Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Instead of carpeting, which as gotdiesel? mentioned, may not bend right around corners, how about mouse-fur-like fabric in whatever color is closest? This stuff is like the headliner fabric.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think he must have been joking. I agree it would not cover the corner and wrap around well, it would also likely not stretch so I imagine it would wrinkle. I will likely use a stretch carpeting, it's cheap, easy, durable and looks good. If not bondo I just need a find a good way to cover holes and depressions.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Liked the idea, but not sure 6in wide would wrap the corner and cover both the exposed sides and @ 219$ for 5', yikes.
5'? The web page shows 60' for me.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Tolex (guitar cabinet covering material). Comes in hundreds of textures/colors/styles. Extremely durable. Goes on around compound curves. Apply with contact adhesive (not that crappy 3M90).

Reactions: adhoc and guyv

·
Registered
19 Posts
I screwed/bolted 1/2” plywood to the interior circumference with 1/2” XPS between for insulation. Then glued and pinned 1/2 ply on the forward surfaces, again with 1/2 XPS for insulation. The 1/2” curves nicely to the contour on the sides, but there is a small gap on the top crossmember.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts

I'm going to use a 4 way stretchable carpeting, if I recall it's used for automotive purposes, maybe called trunk carpeting, but it has no backing and is very stretchable. What I'm going to attempt, is to use some sort of insulating peel and stick foil, and carpet over that, if that will work. My other thought is to fill in any depressions and voids or holes with bondo, then carpet directly on the metal over a smooth surface. For me working with bondo is easy and I'm familiar with it. I did my old econoline that way and it came out great. For my purposes the carpet is my finished product, it's a cargo van so the interior won't be finished with any cabinets etc. I'll also likely do the ceiling in a similar method.

·
Registered
105 Posts
View attachment 152524
I'm going to use a 4 way stretchable carpeting, if I recall it's used for automotive purposes, maybe called trunk carpeting, but it has no backing and is very stretchable. What I'm going to attempt, is to use some sort of insulating peel and stick foil, and carpet over that, if that will work. My other thought is to fill in any depressions and voids or holes with bondo, then carpet directly on the metal over a smooth surface. For me working with bondo is easy and I'm familiar with it. I did my old econoline that way and it came out great. For my purposes the carpet is my finished product, it's a cargo van so the interior won't be finished with any cabinets etc. I'll also likely do the ceiling in a similar method.
remember that sometimes those openings are there to allow access to wiring, plugs, bulbs etc. the other 2 in dents are where the grab handle mounts if its ever wanted in the future--threaded holes are already there. the holes are covered in my end result, but i still have access

21 - 32 of 32 Posts