Ford Transit USA Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
ordered 4/26/21 130" LR Crew EB R1Z
94 Posts
Absolute temp is not the requirement . It is temperature differential in your exhaust system that condenses the cooler air to vapor and finally liquid. (SUBLIMATION OF STATE) vapor to liquid and back to vapor.

·
Registered
197 Posts
This was a good suggestion.

I did it, and it looks like water vapor. So its either from the gas or something seriously wrong and coolant making its way to places it shouldn't be?
You seem not to trust the replies you're getting from people that know something about vehicles.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Adding a post to help this silliness to get to 30 posts!! Lets do this!

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
1,500 Posts
Having melted the turbos in a 2013 EcoBoost recently, I was concerned when I read the post. But that looks like a rather typical amount of water condensation from a "large engine" setup to me. Mine is similar. The (turbos replaced) Explorer is similar. Probably fine would be my guess.

General rule of thumb is LOTS of white is coolant (usually head-gasket blowout) and more gray-ish is oil (usually really bad - typically bottom-end gone). But the EB in the Explorer did some seriously white-ish stuff when it blew the turbos - guessing just that darn hot.

Personal guess: you're fine.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
You seem not to trust the replies you're getting from people that know something about vehicles.
I don't see how you get that impression from @eranrund's replies to any of the suggestions, even a few that one might interpret as condescending. I see the follow up questions as what a critical thinker would ask to gain a greater understanding of the situation. I suppose I could see how these questions might be misinterpreted as challenging the credibility of an answer. I can assure you that is not the case.

·
Registered
E450 Wagon
273 Posts
One more note… exhaust water vapor condenses at lower relative humidity from turbo-motors, because heat is already substantially lost and transferred in the turbos themselves.

·
Registered
'21 XLT MR 148 Wagon, Eco, 3:31 LSD, RWD, PSD, NAV, ACC
171 Posts
Looks like condensation to me completely normal.
+1

(I will also add that the dipstick on the EB motor is a tough read, it always seems to show some above the marks from sliding it into the short guide tube. Best bet is to get "one clean pull" after it has been sitting a while)

·
Registered
2021 Cargo T350 EL High roof AWD Ecoboost
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thank you all for the (mostly) reassuring replies. @njvagabond I especially appreciate your comment about my intentions. Sorry I upset some people here by digging into the details and trying to learn as much as I can about this 🤷‍♂️ I'm going to forget about the vapor for the time being and monitor my coolant levels.

·
Registered
ordered 4/26/21 130" LR Crew EB R1Z
94 Posts
Never apologize on a forum for trying to learn something. Only one or two respondents will be RICHARDS. The rest will be willing to explain and help. Good luck Your Van video looks normal.

·
Registered
985 Posts
It's almost certainly steam. You should see mine in the winter. It'll make full on white clouds that obscure visibility. Dripping from the exhaust system and standing water in the tailpipe after engine off are a few small issues I discovered last winter. I was able to reduce the standing tailpipe water with teeth filed into the end. A few comments and photos have been appended to the end of the water tank install post in my build thread. That was post where I wrapped the first muffler with fiberglass, so it seems like the natural place for them. We'll see this winter if the fiberglass wrap makes any difference in the big drip that happens at that muffler's weep hole. Hopefully it'll keep temps up and reduce the puddle that forms under the van at that location.

Cheers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
How warm? It was around ~65-70 when I looked at it today, so not a particularly freezing
It's almost certainly steam. You should see mine in the winter. It'll make full on white clouds that obscure visibility. Dripping from the exhaust system and standing water in the tailpipe after engine off are a few small issues I discovered last winter. I was able to reduce the standing tailpipe water with teeth filed into the end. A few comments and photos have been appended to the end of the water tank install post in my build thread. That was post where I wrapped the first muffler with fiberglass, so it seems like the natural place for them. We'll see this winter if the fiberglass wrap makes any difference in the big drip that happens at that muffler's weep hole. Hopefully it'll keep temps up and reduce the puddle that forms under the van at that location.

Cheers.
My Toyota Tundra does the same in certain weather conditions. But, so does my Transit 350 HD. However, if your Transit is blowing white exhaust while you are driving on the highway, that would be a problem.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
My Toyota Tundra does the same in certain weather conditions. But, so does my Transit 350 HD. However, if your Transit is blowing white exhaust while you are driving on the highway, that would be a problem.
Thankfully it is only when starting. A friend sent me a video of his, looks identical to mine. So yeah, nothing to see here (and I'm not complaining...)

·
Registered
2018 Transit 250 SRW HR EXL 3.7L 4.10R Dual AGM
216 Posts
Ford dealer tech here. Your vehicle is fine my friend! No need to worry, you are seeing water condensation burn off from the exhaust system. Water commonly condenses inside the exhaust system when the vehicle cools down, its 100% normal. Oil level and quality is great, coolant level and condition is fine. Nothing is wrong with your vehicle, you are just worried about your new baby. Enjoy your rig and don't sweat the small stuff.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Ford dealer tech here. Your vehicle is fine my friend! No need to worry, you are seeing water condensation burn off from the exhaust system. Water commonly condenses inside the exhaust system when the vehicle cools down, its 100% normal. Oil level and quality is great, coolant level and condition is fine. Nothing is wrong with your vehicle, you are just worried about your new baby. Enjoy your rig and don't sweat the small stuff.
Music to my ears. Thank you :)

·
Registered
2017 Eco Boost 148” Med roof.
52 Posts
Really? This is completely normal an nothing to worry about. Wait till it gets about 20 degrees out. I can’t believe all u guys r coming up with all conspiracy theories. Lol

·
Registered
126 Posts
I did it, and it looks like water vapor. So its either from the gas or something seriously wrong and coolant making its way to places it shouldn't be?
None of the above. Water vapor is a natural by-product of combustion in an engine, especially one that isn't fully warmed up.

And, the drain holes in the muffler are there for this reason, not water in your gas.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
None of the above. Water vapor is a natural by-product of combustion in an engine, especially one that isn't fully warmed up.

And, the drain holes in the muffler are there for this reason, not water in your gas.
So where does this water condensation come from if not the gas? Ethanol attracts water.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts