Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that my 2022 order is surely going to be canceled (PSD, SYNC4, etc), what should my plan B be?
We've already waited since last September on this one and we can't wait another year for a 2023. We need a vehicle within the next two months max.
Finding a used Transit would be a letdown compared to the build we were going to get for somewhere around the same price.
Are Sprinters delayed too? Any other vehicles I'm not thinking about? What are you all doing?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just ordered a 4x4 passenger sprinter last month to be delivered in October. My dealer had told me I had to wait for 2023 but Last month got called because he secured an extra 22 allocation. My perception is they seem to be doing better managing the number of allocations/orders vs number of actual builds.

I went with that option because I’d rather not wait a year for delivery and it’s not an option to wait more than a year.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Buy a used van or RV. And order a new one. Drive the used van/RV for a year or two until the ordered van is delivered, sell the used van for as much or more than you bought it for.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just ordered a 4x4 passenger sprinter last month to be delivered in October. My dealer had told me I had to wait for 2023 but Last month got called because he secured an extra 22 allocation. My perception is they seem to be doing better managing the number of allocations/orders vs number of actual builds.

I went with that option because I’d rather not wait a year for delivery and it’s not an option to wait more than a year.
What did that end up costing you? The least expensive 4x4 build I was able to find in the country was $81,000.

People on this forum crack me up talking about how "Ford will NOT be getting my business in the future" and the reality is that's fine it's just going to cost you about $20,000 to show Ford that you found an alternate AWD high roof van.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Are Sprinters delayed too? Any other vehicles I'm not thinking about? What are you all doing?
Do you need AWD? The lowest mark up I've personally seen on a RWD sprinter is $3,000 and that was for a gas engine in Oxnard, CA. You're looking at $53,000 before tax, tag, title, etc.

There's a dealer in Knoxville, TN that will order you a 22' RWD sprinter for $8500 over MSRP and a 4x4 for $12,000 over MSRP.

I'm sure that there are MB dealers that may be charging less of a mark up on vans in the northeast but I haven't looked there. You can hop on the sprinter forum and take a look at the conversation regarding their mark ups.

You can always get a Promaster if you don't need AWD but then you have to drive a Promaster everywhere you go....

·
Registered
13 Posts
If they cancel my order (dealer still saying it hasn't been canceled yet), I was planning to be done with Ford for life. I was going to go order a brand new Tundra since they now have a 3.5 Turbo, and was going to buy a 14' aluminum utility trailer and do my build out in that. BUT its a first year of a model refresh and they are having a ton of issue, mainly with the turbos (google tundra wastegate). So there goes that plan. Just started looking into the Promaster but not really excited about that. Might just end up with an f-150 again...

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
There seems to be a lot of low mileage campervans for around $50k. Is AWD a MUST, or is it a wish? 99.9% of the time full size vans are never in a situation where AWD is needed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not sure yet. The van purchase for us was part of a downsizing plan from a 25' Class C motorhome to a customized van or Class B RV that we could use as a touring vehicle with the dog along (air conditioned parking & overnights in van possible, small refrigerator but no need for kitchen) and an everyday driver. We have a teardrop camper we would tow when we wanted to camp. So now we are looking at Class Bs, mostly on the Promaster Chassis or ordering a new empty Promaster. We do have a bit of a time constraint for purchasing an empty van: we are getting less capable as we age and our son, who is close by and would help with any build, might move further away before we could get our hands on one.

That said, we do like the Transits and would probably be willing to reorder IF there is price protection (not a rebate) offered by Ford to customers who had orders in the system.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Plan B for me is to follow-up with Ford as much as I can, including spamming their social media, and if that doesn't work spend a couple bucks consulting with a lawyer and getting them to send a letter to Ford.

I'd do small claims in Michigan ($6500 cap?) if that would work, but hopefully it wouldn't come to that.

If you dig deep on this forum you will find at least one buyer (it may have been more, I didn't make note of author names) who had their order cancelled in a prior year (2020?, maybe 2021) and got priority scheduling and price protection. Most responders here claimed BS, but I'd have no reason to not believe the poster.

Plan B definitely does not include buying a Sprinter (lack of dealer network), or Promaster. I've been driving a HR Transit for going on two years and I like it enough I will stick with the brand ... but have my limits on what I'll pay to upgrade to a 2022/2023.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What did that end up costing you? The least expensive 4x4 build I was able to find in the country was $81,000.

People on this forum crack me up talking about how "Ford will NOT be getting my business in the future" and the reality is that's fine it's just going to cost you about $20,000 to show Ford that you found an alternate AWD high roof van.
Contract is for MSRP. About $78500 plus tax. I think my ideal Transit was around $72-75k. If I could get either one today I’d probably choose the transit, but I can’t. As far as I can tell the transit would come a year or more later, if at all.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Now that my 2022 order is surely going to be canceled (PSD, SYNC4, etc), what should my plan B be?
We've already waited since last September on this one and we can't wait another year for a 2023. We need a vehicle within the next two months max.
Finding a used Transit would be a letdown compared to the build we were going to get for somewhere around the same price.
I am being patient.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Contract is for MSRP. About $78500 plus tax. I think my ideal Transit was around $72-75k. If I could get either one today I’d probably choose the transit, but I can’t. As far as I can tell the transit would come a year or more later, if at all.
I think the Sprinter is a far, far superior van. If I could get a 2022 Sprinter for MSRP I would. That's amazing that you're only paying MSRP.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Luckily we haven't sold (or listed out 2019 MR for sale) yet. So we still have that. I'm planning to put an order in for a 23 with Ed. Hopefully Ford comes through with a rebate or I'll have to figure out how to hide a $6k difference from my wife. 😁

Reactions: tcnkla

·
Registered
61 Posts
The only viable alternative is the sprinter. And having owned a Mercedes before, I know better. The ProMaster is utter trash. Honestly I've never had any problem with buying used... The trouble is the prices they're getting for a used transit are often higher than a new one. Just can't swallow that pill. If the van doesn't come through I guess I'll just shelf this whole idea and buy a boat or something instead.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think the Sprinter is a far, far superior van. If I could get a 2022 Sprinter for MSRP I would. That's amazing that you're only paying MSRP.
It's not at all superior. I guess if you're an expeditor and you're going to be putting hundreds of thousands of miles on it in a short amount of time a sprinter could be considered better? Out on the freeway the diesel might pay off.... But the emissions control systems on the sprinters have turned out to be really embarrassing money pits. The sprinter has become a relatively unreliable vehicle.
For the purposes of a camper van I think the sprinter is actually pretty **** inferior.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The only viable alternative is the sprinter. And having owned a Mercedes before, I know better. The ProMaster is utter trash. Honestly I've never had any problem with buying used... The trouble is the prices they're getting for a used transit are often higher than a new one. Just can't swallow that pill. If the van doesn't come through I guess I'll just shelf this whole idea and buy a boat or something instead.
We’re opting for a Promaster b/c a Transit is just too much with the 23 price increase and way too far out. The 2021+ seem to be far better over the previous models. Seems similar to how Transits stepped up in 2020

·
Registered
2022? HI ROOF, EXT AWD
17 Posts
Plan B

Wondering if I should reorder a 2023. If yes, I will carefully look at the options I pick and try to minimize the electronic stuff. I am also contemplating a used cargo van. If I forgo the AWD there are many options. I seriously do not believe AWD is something I will need, it is more for future resale value than need. I do not plan on using the van in the winter but I would be nice to have just in case.
Also, I have about 20 K$ worth of equipment siting in my shop ready to be installed in a van. I believe I need a reasonable good van to make it worth the investment. The question is an outfitted RWD difficult van to move? Not planning on a Sprinter or Promaster.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think I'm basically f'd. I need a 12 passenger van because I have a big family, I don't want to pay new prices for a used van with a bunch of miles on it, and I would very, very much like to have AWD because I have a long uphill gravel driveway on a hilly, winding country road that is not a good drive in snow. And back to that big family, I want to be able to get out in case of emergency. With no competition, I'm pretty much forced to throw down an extra 6k on a 2023, all while the value of my current family vehicle continues going down, and it's a 2013 minivan with 125k miles, so it's not too high to start with. Assuming it doesn't break down in the next year I'm waiting.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts