Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Pickups aren't what they used to be. Look at the crazy $60K list prices. The entire market has been hijacked by people who want mediocre handling luxury SUVs with an open trunk. The last pickup I bought was a base model regular cab 4x4 with 8 ft box and I used it for work. Now you have to go to a dealer in farm country to even find one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Pickups aren't what they used to be. Look at the crazy $60K list prices. The entire market has been hijacked by people who want mediocre handling luxury SUVs with an open trunk. The last pickup I bought was a base model regular cab 4x4 with 8 ft box and I used it for work. Now you have to go to a dealer in farm country to even find one.

Isn't that the truth.

The reason I'm here is I need a work vehicle that gets good economy. Not sure the Transit will serve the second need but it is too soon to tell. I'm thinking of ordering a diesel 130" medium roof but the 3.73 axle is on hold in the shorter van. It shows available on all of the documents but the order would not go through at the dealership. The standard axle is the 3.31 which is fine, but tow rating is 4600 lbs. vs. the 7500 lb. rating with the 3.73's. and the 13500 GCVW.

I tried to order a new Ram 1500 V6 diesel in regular cab 8' bed and was told it was not available. Only grocery getter PU's were available. The useful load of my BMW 5 series is greater than the useful load of most of those PU's. For real. I checked the door jamb stickers and build sheets.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I tried to order a new Ram 1500 V6 diesel in regular cab 8' bed and was told it was not available. Only grocery getter PU's were available. The useful load of my BMW 5 series is greater than the useful load of most of those PU's. For real. I checked the door jamb stickers and build sheets.[/QUOTE]
It is amazing that the standard cab 8' box pickup is now an oddity. I am sure Ram will get around to making a standard cab 1500 with the diesel but with limited engine availability they want to sell only the most expensive, highest demand trucks first.
They did the same thing when the v6 8spd truck came out in 2013. For the first several months you couldn't find a standard cab 8' box with that engine, now there are lots of them, I bought 1 in February that the dealer had on his lot since June 2013 & paid $18,800 for a loaded Tradesman, $28,800 MSRP, they have very low demand for these trucks.
I am in the midst of an experiment to see if I can work efficiently out of my pickup with contractors cover & sliding bed. I am still refining the workings of the bed & cover, some cargo is easier to load & some is more difficult. The fuel economy of this power train is impressive, 23.5 highway,20.5 mixed/real world, hand calculated MPG.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like the Lincoln LT pick up, how many do you see on the job site?

·
Registered
185 Posts
...I bought 1 in February that the dealer had on his lot since June 2013 & paid $18,800 for a loaded Tradesman, $28,800 MSRP, they have very low demand for these trucks...
And the funny thing is they are the cheapest thing you can drive thanks to incredible resale. I paid $16,500 for mine and sold it 6 years later for $10,500. Demand is strong for used 4x4s with 8 ft. bed. Show my anything else you can drive for $1000/year depreciation. If I didn't need a wheelchair transport I would still be driving a basic pickup today.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts