Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

First post here, so I am about to place an order for a 2020 High Roof 148" 350HD Extended EcoBoost. I love the look of the new HID headlights with the LED surround and was really bummed to find out I couldn't option a 350 DRW with the exterior upgrade package. But then I was just messing around with the configurator and realized you can option a 350 HR SRW Extended with the exterior upgrade package which gets you the badass headlights. I just cannot wrap my brain around why Ford won't allow the DRW to get the exterior upgrade package. Makes absolutely zeroooo sense and is pushing my ever so closer to emptying my wallet on a 2020 Sprinter as they allow the LED headlights on any configuration but I really want the Ford. It's cheaper, I like Ford, and the EcoBoost hauls ass.

Anyone have any more insight? Is this an error in the configurator?

Thanks,

Mitch

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
2,192 Posts
Don't rely on the configurator. It's not very accurate and has all sorts of coding issues. the Exterior Upgrade package is listed as option code 18D for DRW and 18L for DRW. The package allows you to then get the optional HID headlights, option code 91A.

Are you building a cargo or passenger van? There are differences there as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't rely on the configurator. It's not very accurate and has all sorts of coding issues. the Exterior Upgrade package is listed as option code 18D for DRW and 18L for DRW. The package allows you to then get the optional HID headlights, option code 91A.

Are you building a cargo or passenger van? There are differences there as well.
Ahh I see, I am building a Cargo van with fixed rear glass and passenger sliding door. I am happy to hear this, it's a little thing but I really want those headlights and if I am spending this much money I want to get exactly what I want. Y'know what I mean, plus it's probably gonna take a year to build but I've accepted that at this point. Will give me time to save enough money to pay half the thing off by the time it is delivered.

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
2,192 Posts
Well, it looks like I might be wrong. The Order Guide says that the Exterior Upgrade package 18L allows the HID option, but then the HID option on its own says it's not available at all on the cargo van. I seem to remember others posting this same information, and trying to figure out if they can add them after the fact to the cargo vans. They do show as available on the crew van and passenger van.

You'll love the van. I have a T350HD EcoBoost dually as well, with dual sliding doors and a Quigley 4 x 4 . It drives like a big Focus.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it looks like I might be wrong. The Order Guide says that the Exterior Upgrade package 18L allows the HID option, but then the HID option on its own says it's not available at all on the cargo van. I seem to remember others posting this same information, and trying to figure out if they can add them after the fact to the cargo vans. They do show as available on the crew van and passenger van.

You'll love the van. I have a T350HD EcoBoost dually as well, with dual sliding doors and a Quigley 4 x 4 . It drives like a big Focus.
So knowing that info, do you think it's a fluke that you can currently configure a SRW 350 148" with the exterior upgrade package? Yeah I test drove a 2020 the other day (SRW 350 Extended High Roof) and in pure acceleration it would easily wreck my Fiesta ST. It's fun to drive! I immediately went to a MB vans dealer and drove a 170" Extended and yes it is "nicer" but wasn't as fast and made some weird as gear noises for a brand new under 20 mile vehicle. The turbo diesel did have some low end kick, but the top end fell off really fast which totally makes sense for a diesel.

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
2,192 Posts
You can configure a DRW with the Exterior Upgrade Package as well on the Build Your Own site. That doesn't give you HID lights. The EUP says :

EXTERIOR UPGRADE PACKAGE - DRW (18L)
Availability:
●Cargo Van, Crew Van, Passenger Van XLT (Standard), Cutaway andChassis Cab
Not available with:
●Passenger Van XL
Includes:
●Chrome-trimmed Halogen Headlamps with Autolamp on Cargo Van,Crew Van, Passenger Van XLT and Cutaway. Chrome-trimmed Halogen Headlamps on Chassis Cab
●Three Bar Grille with Chrome Surround
●16” Heavy-Duty Silver Steel Wheel with Exposed Lug Nuts
Upgradeable Features/Options (for additional charge):
●HID Headlamps (91A)
●16” Heavy-Duty Forged Aluminum Wheel (Standard Front Axleconfigurations only) (76E)
●16” Heavy-Duty Forged Aluminum Wheel (Heavy-Duty Front Axle configurations only) (76G)
●16” Heavy-Duty White Steel Wheel with Exposed Lug Nuts (StandardFront Axle configurations only) (76D – Fleet Only)

So now it's really not clear. The order guide says the HID option isn't available on the cargo van by itself as an option, but the Exterior Upgrade Package says it is available. The Order Guide is also known to have mistakes. The one I have is dated July 2019 so I am sure their is a more recent one available.

Where are you located? Quite a few of us have ordered vans from Matt Ford just outside Kansas City. They specialize in well equipped non white non base model vans and have plenty of allocation to get whatever you want, and being less than 100 miles from the plant they get their orders delivered by flat bed in a few days instead of the rail shipments which can take several weeks.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
When you bring up the Ford order system for the cargo van, they do not give you the option for the HID Headlamps, only the Halogen Headlamps or the Chrome Trim Halogen Headlamps. We had one forum member who added the Honeycomb front grille and the HID Headlamps on his cargo van by changing the wiring harness on the van to accommodate the factory Ford HID Headlamps. There is a difference in the factory harness and there is supposedly a add-on harness to make this conversion possible.

Waiting to get one of these modified wiring harness so I can see if it will work properly on a 2020 Transit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you bring up the Ford order system for the cargo van, they do not give you the option for the HID Headlamps, only the Halogen Headlamps or the Chrome Trim Halogen Headlamps. We had one forum member who added the Honeycomb front grille and the HID Headlamps on his cargo van by changing the wiring harness on the van to accommodate the factory Ford HID Headlamps. There is a difference in the factory harness and there is supposedly a add-on harness to make this conversion possible.

Waiting to get one of these modified wiring harness so I can see if it will work properly on a 2020 Transit.
So I totally believe you as I see you are the go to guy, but right now if I configure a SRW I can select the Exterior Upgrade Package (S4) under "Exterior" then it shows HID as an optional upgrade. But this same option is gone if I change it to the 9500+ GVWR and get it to be a DRW. I am definitely interested in that modified wiring harness. That seems pretty cool!

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can configure a DRW with the Exterior Upgrade Package as well on the Build Your Own site. That doesn't give you HID lights. The EUP says :

EXTERIOR UPGRADE PACKAGE - DRW (18L)
Availability:
●Cargo Van, Crew Van, Passenger Van XLT (Standard), Cutaway andChassis Cab
Not available with:
●Passenger Van XL
Includes:
●Chrome-trimmed Halogen Headlamps with Autolamp on Cargo Van,Crew Van, Passenger Van XLT and Cutaway. Chrome-trimmed Halogen Headlamps on Chassis Cab
●Three Bar Grille with Chrome Surround
●16” Heavy-Duty Silver Steel Wheel with Exposed Lug Nuts
Upgradeable Features/Options (for additional charge):
●HID Headlamps (91A)
●16” Heavy-Duty Forged Aluminum Wheel (Standard Front Axleconfigurations only) (76E)
●16” Heavy-Duty Forged Aluminum Wheel (Heavy-Duty Front Axle configurations only) (76G)
●16” Heavy-Duty White Steel Wheel with Exposed Lug Nuts (StandardFront Axle configurations only) (76D – Fleet Only)

So now it's really not clear. The order guide says the HID option isn't available on the cargo van by itself as an option, but the Exterior Upgrade Package says it is available. The Order Guide is also known to have mistakes. The one I have is dated July 2019 so I am sure their is a more recent one available.

Where are you located? Quite a few of us have ordered vans from Matt Ford just outside Kansas City. They specialize in well equipped non white non base model vans and have plenty of allocation to get whatever you want, and being less than 100 miles from the plant they get their orders delivered by flat bed in a few days instead of the rail shipments which can take several weeks.
It's so confusing lol, after reading through this forum I think I am going to go through Matt Ford. I am located in Southern California. But the drive back would be a nice break in drive.

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
2,192 Posts
The config page is strange. I was able to get it to show HID lights as an option on a SRW cargo, but now can't repeat that. I suspect there is some errant code in the dependencies on the web site.

Going through Matt Ford is a great idea. Ed Bowers (CrewVanMan) knows these vans better than any other salesperson and has contacts with Ford corporate folks at the plant. If something is possible, he will figure it out. I was living in TN when I bought my van and my wife flew up and drove it home. Ship a sleeping bag, cot and backpack to the dealership by UPS and fly in on a cheap ticket and make a trip out of it. Check out a few National Parks on the way home and sleep in the van.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The config page is strange. I was able to get it to show HID lights as an option on a SRW cargo, but now can't repeat that. I suspect there is some errant code in the dependencies on the web site.

Going through Matt Ford is a great idea. Ed Bowers (CrewVanMan) knows these vans better than any other salesperson and has contacts with Ford corporate folks at the plant. If something is possible, he will figure it out. I was living in TN when I bought my van and my wife flew up and drove it home. Ship a sleeping bag, cot and backpack to the dealership by UPS and fly in on a cheap ticket and make a trip out of it. Check out a few National Parks on the way home and sleep in the van.
Yeah I'm guessing it's an error on the backend. What a bummer :( I really hope there's a way to retrofit the HID's because I just have no use for the Crew Van.

That's a great idea! Have you had to use your LSD rear end yet? Wondering if it's worth getting.

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
2,192 Posts
LSD is a must. You will get stuck on wet grass without it. When the time comes that you need it, use the switch in your dash to turn OFF your traction control and drive on out. There's a thread on this forum talking about which options you should really consider getting from the factory and which you could add later. i.e. cruise control is better as a factory option. If you think you are ever going to tow, get the HD trailer tow package and the OEM trailer brake controller. If you don't get the HD Trailer tow or the Tow/Haul Mode with Trailer Wiring Provisions option then you won't have a Tow/Haul mode on your transmission. That can't be added after the fact.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LSD is a must. You will get stuck on wet grass without it. When the time comes that you need it, use the switch in your dash to turn OFF your traction control and drive on out. There's a thread on this forum talking about which options you should really consider getting from the factory and which you could add later. i.e. cruise control is better as a factory option. If you think you are ever going to tow, get the HD trailer tow package and the OEM trailer brake controller. If you don't get the HD Trailer tow or the Tow/Haul Mode with Trailer Wiring Provisions option then you won't have a Tow/Haul mode on your transmission. That can't be added after the fact.
Yeah I think the LSD is mandatory, that’s definitely something I want to get. For sure getting the tow package with brake controller and upfitter switches. Also getting the 360 cameras as I think for where I live it will make parking this massive thing a lot easier. Dual alternators is worth the price I think, and that new blind spot monitor system with trailer support seems like a must for the price.

Do you regret getting the 3.73 instead of 3.31’s at all?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
If you want to know the best information on the 2020 Transit, we have the Matt Ford 2020 B-O-B Transit Service that provides you the most information about the 2020 model and you can use the Transit Order sheet to build out your own order requirements. Then you can email it to me and I build a preview order from the Ford order system with MSRP pricing. Once the preview order is like you want to place the order, I give you a price quote.

You can read more about the service on the Matt Ford website, www.mattford.com under 'Ford Transit Information' and then click on the link 'B-O-B Transit Service'. By ordering your Transit from us, it is a FREE service as you get your fee back in the final paperwork on your purchase.

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
2,192 Posts
Do you regret getting the 3.73 instead of 3.31’s at all?
I didn't have a choice at all. With a dually and the EcoBoost you can only get the 3.73. If I am not mistaken, if you have the all-wheel drive then you automatically get 3.73 as well.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Just a thought but the DRW option makes it a lot harder to swap out the skateboard tires for larger ones, unless you absolutely definitely need DRW.
I swapped out my OEM headlights with LEDs which are every bit as bright as HID's but use less power and are plug and play.

Reactions: asdrew

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
2,192 Posts
The 2020 AWD comes with 205/75-16 so I would assume that the wheels have a slightly higher offset to accommodate that. If so, then a set of 215/85-16 will probably fit nicely. I'm also hoping that since the AWD has this 205/75-16 that there should be some more aggressive all terrain tires coming out in that size in the near future. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
2 Posts
While I agree that the HID light option looks better how much better/brighter are they than the halogens?
I appreciate OldMadBrit's mention of the LED bulbs, which one's are working well in your Transit?

Living in Montana, my thought is to keep the halogens on my order and apply the saved $$ to the agileoffroad.com light mount and a 20" LED light bar.

·
Registered
81 Posts
While I agree that the HID light option looks better how much better/brighter are they than the halogens?
I appreciate OldMadBrit's mention of the LED bulbs, which one's are working well in your Transit?

Living in Montana, my thought is to keep the halogens on my order and apply the saved $$ to the agileoffroad.com light mount and a 20" LED light bar.
These are suppose to be the finest LED bulbs out there currently.

I have no idea what bulb type the transit uses, just grabbed a classic type for the link

1 - 20 of 22 Posts