Ford Transit USA Forum banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
3,440 Posts
I think the Sprinter is a far, far superior van. If I could get a 2022 Sprinter for MSRP I would. That's amazing that you're only paying MSRP.
Curious if you've owned one. 🤔

Perhaps you have. And have simply had a great experience.

I'm not down on them - they are what they are and have good and bad elements - but this doesn't /sound/ like the voice of experience. 🤔

·
Registered
2020 T150 Passenger Low Roof 130 AWD
236 Posts
I'm thinking of selling my 2020 and rebuying in a year or two when I have more travel freedom...so Plan B has been on my mind. I don't like driving Sprinters or Promasters but Chevy Express drives pretty well. Another transit would be Plan A, but for 'B' I'm thinking Chevy Express/GM Savanna with a pop top by either sportsmobile or CCV. The chevy locking deferential sounds decent. Or even an AWD Pacifica would get me back on the road until Transit supplies increase. However, availability seems to be limited across all brands. So far that has kept me from selling my 2020. Fear that I can't replace it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My original plan was to find a good low mileage 2018-2019 2WD 148 HR and drop it off at Quad Van for a facelift. But the market pressure on used vans not only ran the prices up so high, but the ability to find one was daunting. It just made sense to go with a new AWD and enjoy the groovy new colors, the HID headlights and the big screen Sync 4. Now I'm back to looking for a 2018/2019 148 HR Ecoboost. So if any one has a lead on one, I'm all ears.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Is that the same as owning one for an extended period of time?
No, absolutely not. I've just had a lengthy history of owning, building, and living out of Transits and Sprinters. Every summer my wife and I travel and live full time out of a build of mine. Two Transits and three Sprinters so far with 20,000 miles on our current Sprinter that we keep as our personal van.

·
Registered
2019 250 148 mr
646 Posts
Sprinters are very nice when they're new. I'm a huge German car fan from way back ('59 VW pickup) and have had many American and German vans over the years... cars too. 5 ford e350s, transit 250, Chevy 1500 conversion, 1 Sprinter, 3 vw vans ( 2 were Westfalias) and at least a dozen German cars. And a few German motorcycles.

Modern German vehicles are nicely put together, have some very thoughtful engineering, and generally handle better than anything in their class. That said, they are expensive to purchase, expensive to maintain, and stuff breaks pretty often. That's a bad combo for long term ownership.

My advice to anyone that wants a German vehicle: have lots of money, buy new and sell it before the warranty runs out.

I used to include that being able to repair things yourself is a huge benefit, but most cars built in the last 5 years aren't super easy for shade tree mechanics to work on.

Ymmv, of course. So far, I'm pretty happy with the Transit. It does most things well, and a few things adequately. No real complaints so far.

·
Registered
9,162 Posts
Sprinters are definitely nicer, drive one and you'll see. But, for the money the Transit is a better buy. I don't know about Stellantis. If they're 20% cheaper than a Ford, sure, but I don't think they are.

But back the Plan B.

As I mentioned early on, just get a low mile used van if you HAVE to have a van RIGHT NOW. Ordering some van with a bespoke collection of options is going to take AT LEAST a year to get. If you're lucky, you might find a new-on-the-lot van similar to your "dream van". Most options other than drivetrain are easy to bolt on after the fact, anyway. Found one but don't like the color? Suck it up, buttercup.

Reactions: AzB

·
Registered
2019 250 148 mr
646 Posts
Sprinters are definitely nicer, drive one and you'll see. But, for the money the Transit is a better buy. I don't know about Stellantis. If they're 20% cheaper than a Ford, sure, but I don't think they are.

But back the Plan B.

As I mentioned early on, just get a low mile used van if you HAVE to have a van RIGHT NOW. Ordering some van with a bespoke collection of options is going to take AT LEAST a year to get. If you're lucky, you might find a new-on-the-lot van similar to your "dream van". Most options other than drivetrain are easy to bolt on after the fact, anyway. Found one but don't like the color? Suck it up, buttercup.
I've always gotten really good deals on cars sitting on the lotthat were unpopular colors. Saved enough money to get it painted, but I'd rather just keep the money and drive an ugly car. I could really care less what color my car is for the most
part.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
In case anyone is wondering, the link in the post above mine goes to a law firm that does Class Action lawsuits, and from their other cases, it looks like they do a lot of suits involving car mfgrs.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
They love to take on Ford when it comes to lawsuits and looks like they have a winning record. If enough Transit buyers make the effort to contact them, they may be willing to take on their case. Having those emails from Ford may be a valuable part for them to go with handling the case.

·
Registered
9,162 Posts
My observation:
Class action lawsuit wins $10 million, $9.9 million in legal fees, $100k to print out certificates for 5% off next purchase to members of the class. (only applied to full price purchases)

Reactions: IsleofMan

·
Registered
355 Posts
Maybe if the whole world wasn't on the verge of a meltdown because of poor reactions to COVID and CO2 there wouldn't be these shortages and inflated prices.

Reactions: SteveF

·
Registered
2022 W2X 350 HR AWD EB
164 Posts
I’ve been thinking of waiting to see what the Transit Trail looks like. It’s possible that’s why ford has the Adventure package as “late delivery” as it will become the Trail package.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If I had a 2022 Transit ordered with a deposit and nothing going on with price protection or at least a $6000 rebate certificate for a 2023 model, my Plan B.... www.hbsslaw.com
im not opposed to this idea. I currently have a unscheduled order with crewvanman, like many of you. My only real question- what legal rights do we have? we placed a deposit for $1000. I can't say I read the fine print, but my guess is that somewhere in there, it does not promise us anything. If our deposit does enter myself and ford into a legally binding contract where ford is required to provide us with a vehicle at the stated price, im all for it.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Did you get any of the emails from Ford about your Transit order? In some cases, they lead you to believe you would get a 2022 Transit. 'Your order is confirmed' ..... later on in another email' Sorry but your Transit has been delayed'. Has anyone got a email from Ford that they are not going to build out your Transit order? Your dealer may have contacted you about it but if you were getting communication from Ford, why are they not communicating with you now? Just let the dealer give you the bad news so Ford don't have to face the heat from customers.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts