Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on buying 5 new tires ( 235 / 70 / 16 ).
Mounted and balanced

What brand , size and price did you buy ?
Thanks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
225/75 Michelin Cross Climate bought a cheap one for the spare since I never rotate it. I paid $814 for the 4 mounted and balanced.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm really looking forward to somebody posting about some C rated tires because that is what I want to buy , i don't do any heavy hauling , also I don't plan to add any weight.
It seems most the tires in the stock tire size are around 120 load index and I noticed them tires are way higher price too .
I'm thinking for my 6800# van a tire load index of 100 thru 106 is what i'm aiming for.

·
Registered
73 Posts
$1,388.39 including sales tax, tire disposal, environmental fees, etc. That was for 7 tires (changed tire size so needed to change out the spare as well).

Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 LT215/85R16

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm really looking forward to somebody posting about some C rated tires because that is what I want to buy , i don't do any heavy hauling , also I don't plan to add any weight.
It seems most the tires in the stock tire size are around 120 load index and I noticed them tires are way higher price too .
I'm thinking for my 6800# van a tire load index of 100 thru 106 is what i'm aiming for.
Mine are directional and C rated 121 rating I think you're looking for E rated which have a lower rating.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine are directional and C rated 121 rating I think you're looking for E rated which have a lower rating.
I believe the E rating is a heavier duty tire then a C. , I used to have a 1 ton truck and it required heavy duty E rated tires , knowing that made me assume that C rated was a light duty tire , apparently a C rated tire is still pretty heavy duty but not as heavy duty as a E rated , so as far as those ratings are concerned I don't know what rating I would need , probably lower then a C , a little confusing as I found out there's a C1 rating C2 and a E1 and E2. , lol

Seems it's easier to go by the load index number on the tire and then just look at chart to see how much weight it can handle.Tire load info

·
Registered
126 Posts
I believe the E rating is a heavier duty tire then a C. , I used to have a 1 ton truck and it required heavy duty E rated tires , knowing that made me assume that C rated was a light duty tire , apparently a C rated tire is still pretty heavy duty but not as heavy duty as a E rated , so as far as those ratings are concerned I don't know what rating I would need , probably lower then a C , a little confusing as I found out there's a C1 rating C2 and a E1 and E2. , lol

Seems it's easier to go by the load index number on the tire and then just look at chart to see how much weight it can handle.Tire load info
The C (EURO metric) on mine refers to Commercial you can get LT E rated tires with a lower load rating than C commercial. I had E rated tires on all my previous Ford vans.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I just got four new Transit van Continental takeoffs for $300 mounted and balanced. Hope they last longer than my original Hankooks which was 28K.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I just got four new Transit van Continental takeoffs for $300 mounted and balanced. Hope they last longer than my original Hankooks which was 28K.
If you only got 28k on the Hankooks, you'll probably get 10k out of the Contis.
I think I swapped out the Kooks at 60-65k last Fall before a trip through snow country (could have gone another 10k here in CA). I bought a take-off set of Contis for $100, there's about 10k on them and they look like they've been on for 30k. I drive about 20k a year, so it looks like they'll be toast by next Fall (40k miles). And I'm a guy who usually gets at least 70k out of a set of tires before they hit the wear mark.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
The C (EURO metric) on mine refers to Commercial you can get LT E rated tires with a lower load rating than C commercial. I had E rated tires on all my previous Ford vans.
From the little I know, C is a Euro rating, and E is Merikun for 10-ply truck tires. You want to get E rated tires for your van, unless it's a LR 130 that never sees any loads.

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
If you only got 28k on the Hankooks, you'll probably get 10k out of the Contis..
fwiw and off topic, These are wifey's Contis at almost 30k. I look forward to enough wear so I can justify selecting a tire of my choice later.

PS: and wifey is much harder on tires and brakes than me.

·
Registered
126 Posts
From the little I know, C is a Euro rating, and E is Merikun for 10-ply truck tires. You want to get E rated tires for your van, unless it's a LR 130 that never sees any loads.
The Agilis Cross Climate in a LT225/75/16 E has a max load of 2680 while the 225/75/16 C has a max load of 3195.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
The Agilis Cross Climate in a LT225/75/16 E has a max load of 2680 while the 225/75/16 C has a max load of 3195.
Yep, the C and E are just different methods/references, they are not from the same regulating agency; apples and oranges. The max load is what counts, not the letter designation.

Reactions: asdrew

·
Registered
227 Posts
I paid $829.80 for 4 BFG KO2 tires, 245/75R16, mounted and balanced, including a bit of trimming on the front.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fwiw , my Hankooks have 40,000 miles on them , I rotated them about a year ago and so now the bald tires are on the rear , I could probably make it another 10,000 miles before the fronts are bald.
So if I squeeze pretty much all of the life out of the Hankooks it looks like I could get 50,000 miles out of them
Probably best to just swap them out now at 40,000 miles esp with winter coming.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
That's what I did. Timing of snow trip required replacing sooner than needed.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got a quote from Big O tires today
5 Cooper Evolution HT
235 70 16
Mounted and balanced
$770

I think i'll get $15 back for a tire disposal fee because i'm keeping 3 of my tires , going to sell them on Craigslist for $100

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
235/70R16 106T

The tires are rated for 2094# per tire
So 8376# for the set
My van is never over 7000# even hen loaded.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts