anyone unfamiliar with delivery vans thinking they are buying a big SUV is going to be greatly disappointed.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Will transit get the autopilot semi-autonomous driving (which is available on Mach-E) in 2023? Would it reliable?
I really want to see more of this tech but as others have pointed out in related posts, the Transit is such a large heavy vehicle typically for work trucks and delivery companies that I doubt they'll push that tech to it anytime soon. I hope I'm wrong though!

Cheers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anything made in a UAW plant is suspect. I don't know if Transits are made by them though.
I'm at almost 100k and have had only one issue, that was fixed under warranty. BUT, I'm not expecting Rolls Royce quality and build in a delivery van. Misaligned panels, rough welds, topcoat paint missing or thin in spots inside, surface rust all over the suspension even when new, all the doors needed adjusting; perfectly acceptable and fine for a delivery van. Anyone unfamiliar with delivery vans thinking they are buying a big SUV is going to be greatly disappointed.
Transit is no long viewed as a delivery van by many people. I priced out my 2022 AWD Transit with the RV package and power sliding door, and the total came out to $55K. For this amount of money, we are no longer expecting a delivery van with shoddy quality. We are expecting a high quality van to build into a home on wheels that will last a long time. So all the problems you mentioned above is not really acceptable anymore. I think people will raise their standard as they pay more for the van. Ford should really adjust their strategies for the Transit and differentiate their customer types to avoid alienate a rapidly growing market segment.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Transit is no long viewed as a delivery van by many people. ... Ford should really adjust their strategies for the Transit and differentiate their customer types to avoid alienate a rapidly growing market segment.
99% of buyers still view it as a delivery van. The upfitters/RV conversion companies help add premium-ness to the delivery vans. Us DIY'ers need to do it ourselves.

And it's a Ford.

I've read plenty of similar complaints (expectations not meeting reality in their delivery vans) from Sprinter owners, and at least in the US, if there is a brand that can lay claim to quality it would be Mercedes Benz.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Maybe its not
@CrewVanManInfo says he has orders pulled for production with the high res rear view camera and advised me to keep it on my order....

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
at least in the US, if there is a brand that can lay claim to quality it would be Mercedes Benz.
MB trucks is not a luxury brand. Folks in the US seem to erroneously transfer that image from the passenger vehicle.
Not sure how true it is anymore, but in Europe MB autos used to cover a wider price range/market than in the US. I am thinking of the ubiquitous W123 taxi cabs. IIRC a low end version of that car might not have been much more expensive than a comparable car from other European manufacturers. However, those low end variants were never (rarely?) exported to the US.

With all that talk on this site about swapping grills, I was thinking increasing the luxury quotient of my van by of grafting one of these on?
Automotive design Chair Cylinder Art Rectangle

·
Registered
'21 R2X Ordered 02/04
118 Posts
Maybe its not
@CrewVanManInfo says he has orders pulled for production with the high res rear view camera and advised me to keep it on my order....
I think these are 2 different options. Sounds like yours is High Resolution Digital Camera (61E) and OP is referencing Digital Rearview Mirror (90C) which as of the 8/30 update to the order guide went from late availability to moved to 23MY.

Reactions: Covid van de Mic
1 - 20 of 26 Posts