Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. Sorry for the strange title but hopefully it gets some attention. I’m in a bit of a predicament with a transit I bought used 1 year ago as my main vehicle. It is a t250 2016 ecoboost medium roof lwb with a quigley 4x4 conversion and around 134k miles. I love this van and my plan was to build it out as a weekend getaway/beach vehicle for the family. The problem is that I started smelling a burning coolant smell by the drivers side under the hood and the driver wheel well. No puddle on the ground and I tried a coolant dye with no luck. I did post about this problem a few weeks back and members have been great offering advice on where to look for the leak. I now have it at a second mechanic (first guy couldn’t find a leak) and he pressure tested it. He said that he went to start it this morning after yesterday’s pressure test it was misfiring. He thinks it could be a slow coolant leak into a cylinder. It took about 4 months for me to notice my coolant level drop so it is very slow leak. what would you guys do?

1) finish building it out and drive it until it get bad (I should add that I drive my 3 little girls daily in it)
2) trade in for a new vehicle (wife wants to give me hers and get new. I don’t like this option lol)
3) sell it privately (being upfront about the problem)

how much would a repair cost worst case scenario if it is leaking into the cylinder?

thank you,
chris

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the input everyone. I’m not against fixing things and I definitely don’t want to give up a 4x4 van. It is the coolest vehicle that I have ever owned. I just hate spending money and not getting to the root of the problem. I’m probably gonna keep driving until the problem gets worse. I just don’t want to be 3 miles down a sandy beach when it breaks down lol. Let’s assume worst case and I need an engine rebuild or replacement. Any ideas what something like that costs? I’m concerned it would be ridiculous considering the mechanic working on it also quoted me $1850 for noise the rear differential makes when driving and the whirring noise when turning.

and to answer an earlier question. I’m located in Long Island ny. About midway between Manhattan and montauk.

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mechanic didn’t feel the need to check exhaust gases. He said that he couldn’t smell it in the coolant with his nose. I’m not sure how but he said very small head gasket leaks can sometimes leak coolant into the head but not the gases into coolant. I would think it would be the other way around. Gas molecules are smaller and I would think pressure is higher in the cylinder compared to the coolant system. I ordered a tester from Amazon and will give an update tomorrow evening.

He was concerned Because the engine randomly shakes a little rough when he restarted after to pressure test. He said that it was misfiring but went away after about 30 seconds. He thought coolant was forced into the cylinder during the two pressure tests he did. Strange thing was it didn’t show any codes.

any thoughts appreciated and thanks again to all of the helpful people on this forum.

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also, does anyone know what temperature range my coolant should be between. On hot days with ac running I’m around 205 on highway and fluctuate between 195 to 212 around town. It hits 215-220 backing up my steep driveway

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Okay. I did the coolant exhaust gas tester twice with car running around 200 degrees. Liquid stayed blue indicating no gases in coolant. I also sucked in exhaust by the tailpipe to make sure the tester was working properly and it was. I just spent around 30 min with a uv light trying to spot the dye I put in the coolant. I looked everywhere I possibly could and didn’t see a thing. This is very strange. The smell is most notable behind driver head area but I can also smell it very strong when I’m at a drive up atm or something. What do I do next? Should I go to an ENT and have him check my nose for antifreeze leaks lol? This is crazy

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I would like someone as good as med tec67 from YouTube but he is no where near NY. That guy really knows his stuff. If anyone knows a true transit mechanic in Long Island NY please share your recommendation

1 - 18 of 18 Posts