Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2018 MR 130 Passenger XLT 3.7. Mods: Eaton Truetrac, Yukon 4.11, Cooper Discoverer AT3 245/70/16
260 Posts
If the fluid is clean and very full it can be hard to tell. Take the cap off and check. I highly doubt it’s actually empty, but if it is your brakes are probably not worth a lot.

· Registered
6,608 Posts
Should not need to take the cap off to check the level. . In fact, unless it is the lighting in the photo there is fluid up to the parting line in the reservoir. In fact best not to since the fluid is hygroscopic, also why you should always use brake fluid from a fresh sealed container. If opening the cap it's a good idea to clean off the area before opening, so no crap gets into the fluid.

Transit owners manual brake fluid page

FWIW, as your brakes wear, the fluid level will go down, since the pads will not retract as much and more fluid will be in the caliper pistons, so don't assume it's leaking. In fact, if you top it off as the brakes wear, then when you put new pads on then the fluid may go above max or overflow. However, never let the reservoir go the min mark, cuz then there is the risk that air will get into the master cylinder. Don't get brake fluid on your paint.

Good idea to bleed out the brake fluid at some reasonable interval. The OM calls for every 3 years.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the fluid is clean and very full it can be hard to tell. Take the cap off and check. I highly doubt it’s actually empty, but if it is your brakes are probably not worth a lot.
I'm guessing it's just clean and very full. the van has only 3000 miles and it just was at the dealership for an oil change.

does engine need to be cold in order to open that cap ?

· Registered
1,951 Posts
As everyone said, brake fluid. See how it says "DOT 4" on the cap? That is a "grade" of brake fluid, so that's how we all know just by looking at it.

As mentioned, you want everything you do with brake fluid to be scrupulously clean, plus it can harm other surfaces.

It almost looks like your fluid level might be exactly at the "equator" of your reservoir? Hard to tell. What if you park on a hill, does that line become "slanted"? (Or you could remove the cap and check most likely; though I have not done it on a Transit.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts