Ford Transit USA Forum banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Now that my 2022 order is surely going to be canceled (PSD, SYNC4, etc), what should my plan B be?
We've already waited since last September on this one and we can't wait another year for a 2023. We need a vehicle within the next two months max.
Finding a used Transit would be a letdown compared to the build we were going to get for somewhere around the same price.
Are Sprinters delayed too? Any other vehicles I'm not thinking about? What are you all doing?
Im selling my 2015 hi top transit for $29,900. 85k miles.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I can’t comment on the older [2015] transits besides I use to work on them all the time. I wasn’t impressed back then
But now you are? I guess that speaks to Ford making many key improvements. I knew there were some but didn't realize they were that major. Good to know (if one can get one!)

I'd be interested to hear some of the ones that come to mind for you when you are typing the above?

·
Registered
55 Posts
But now you are? I guess that speaks to Ford making many key improvements. I knew there were some but didn't realize they were that major. Good to know (if one can get one!)
tI'd be interested to hear some of the ones that come to mind for you when you are typing the above?
I miss read that post from BarbylTransit, my apologies. Wishing you good luck with the sale

·
Registered
2003 E350 7.3L PSD
33 Posts
New plan B, I'm moving to New Zealand and buying an Iveco. :cool:
Best answer.

Personally I'm a big fan of the way that the turbo diesel 6 cylinder diesel engine handles mountain passes and drives around town compared to the various engines offered in the Transit(s).

The member that I was replying to purchased a 22' 4x4 Sprinter so if you're comparing the 2022 Sprinter that has a true 4x4 against the 2022 Transit with AWD I would personally say that the true 4x4 is a better drivetrain. You can include ground clearance in that category as well.

All of the above is irrelevant if money is a factor. For the money I think the AWD Transit is a better purchase especially once the 23' Sprinters move to AWD as well.

Just because it's a better vehicle doesn't mean it's worth the mark up that the vast majority of MB dealers are charging in my opinion.

To make this relevant to this thread based on my personal experience there's the following options:

• Pay $12,000 over MSRP for a 2022 4x4 Sprinter which is roughly $78,000 before tax, tag, title, etc.
  • Keep my fingers crossed that my 2022 AWD Transit order gets picked up for production (lol) which is around $54,000 before tax, tag, title, etc.
  • Order a 2023 AWD Transit that's identical to my 2022 order for $59,000 and cross my fingers that I ever get it
  • Order a 2023 AWD Sprinter - from what I understand there may not be a mark up over MSRP but I've been told that a 23' will be roughly 13% more than the equivalent 22'
  • Buy a used Ford Econoline and have Fiberine cut the top off and make it a high roof and take it to U Joint or AJ's for 4x4 conversion
Those are the options in my opinion. My wife and I need a high roof van and we need 4x4 or AWD - we live in Tahoe and actually use our van year round. We have gone through winters with a RWD Sprinter and it is not a viable option in my opinion.

I've got a 2023 AWD Transit ordered. It costs what it costs and it takes as long as it takes. No amount of bitching and moaning on the internet will change the MSRP. If they provide price protection that's super. If they don't, the Ford is still a less expensive alternative than the Sprinter. That's about all there is to it through my eyes.

Bummer.
Price is a consideration but reliability and service network are the clincher for me. I'm moving back to a small town and also would like more peace of mind in that regard when driving south of the border.

All this does have me considering keeping my 2003 7.3 PSD E350 with 290K miles on it though. For half what I'll spend on a new Transit I could get a high top, a new motor (if/when needed), and all new top of the line and truly capable 4X4 driveline with 6" lift.

Imo, the sprinter does two things better, ground clearance and availability of after market products (which is slowly changing as transits become more popular).

Other than that, the Transit is superior in every other category.

Reliability
Price
Dealer network/service
Size, different heights and width towards top
Driving performance with ecoboost engine
Etc…….
This is how I see it, albeit with no ownership experience of either.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just tried to build a Transit Cargo Van online and found that they are only letting you configure Passenger Vans.
The cost was around $63,300 for what I wanted. I did this to find out what things are selling for these days since I decided yesterday to sell my 2020 Cargo Van, RWD, HR, 148, partial build. Needless to say, I was shocked. Mine was only $49k. Just took it on its shakedown cruise up the West Coast. Did great. Drives like a car. Glad I bought the 3.5L Eco-boost; good passing power. Sorry to hear everyone is having issues with getting their van.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I just tried to build a Transit Cargo Van online and found that they are only letting you configure Passenger Vans.
If you go to the tab "All Vehicles" at the top right, then you will be able to build a (2022) Cargo Van. (I noticed the same thing you did some months ago.)
(That tab also shows cutaways and etc, not that you need those.)

·
Registered
2022 XLT Low-Roof Passenger (ordered Oct 2021, received May 2022)
289 Posts
Also: Even though you've been waiting for hours while we said we were making the Mexican Pizza you ordered (but we weren't, as it turns out), you may not get your NEW Mexican Pizza until well after people who just now walked in and ordered get their NEW Mexican pizza and are already enjoying it. Sorry, no priority!
And there's hardly anything else at this restaurant or any other restaurants that you can eat, particularly if you are looking to feed your family (rather than your business, which provides two other viable alternatives from Mercedes and Ram) with said Mexican Pizza and your only options to get a Mexican Pizza that feeds more than 8 people is to either find a used Mexican Pizza from Nissan, order an inferior Mexican Pizza that hasn't been updated much in the past 25 years from GM, or hope and pray that Ford builds your Mexican pizza. Meanwhile, you pass on used Mexican Pizzas that don't taste as good and get increasingly more expensive while you wait on Ford to make YOUR Mexican Pizza!

Oh, and BTW, they are taking some of the ingredients that you need for your Mexican Pizza ordered months ago or even last year and prioritizing them for other menu items that are supposedly more "profitable" despite the fact that they significantly raised the price they suggest that Taco Bell sell the Mexican Pizza for orders by customers much more recently, some of which are for items that they are sticking out there on a shelf for people to buy without having to wait for the kitchen to make them, even items that will be less likely to sell due to causing too much gas!

·
Registered
2022? HI ROOF, EXT AWD
18 Posts
If you go to the tab "All Vehicles" at the top right, then you will be able to build a (2022) Cargo Van. (I noticed the same thing you did some months ago.)
You can go on the Cosco site you can build a 2023 Cargo vans. I also found that some dealers have means to build 2023's on their site.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thank you. I found the tab. Price for a 2022 was similar to my 2020.

·
Registered
32 Posts
And there's hardly anything else at this restaurant or any other restaurants that you can eat, particularly if you are looking to feed your family (rather than your business, which provides two other viable alternatives from Mercedes and Ram) with said Mexican Pizza and your only options to get a Mexican Pizza that feeds more than 8 people is to either find a used Mexican Pizza from Nissan, order an inferior Mexican Pizza that hasn't been updated much in the past 25 years from GM, or hope and pray that Ford builds your Mexican pizza. Meanwhile, you pass on used Mexican Pizzas that don't taste as good and get increasingly more expensive while you wait on Ford to make YOUR Mexican Pizza!

Oh, and BTW, they are taking some of the ingredients that you need for your Mexican Pizza ordered months ago or even last year and prioritizing them for other menu items that are supposedly more "profitable" despite the fact that they significantly raised the price they suggest that Taco Bell sell the Mexican Pizza for orders by customers much more recently, some of which are for items that they are sticking out there on a shelf for people to buy without having to wait for the kitchen to make them, even items that will be less likely to sell due to causing too much gas!
When I walk into a restaurant and they don't have what I'm really jonesing for because they are frequently out of an item or one ingredient or another.... I may go as far as going to a different restaurant.... I don't sue them. This has actually happened.... "Sorry sir, we're out right now" "When do you expect it to come back?" " We don't know". I'll either switch my order (which really isn't an option on the van purchase) or go to another restaurant that has something else I'm fairly interested in instead. Switching to a Sprinter or a Ram might be a viable option for some.

Personally , we avoided the Sprinter largely because of the limited service network and the fact that I used to work for a shuttle company and their Sprinters were the least reliable vehicles they had... granted that was a decade + ago, but repairpal.com currently gives the recent Sprinters and Promasters a 2 out of 5 rating (Transit is a 3 of 5, better?) and according to Consumers Reports ratings I just looked up the 2020 Sprinter has already had 18 recalls vs the Transit's 6, and the 2021 Sprinter has already had 10 recalls vs the Transit's 1. I can tolerate a recall every now and then but that's a significant difference in my thinking. I hate to even think of the idea of being out in the boonies with a breakdown or away from a major metro area with a Sprinter mechanic. At least with the Transit there's loads of mechanics than can deal with quick fixes.

A lot of what's driving the complaints you see here is the sheer number of Transits that are being sold versus the competition. According to GoodCarBadCar the sales numbers for Sprinter's the last couple of years were 2020- 37K 2021- 40K and 2022 (so far) 10K versus the Promaster's 50K/30K/9K and the Transit's 131K/99K/34K. It appears Ford has been selling double to triple or more than the 2 competitors and it may be that all three companies are going to come up short on deliveries this year if the sales figures don't improve by leaps and bounds. Prospective new model year van buyers may be waiting or paying a huge premium no matter which make they are buying, we just may not be hearing about it because their shortages don't affect as many people due to the sheer fewer van sales they have.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
When I walk into a restaurant and they don't have what I'm really jonesing for because they are frequently out of an item or one ingredient or another.... I may go as far as going to a different restaurant.... I don't sue them. This has actually happened.... "Sorry sir, we're out right now" "When do you expect it to come back?" " We don't know". I'll either switch my order (which really isn't an option on the van purchase) or go to another restaurant that has something else I'm fairly interested in instead. Switching to a Sprinter or a Ram might be a viable option for some.

Personally , we avoided the Sprinter largely because of the limited service network and the fact that I used to work for a shuttle company and their Sprinters were the least reliable vehicles they had... granted that was a decade + ago, but repairpal.com currently gives the recent Sprinters and Promasters a 2 out of 5 rating (Transit is a 3 of 5, better?) and according to Consumers Reports ratings I just looked up the 2020 Sprinter has already had 18 recalls vs the Transit's 6, and the 2021 Sprinter has already had 10 recalls vs the Transit's 1. I can tolerate a recall every now and then but that's a significant difference in my thinking. I hate to even think of the idea of being out in the boonies with a breakdown or away from a major metro area with a Sprinter mechanic. At least with the Transit there's loads of mechanics than can deal with quick fixes.

A lot of what's driving the complaints you see here is the sheer number of Transits that are being sold versus the competition. According to GoodCarBadCar the sales numbers for Sprinter's the last couple of years were 2020- 37K 2021- 40K and 2022 (so far) 10K versus the Promaster's 50K/30K/9K and the Transit's 131K/99K/34K. It appears Ford has been selling double to triple or more than the 2 competitors and it may be that all three companies are going to come up short on deliveries this year if the sales figures don't improve by leaps and bounds. Prospective new model year van buyers may be waiting or paying a huge premium no matter which make they are buying, we just may not be hearing about it because their shortages don't affect as many people due to the sheer fewer van sales they have.

Those production numbers don't surprise me. I hardly ever see a plumber, electrician, delivery van, shuttle van etc.... driving a sprinter anymore. They are all using Transits and Promasters.

I noticed Ram has come out with a new promaster with a higher ceiling height., and Sprinter came out with a new AWD system and I believe they also offer a gasoline engine now, so they are still trying to make improvements and compete.

How long can a manufacturer keep a vehicle going at only 10k units a year before discontinuing the vehicle?

I know a lot of people like to bash on Ford, but it seems like they are better at this van game than Ram or Mercedes, at least in the USA.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts