Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm closing in on finishing my conversion and wonder what other people have done to make the ugly square metal frame around back doors look better. I'm talking about the frame here not the doors, as shown in the pictures.

I was thinking some 1/4 inch plywood with foam and fabric glue to it to cover it up, but was wondering what other people have done? Pictures would be helpful.

thanks in advance.

20210429_155305.jpg
20210429_155319.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I'm closing in on finishing my conversion and wonder what other people have done to make the ugly square metal frame around back doors look better. I'm talking about the frame here not the doors, as shown in the pictures.

I was thinking some 1/4 inch plywood with foam and fabric glue to it to cover it up, but was wondering what other people have done? Pictures would be helpful.

thanks in advance.

View attachment 152224 View attachment 152225
Carpet them!

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I built a wall out of wood with two ship portholes for windows, End of problem and much better insulated. The rear doors are only used for accessing the space under the bed. The portholes let the air blow across the head end of the queen bed and provide some security since both are only 15 inches in diameter

They no longer have the ship portholes I used for my rear windows in stock, 15 Inch round polished aluminum hinged portholes with locking dogs.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
3M rubber grip tape

Reactions: guyv

·
Registered
46 Posts
will the 3m rubber grip tape cause a bump in the carpeting? I doubt it but thought I would ask....

·
Registered
250 Posts

thanks in advance.

View attachment 152224 View attachment 152225

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
will the 3m rubber grip tape cause a bump in the carpeting? I doubt it but thought I would ask....
what carpeting? The rubber grip tape would cover the sheetmetal instead of carpet.

·
Registered
364 Posts
3M rubber grip tape

Ohhhh, thats genus, thanks!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I would advise going slowly on the carpeting idea. Mainly because you are talking about covering a complex shape with compound curves and the carpeting may not conform well without a lot of cutting and fitting. Did you watch the video that natecostello posted? That video is an example of the importance of being able to stretch the fabric around multiple curves. Carpeting is going to act somewhere between a sheet of rubber and a sheet of plywood. That is to say, it depends on the material and it may be really hard to work with, especially if it's your first attempt. Try a sample area with some removable contact cement and a piece of the material you would like to use. Select a part of the rear door that has the most complex combination of angles. If it doesn't work out, you haven't gone and bought a bunch of stuff you can't use. Also, I wouldn't bother trying to fill or cover the holes in the door frame. Unless you have to use a really thin fabric to get it to shape properly, you are never going to see the holes are there when you're done.

·
Registered
51 Posts
3M rubber grip tape

Liked the idea, but not sure 6in wide would wrap the corner and cover both the exposed sides and @ 219$ for 5', yikes.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts