Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2022 XLT Low-Roof Passenger (ordered Oct 2021, received May 2022)
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 2022 Transit about a week ago. I saw the little storage area on the dashboard with both a cigarette lighter and USB-C charger, and with Android Auto and the the fact that I really shouldn't be using my phone while driving anyway, I thought that would be a convenient place to store and as needed charge the phone while driving. However, I did this a few times and found that my phone was hot from the sun through the windshield, and was much cooler when I stored it in the center console. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I got my 2022 Transit about a week ago. I saw the little storage area on the dashboard with both a cigarette lighter and USB-C charger, and with Android Auto and the the fact that I really shouldn't be using my phone while driving anyway, I thought that would be a convenient place to store and as needed charge the phone while driving. However, I did this a few times and found that my phone was hot from the sun through the windshield, and was much cooler when I stored it in the center console. Any thoughts?
I use the left cup holder in the center console. I have the small or medium console that makes it easy to get in the back. I then use the lower left cup holder for my water bottle so it's always out of the sun. And with the phone there it's easy to have the sync screen plugged in for Google nav. I can't believe they didn't make that work wirelessly, or maybe they did and I've overlooked the option.

Only downside of the cup holder is weaker reception, so occasionally I move it to that top spot if really necessary.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2018 Transit 250 SRW HR EXL 3.7L 4.10R Dual AGM
422 Posts
I know this doesn't exactly help you in this situation but on the older version of the transit (I have an 2018) on the right side of the instrument cluster but to the left of the radio, there is a slot for a cell phone to sit vertically. It's relatively well placed and I just make sure each time I get a new phone that it will fit in the slot with a case on it and has been fairly useful.

I did for a time use a system that mounted just below the rear view mirror. I have no rear windows so the mirror is fairly useless and it was nice and eye level for directions and what not.

I have also seen some using a suction cup system on the left side of the window near the left hand a-pillar to have the phone in a convenient location for viewing and minimal window area blocked.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
On my older van it's either in the door pocket or the glove box. I turn it on and check for messages a couple times a day.

·
Registered
2022 XLT Low-Roof Passenger (ordered Oct 2021, received May 2022)
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I then use the lower left cup holder for my water bottle so it's always out of the sun. And with the phone there it's easy to have the sync screen plugged in for Google nav. I can't believe they didn't make that work wirelessly, or maybe they did and I've overlooked the option.
In my 2022 I can connect wirelessly to Android Auto as well as the Bluetooth phone capability. In looking into the Android Auto functionality, it seems wireless connectivity wasn't available until 2021 or later model years and also requires Android 11 on the phone, otherwise you have to use the USB port and cord.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
In my 2022 I can connect wirelessly to Android Auto as well as the Bluetooth phone capability. In looking into the Android Auto functionality, it seems wireless connectivity wasn't available until 2021 or later model years and also requires Android 11 on the phone, otherwise you have to use the USB port and cord.
Nice! I figured they'd upgrade that sent I saw the option in the app on my phone even in 2020, but it didn't work in the van. Wish I had that. The cord is a PITA, although by now I found a right-sized one that stays out of the way and at least my phone is always charged. Also, the easiest way I've found to be able to get into google maps on my phone when android auto is running is to just pull the plug. The sync screen provides limited functionality and blocks access to google maps on the phone. It also limits functionality for some other apps, or takes over functionality (e.g. dialer/phone calls), so sometimes pulling the plug is the fastest/easiest way to do what I want. But I bet the wireless version is the answer to a lot of those issues.

Cheers.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Also, the easiest way I've found to be able to get into google maps on my phone when android auto is running is to just pull the plug. The sync screen provides limited functionality and blocks access to google maps on the phone. It also limits functionality for some other apps, or takes over functionality (e.g. dialer/phone calls), so sometimes pulling the plug is the fastest/easiest way to do what I want. But I bet the wireless version is the answer to a lot of those issues.

Cheers.
I too hate that about Android Auto, I'd much prefer a unit that can do mapping itself like the good ole days of in-car GPS, but I guess mfgs got tired of updating their map systems.

Wireless Android Auto is also poorly implemented as well, on some phones it costs upwards of 15%/hr, so you might as well keep it plugged in.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
I ditched the crappy factory infotainment system and installed an Android OS radio with GPS, OBD diagnostics, and a bunch of other features.

Reactions: gregoryx

·
Registered
463 Posts
I installed a pro-clip wireless charger. I have been a huge fan of this upgrade. Here is how I did mine if you want to see the work involved.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
On a side note, what I wish I had but don't in current 2020 are:

2021 - wireless CarPlay
2021 - electric parking/e-brake (gets the lever out from between the seats)
2022 - keyless entry/start

I do use a magnetic connecting cord for my iPhone, which reduces the hassle of plugging in. But it's still a cord to deal with.

I use a cheap cup-holder mount (expanding wedge) with a spring-loaded holder on a flexible arm. I put it in the passenger's side cup-holder and my drink in the closer. That makes the phone about 6" too far for Apple's Face ID though, so to unlock I need to lean a little towards the phone, otherwise it works great. Passenger still gets the cupholder on the right side of dash, and in the door.

·
Registered
2019 250 148 mr
646 Posts
I've gotten so used to using navigation by sound only, as that's the way I do it on the motorcycle. I get turn by turn instructions in my helmet speakers and it works great.

I have a phone mount on the bikes handlebars to make it easier to punch in new destinations on a long trip, but generally the screen is off as I found it to be a huge distraction.

Phone stays in my pocket most of the time.

Then again, I'm old and used to look at the map before I started out and memorize the turns and road names. I got pretty good at it.

·
Registered
2018 Ford Transit 250 MR Cargo ECO
1,382 Posts
On left cup holder:

·
Registered
2018 Ford Transit 250 MR Cargo ECO
1,382 Posts
Right cup holder iPad holder for long trips

1 - 20 of 35 Posts