Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can we explain 2 water pumps system on 3.7L or 3.5L Ford Transit ?
One internal sprocket driven with the timming chain and and one external serpentine driven ???
Make no sense to me !
Happy New Year all of you !

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hmmm... good to know. I am sure there must be a reason and I doubt the bean counters would let the engineers decrease the profit of the Company with no reason. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt to the scientists/engineers, but eager to find out the reason(s) behind this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And the worst thing in the story is that will cost about 2500$ for the job, more or less 15 hours of labor :-(

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
That's funny considering I had to add a inline electric water pump to get enough head pressure to
get my aftermarket rear heater core to work .
So apparently I have 3 water pumps

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am a ford dealership technician.

These vehicles do not have 2 coolant pumps. They have a standard external coolant pump and the internal "coolant pump" is actually just a pulley with no coolant pumping impeller on the inside. Some 3.5L v6 engines, the ones that came in the explorer, tarus and flex, had internal water pumps and no external ones. The engines in the transits have external pumps and the internal pump is now just a pulley for the timing chain. The internal water pump design was required for space saving reasons in the aforementioned vehicles but is not necessary in the transit. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I am a ford dealership technician.

These vehicles do not have 2 coolant pumps. They have a standard external coolant pump and the internal "coolant pump" is actually just a pulley with no coolant pumping impeller on the inside. Some 3.5L v6 engines, the ones that came in the explorer, tarus and flex, had internal water pumps and no external ones. The engines in the transits have external pumps and the internal pump is now just a pulley for the timing chain. The internal water pump design was required for space saving reasons in the aforementioned vehicles but is not necessary in the transit. Hope that helps.
Thanks, that's good to know. I was a victim of the exploding plastic impeller pumps in the "Duratc" 2.5L that was used in the Contour a couple of decades ago. This Transit will be my second Ford ever. Hoping it goes better this time!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks, that's good to know. I was a victim of the exploding plastic impeller pumps in the "Duratc" 2.5L that was used in the Contour a couple of decades ago. This Transit will be my second Ford ever. Hoping it goes better this time!
Which engine do you have in your transit?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for asking. 2020 3.5 Ecoboost.
(was wishing I stayed with base engine after I saw your post, but that horse already left the barn)
The ecoboost engine is a solid engine, I don't like the 3.5 N/A engine currently available in new transits anyways. I love my 3.7 but if I had to purchase a transit now I would probably get the 3.5 eco boost if I could afford it. The issues it has are well known and not very common. The new 3.5N/A currently offered has an EGR system and I absolutely hate EGR systems. I would do almost anything to avoid owning a vehicle with an EGR system as its basically just a matter of time before it eventually has a problem, although admittedly that can be a very long time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The ecoboost engine is a solid engine, I don't like the 3.5 N/A engine currently available in new transits anyways. I love my 3.7 but if I had to purchase a transit now I would probably get the 3.5 eco boost if I could afford it. The issues it has are well known and not very common. The new 3.5N/A currently offered has an EGR system and I absolutely hate EGR systems. I would do almost anything to avoid owning a vehicle with an EGR system as its basically just a matter of time before it eventually has a problem, although admittedly that can be a very long time.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Thanks again. So it sounds like for 2020, Ecoboost was the better choice. 👍 \
So does my engine have the internal water pump or a pulley?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts