Ford Transit USA Forum banner

What's plan B?

10962 151
Now that my 2022 order is surely going to be canceled (PSD, SYNC4, etc), what should my plan B be?
We've already waited since last September on this one and we can't wait another year for a 2023. We need a vehicle within the next two months max.
Finding a used Transit would be a letdown compared to the build we were going to get for somewhere around the same price.
Are Sprinters delayed too? Any other vehicles I'm not thinking about? What are you all doing?
Reactions: tcnkla
101 - 120 of 152 Posts

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
AC arrived today along with wheel chocks, 3 foldable beds for the grand kids and two 2000 lb jack stands for the back of the cargo trailer when not attached to the truck. Thursday my nerf bars and my waterproof pop up truck bed cover get installed. Outdoor tables, chairs, portable solar panels etc will go in the truck bed. AC and 32" tv, and two additional solar generators get installed on Saturday. Next weekend is sleep in the driveway day. Can Grandpa survive? News at 11 PM.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Moved the 3 and 4 level metal storage shelves into the Cargo Trailer. Kids and Grandpa to spend the night in the driveway after the AC is installed on Saturday. As planned, lots of room for the kids to play, watch their Tablets and or TV in the Trailer. So far about 8 hours of work in the trailer...not counting what I bought and or had on hand. Out of pocket about 1 K excluding the the solar generators and panels.. I will let the kids decorate where needed, The blackout curtains came in very handy for separating the toilet area and as wall decoration.

·
Registered
2020 T150 Passenger Low Roof 130 AWD
274 Posts
Plan B for people who need a transit van could be one of the 4,351 used Transits listed at cars.com yesterday. 293 of these are AWD. Most are not highly optioned. Plan B's are Plan B's for a reason.

Reactions: surly Bill

·
Registered
2021 Power Sliding Door that also has a van attached to it
564 Posts
Honestly, my first preference would always be a used vehicle. The problem is that for a high-roof, extended, dual-rear-wheel, they're still going for the same price as new even when 3 years old with 50k miles on them.

I wish I was shorter. Medium-roof vans are a LOT easier to find.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Plan B for people who need a transit van could be one of the 4,351 used Transits listed at cars.com yesterday. 293 of these are AWD. Most are not highly optioned. Plan B's are Plan B's for a reason.
Used simply isn't an option at these prices. If I'm buying used, I expect a very significantly lower price. The used transits I've looked at and have cost very nearly as much as they did new... And a great many seem to cost even more than a new one! Which is simply insulting...

I've never been afraid of used cars. But without a significant savings there really is no point.

·
Registered
9,579 Posts
Used prices are what they are because of supply and demand. I'm still shocked that I could sell my 7 year old van with 107k miles for as much or more than I bought it new. Not that I would, because I use my van.

·
Registered
2021 Power Sliding Door that also has a van attached to it
564 Posts
Used prices are what they are because of supply and demand. I'm still shocked that I could sell my 7 year old van with 107k miles for as much or more than I bought it new. Not that I would, because I use my van.
I bought my 2008 E-350 in April 2020 for $10.5k.

When it was stolen a little over a year later (June 2021), insurance paid me out just over $21k.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
AC and TV installed today, bedding for the 3 Grand Kids beds bought, snacks and drinks ready for their first overnighter tonight, Cassette toilet and fresh water were filled. Children are deciding on which toys to bring. Usually they eat summer sausage, crackers and cheese for a snack but tonight they actually have a party plate for the special occasion along with 42 bags of chips too many sodas to count etc.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Update on the first overnighter and the day before the night: AC was installed around noon (90 plus degrees in direct sunlight) and by 4 PM I had to turn down to low cool and reduced the temp by about 1/3 rd as it was very cool. No thermometer in the trailer (now on THE LIST). For anyone who actually believes that a 5000 BTU window AC cannot cool down a 6' x 12' trailer/van (with minimal insulation but no windows). you may want to reconsider. The cassette toilet was used 6 times...the kids thought it was fun. Today I bought a separate rechargeable light for the bathroom and portable plastic steps to get in and out of the trailer (300 lb capacity two step horse grooming steps from Tractor Supply). The kids foldable beds worked both as a chair with one of the sections as a back cushion and two sections to sit on and as a bed. Somehow I need to fashion cup holders as spills were a plenty. Dry runs in the driveway are useful.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Update on the first overnighter and the day before the night: AC was installed around noon (90 plus degrees in direct sunlight) and by 4 PM I had to turn down to low cool and reduced the temp by about 1/3 rd as it was very cool. No thermometer in the trailer (now on THE LIST). For anyone who actually believes that a 5000 BTU window AC cannot cool down a 6' x 12' trailer/van (with minimal insulation but no windows). you may want to reconsider. The cassette toilet was used 6 times...the kids thought it was fun. Today I bought a separate rechargeable light for the bathroom and portable plastic steps to get in and out of the trailer (300 lb capacity two step horse grooming steps from Tractor Supply). The kids foldable beds worked both as a chair with one of the sections as a back cushion and two sections to sit on and as a bed. Somehow I need to fashion cup holders as spills were a plenty. Dry runs in the driveway are useful.
Sounds like a great time. Enjoy that cargo trailer.

·
Registered
Totalled 2019 T250 EXT HR Diesel On order 2022 T350 HD EXT DRW F4U
15 Posts
My plan B 2023 Sprinter became my plan A today. My Mercedes dealer called me Saturday to let me know he got his allocation early and could now submit my order, he wasn't expecting that till August. My experience has been 100% opposite from my Ford dealer experience. Great communication, actually working with me to get the exact configuration I want. They didn't take my deposit or submit my order until they had an actual guaranteed allocation for me. Production scheduled for January/February with expected March delivery. No constraints.

I know there are Sprinter haters on here, but I don't listen to advice from random people on the internet. I have plenty of friends in real life with Sprinters who have no issues.

·
Registered
9,579 Posts
My plan B 2023 Sprinter became my plan A today. My Mercedes dealer called me Saturday to let me know he got his allocation early and could now submit my order, he wasn't expecting that till August. My experience has been 100% opposite from my Ford dealer experience. Great communication, actually working with me to get the exact configuration I want. They didn't take my deposit or submit my order until they had an actual guaranteed allocation for me. Production scheduled for January/February with expected March delivery. No constraints.

I know there are Sprinter haters on here, but I don't listen to advice from random people on the internet. I have plenty of friends in real life with Sprinters who have no issues.
Congrats! I may go back to Sprinter when the time comes for a new van. But lately I've been thinking I may go back to pickups, and just get a nice camper for when I go camping. No interest in pulling a trailer.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
My plan B 2023 Sprinter became my plan A today.
Congrats!

My Mercedes dealer called me Saturday to let me know he got his allocation early and could now submit my order, he wasn't expecting that till August. My experience has been 100% opposite from my Ford dealer experience.
Would you mind mentioning your Mercedes dealer? Plan B may become Plan A.....

·
Registered
Totalled 2019 T250 EXT HR Diesel On order 2022 T350 HD EXT DRW F4U
15 Posts
Congrats!

Would you mind mentioning your Mercedes dealer? Plan B may become Plan A.....
Sure thing! Mercedes of Chantilly VA. Ask for Wesley, he's their Sprinter salesman. They get plenty of order allocations for 2wd, I think the AWD allocations are a little harder to come by.

They are part of the Penske Automotive Group and told me that Roger Penske told all his dealers they will only charge MSRP, no markups.

101 - 120 of 152 Posts