Ford Transit USA Forum banner
121 - 140 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sure thing! Mercedes of Chantilly VA. Ask for Wesley, he's their Sprinter salesman. They get plenty of order allocations for 2wd, I think the AWD allocations are a little harder to come by.

They are part of the Penske Automotive Group and told me that Roger Penske told all his dealers they will only charge MSRP, no markups.
Yesterday at the Mercedes dealer near me in Colorado, I saw a 2022 4x4 HighRoof 144 WB Sprinter on the lot MSRP $65K + $20K Market Adjustment = $85K out the door. Are you saying you ordered a 2023 for MSRP with NO market adjustment? Please PM me with what you paid please. This is too good to be true.

·
Registered
376 Posts
i went to a four wheel camper on an existing gen 1 tundra years ago when i got tired of messing with Vanagon syncros and 4x4 econoline wasnt doing it for me. i ended up becoming shop manager for the dealer, worked for four wheel camper for 4 years. great fricken product. I had my 2020 transit for sale just as a test and when i got back from a trip decided to list my FWC and i was gonna keep which ever one didnt sell. woman came to see the transit in the AM on the day i listed the FWC. guy came in the afternoon to see it, 2 hours after i listed it and bought it. woman called and wanted the transit 30 minutes later---$%&*. no big deal i said, i already have a 21 transit on order--19 months later and 3 model years i have no rig. actually looking at used something or another to get by until a transit decides to show up. long story short--regret selling my FWC

·
Registered
9,579 Posts
A buddy who works for LAPD looked into the "perfect" option for camping trips; trailer, camper, or trade his pickup for a 4x4 van. After almost a year of deliberation and test driving etc. he bought a FWC for his Tacoma. He loves it, but it's what works best for HIS situation, and might not be the "best" option for everyone. On his first trip with it, he actually picked it up that morning, we met up in Mountain Home State Forest, and he managed to lock himself out of it! We were able to get the door window open, but he couldn't unlock it by reaching in (don't know why), and he squeezed through the window and figured it out from inside.

I thought the interior was well-planned, and it was a lot more spacious than it looks from outside, like the Tardis. I'm skeptical about a pop-up top, but I'm a fair-weather camper and wouldn't be using it in freezing temps much. I don't know how noisy it is, but probably better than a camping tent. I think I'd go for a hard-side pop-up like the Alaskan if given the choice.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I'm skeptical about a pop-up top, but I'm a fair-weather camper and wouldn't be using it in freezing temps much. I don't know how noisy it is, but probably better than a camping tent. I think I'd go for a hard-side pop-up like the Alaskan if given the choice.
Like was said above, there is no perfect one. I had a pop-top. When up, it had amazing ventiliation and a total "treehouse" feel that is hard to beat. Really nice.

OTOH, it was not great for the "on the move" type of trip where you might stop at a rest area or Walmart or truck stop (too obvious, too noisy). Or if you just want to be a little "not in your face" with the info that you are camping in there - poptop broadcasts it. Also not great if you tend to camp in the rain and don't have a garage in which to pop it back up and dry it. Also if you really want to load up with solar or a Yakima box or similar, but you still have to pop it up...

Also, there is a lot of storage lost (because no upper cabinets).

OTOH, if it's a truck camper (mine wasn't) you can get a lot of storage with a crew cab truck. There is also a bit better gas mileage with the top down (depending on the setup). I don't tend to spend a lot of time in places with low tree cover, but that would make the pop-top a plus.

It wasn't a great fit for me and my style of travel due to reasons mentioned above; but I still miss that "treehouse" feature. That was fantastic.

·
Registered
112 Posts
along with flashing LED lights for the kids
Are you sure they are for the kids? I have strings of lights around my place because I just love the ambiance. If Ford ever decides to choose my dealer (Crossley) and I to have a Transit built for me, I already plan on having them in there too!

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Repurposed a boom mike stand as a tripod for the long range antenna, bought a coax cable entry gland, a two into one parallel adapter, a 12.5 foot collapsible ladder and the hardware to attach the solar panels to the roof. Still deciding on a spare tire and wheel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
There is a local DFW Chevy dealer who currently has 11 Transits that were traded in and are available for sale. If you need a Transit for now you might look at one of these as a fill-in vehicle. These are MR 148" WB cargo vans with some Oxford White and a few are White Gold Metallic.

Send me a PM and I can give you a contact at the dealership. If you need to see the online window sticker, I just need the 17 digit VIN to get it for you.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Attached 400 watts of solar (2 - 200 watt 24 volt panels in parallel) on the roof, installed an entry gland, installed an assist handle for the side door and moved the second "solar generator" into Plan B.

121 - 140 of 152 Posts