Ford Transit USA Forum banner

What is the difference between T-250 and T-350?

2638 47
getting ready to order a Hi-roof, EL Transit with EcoBoost and AWD. All the specs seem to be the same between the T-250 model and T-350 model, except GVWR. The 250 is rated for 9070 pound and the 350 is rated for 9500 pounds. All the data I am seeing on the web appear to indicate both vehicles weigh the same (same curb weight). I've even found out that the same leaf spring is used as replacement part for 150, 250, and 350.

So, what is different in the 350 model that gives it 430 pounds more payload capacity?
The price difference is $1250.
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Got any proof?
The Act made it illegal to camp on any state-owned property that was not designated for camping. A person can only be charged with violating this act if he or she was informed by an officer and failed to remove themselves and their belongings.

The term “camping” was given a specific definition to include erecting any kind of shelter, or other bedding, as well as the act of sleeping and the act of cooking. Just the act of sleeping on state-owned property qualifies as “camping”.

However, it now appears sleeping in any private vehicle on public land not approved for camping is illegal. As long as you placed your tent, RV or any other vehicle on publicly owned property with the intent of sleeping or cooking, it meets the law’s definition of “camping” and is therefore subject to the penalties.

Sources:

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Okay so this is the camping-on-public-land law that came about a couple of months ago. I read a few articles on this when it was new news, but didn't catch was the part specific to Rest Areas and 3 hours. I see where rest areas could fall under the rule maybe ..... but is that going to be a focus I wonder? I'm not talking about if you set up a tent on the grass and move in for a week; but rather if you pull in in your car, van or semi and fall asleep and snooze for 3 hours and 15 minutes. Or even 8 hours.

For example, from one of your links (emboldening mine).
If you need 24 hours notice before an arrest, how does that apply to staying/sleeping even 8 hours in a rest area, much less 3?

It's easy for me to pull into a rest area, have a snack and maybe check the weather etc. and then snooze a bit. That would easily put me over 3 hours is why your post caught my eye.

In pushing the expansion, Sen. Paul Bailey noted that no one has been convicted under that law and said he doesn't expect this one to be enforced much, either. Neither does Luke Eldridge, a man who has worked with homeless people in the city of Cookeville and supports Bailey's plan — in part because he hopes it will spur people who care about the homeless to work with him on long-term solutions.

The law requires that violators receive at least 24 hours notice before an arrest. The felony charge is punishable by up to six years in prison and the loss of voting rights.

"It's going to be up to prosecutors ... if they want to issue a felony," Bailey said. "But it's only going to come to that if people really don't want to move."

BTW, I'm not saying I'm for the law even if it doesn't affect rest areas. It does sound a bit heavy-handed. I just wanted clarification on the part that sounded extreme for someone traveling through as I might be doing. Not too keen on getting charged with a felony for taking a nap but reading more I just don't see that part of it (however if I'm just not seeing it please point me to it).

·
Registered
512 Posts
Okay so this is the camping-on-public-land law that came about a couple of months ago. I read a few articles on this when it was new news, but didn't catch was the part specific to Rest Areas and 3 hours. I see where rest areas could fall under the rule maybe ..... but is that going to be a focus I wonder? I'm not talking about if you set up a tent on the grass and move in for a week; but rather if you pull in in your car, van or semi and fall asleep and snooze for 3 hours and 15 minutes. Or even 8 hours.

For example, from one of your links (emboldening mine).
If you need 24 hours notice before an arrest, how does that apply to staying/sleeping even 8 hours in a rest area, much less 3?

It's easy for me to pull into a rest area, have a snack and maybe check the weather etc. and then snooze a bit. That would easily put me over 3 hours is why your post caught my eye.

In pushing the expansion, Sen. Paul Bailey noted that no one has been convicted under that law and said he doesn't expect this one to be enforced much, either. Neither does Luke Eldridge, a man who has worked with homeless people in the city of Cookeville and supports Bailey's plan — in part because he hopes it will spur people who care about the homeless to work with him on long-term solutions.

The law requires that violators receive at least 24 hours notice before an arrest. The felony charge is punishable by up to six years in prison and the loss of voting rights.

"It's going to be up to prosecutors ... if they want to issue a felony," Bailey said. "But it's only going to come to that if people really don't want to move."

BTW, I'm not saying I'm for the law even if it doesn't affect rest areas. It does sound a bit heavy-handed. I just wanted clarification on the part that sounded extreme for someone traveling through as I might be doing. Not too keen on getting charged with a felony for taking a nap but reading more I just don't see that part of it (however if I'm just not seeing it please point me to it).
What is new is the intent to make it a felony.

My understanding is the existing law in Tennesee has a 3 hour limit in rest stops.

It should always scare you when a government passes a law and then claims they are unlikely to enforce said law.

·
Registered
202 Posts
😀 Thanks Bob for posting those articles! Well I was considering TN as a state to possibly move to…I might rethink that one. I could see every rest area moving to metering/charging per hour just to rest there and take a pee.

·
Registered
214 Posts
That is not true. Even some of the lower rated E tires have higher weight ratings than the axles.

6,000 lbs rear GAWR on 350. LT 245/75r16 has 3095 lb max load per tire. Stock is 3195 lbs
If that were true, how could the vans legally be sold or driven? I mean, they come with E-rated tires don't they?

There is even a new T-350HD SWR for 2023 with around 500# more GVWR. At this point I would assume it will still use the 16" wheels and AFAIK E-rated tires.
My bad, I should have included this detail.
If you want to upsize to the largest tire that fits under an unmodified Transit (245/75/16), E series tires come up short for the T-350, but are good on the T-250. There are smaller E series that are rated to carry the weight.

But I guess we've moved on to why sleeping in a T-250 in a TN rest area is legal, but not in a T-350 😉

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Why has no one mentioned the "the loss of voting rights" part of the law. No opportunity to "secure" OUR democracy shall go unturned. The officials have unsurprisingly already admitted the law will be selectively prosecuted!

Don't worry about camping in your $$ vans, they are not interested in you. I suppose if you are still concerned the right bumper sticker(s) would work just fine as a camping pass. I wonder what the impact of what the state license plates are from might play?

Tennessee Jed ? :oops:

·
Registered
nothing yet, but planning on an EV van
244 Posts
It's too bad we have police states that affect our hobby.
Here's the latest: Tennessee just made it a felony to stay at a rest area for more than 3 hours.
not a problem, just get a self driving car to change spots or at least a setup that will move it forwards and backwards a few centimeters every couple of hours. depends on the wording of the law, how much does the vehicle have to move before it is no longer considered to be in the same spot?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
My bad, I should have included this detail.
If you want to upsize to the largest tire that fits under an unmodified Transit (245/75/16), E series tires come up short for the T-350, but are good on the T-250. There are smaller E series that are rated to carry the weight.
Aha, okay I was not aware of that and it's a key detail. Dang that's a bummer. I run E-Series tires now on my much heavier E-350 but it's a dually so I get to divide the rear axle weight by four.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
@square1
Could you clarify something for me?

I looked up the max rear axle weight rating for the 2022 Transit (SRW) and it shows as 6,000# (actually for all varieties, though I think the spring packs vary - I see 5,750# spring pack for T-350).

I looked up the ever popular BF Goodrich T/A KO2 in size 245/75 R16 and it lists max load as 3,042#. The 6000# rear axle weight rating on the T-350 ÷ 2 = 3,000#. So that doesn't seem to be the problem. Is it something else like the speed rating? (But then that would mean it would also not qualify for the T-250 or T-150 and you say it does and it's just the T-350 that's an issue.)

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Number

Hair Head Eye Violet Rectangle

·
Registered
214 Posts
@Vanaroo
My Go To (Firestone, but sells several brands) tire shop for more years than I care to think I've been buying tires told me he couldn't put on 245/75/16s. I made the same 3,042 x 2 > 6,000 pound axle rating argument. He was adamant his insurance company wouldn't cover the liability so he couldn't install that tire on the 350. I even went the route the tire is only rated ~ #150 less than the C tire and I'd never load my van that close to capacity (150 x 4 = 600 lbs total which spans the 250 - 350 difference). He said he couldn't risk the van being sold to somebody else, them loading to capacity, having a failure, and the insurance company hanging him out to dry for damages. Got exactly the same story from the alignment shop (who also sells tires, but not the brand I wanted) when I told him about the ordeal getting 245/75/16 E rated tires on the van. Then he guessed I got my tires installed at Tire Store X. I asked how he knew that? He said they're going to be sorry some day for doing that kind of 5h!t!
Don't know the answer to your question, just know 2 reputable stores turned down a $1200+ sale, and a 3rd agreed with them when I asked him about it.
My Go To had the paperwork all written up and set to go, when he entered the sale into the computer it got flagged.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Don't know if it helps, but this is what is on my 2022, 350 single rear wheel, 9500 gvwr:
Thanks @kenryan. So the only thing I can see on the KO2 in 245/75-16 that is possibly below rating is the speed rating is slightly lower. However, that should apply equally to T-150, T-250, and T-350. Speed vs. tire composition would not seem to be exclusive to the T-350. @square1 was saying that IF you get the T-350 you can't get the 245/75-16 tire size as it will be below ratings (citing it as a possible reason to go T-250 instead). I'm not seeing that and I'm looking at manufacturer specs.

Load rating is above what the axle rating is (check) even for the T-350. Speed rating is slightly lower which could be something but it would not only apply to the T-350. So I'm still not seeing anything that would cut out the T-350 but let the T-250 or T-150 "in" for this size tire.

If there is something I would like to know about it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Thanks @kenryan. So the only thing I can see on the KO2 in 245/75-16 that is possibly below rating is the speed rating is slightly lower. However, that should apply equally to T-150, T-250, and T-350. Speed vs. tire composition would not seem to be exclusive to the T-350. @square1 was saying that IF you get the T-350 you can't get the 245/75-16 tire size as it will be below ratings (citing it as a possible reason to go T-250 instead). I'm not seeing that and I'm looking at manufacturer specs.

Load rating is above what the axle rating is (check) even for the T-350. Speed rating is slightly lower which could be something but it would not only apply to the T-350. So I'm still not seeing anything that would cut out the T-350 but let the T-250 or T-150 "in" for this size tire.

If there is something I would like to know about it.
Vanaroo, what is your source for what tires are permitted for each Transit model? From memory, I think the owners manual specifies that the only acceptable tire size is the OEM size.

There are many posters on this forum who have installed other size tires, but they know (or should know) that they are effectively modifying the vehicle. At a minimum, a tire of a different diameter will affect the calibrations of the speedometer and odometer. Those that do change their tire size just accept this.

Reactions: square1

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
The shops won’t sell the E rated tires for any transit (150,250,350 all come with the exact same tires from the ford factory I believe) if the tires are lower rated than the the stock factory equipment. Doesn’t matter if it’s a 250 or 350, the problem will be the same. Despite the fact that the E rated tires (3042lbs x 2) is higher than the rear axle rating, and the speed rating is higher than the Transit can physically go. It makes no sense form a functional/engineering standpoint, but we live in sue-happy USA and logic/common sense is not what wins lawsuits, so shops cover their asses by only mounting tires rated as high as factory installed tires

some shops have good faith in people I guess, and mount them up. Or if you bring in wheels they’ll mount any tires you want if they’re not being installed on the vehicle right there by the shop

Reactions: Vanaroo and square1

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
@BobCollins,

If I mentioned a permit or permission I'm sorry. What I was trying to get the bottom of was @square1's assertion that there was an advantage to getting a T-150 or T-250 over a T-350 because you could get tires on either of those that would not meet the requirements of a T-350. I couldn't really see how the specs aligned with that specific exception, and was wondering what I was missing.

If I do get a Transit (which would be a T-350 SRW), I'm not so worried about what is "permitted" as I am about what high quality tires would meet the requirements in terms of load, plys, etc. I spend money on good tires because I hate tire problems (even worse on a dually or trailer!).

That said, I also don't let tire shops touch my vehicles (learned the hard way.... again and again 😫 ). It's a bit more work, but I bring them my wheels/tires only. Then there is only so much they can wreck. They don't drive my vehicle (I've had it lifted right into the roof beams), don't smoke and leave cigarette butts in my ashtray (yep, that happened), don't slop tire dressing all over my paint (yep), don't twist off the fake lugnuts on my simulators, and don't torque my lug nuts to 8,000# ft lbs. (There's more but you get the idea.)

Also gives me a chance to make sure I've got all the tools I need onboard. Every once in a while I find that one of my tire tools has migrated elsewhere and it's good to get it back where it belongs.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
People whine a lot when it is time to replace those dual rear tires, Some have even asked about getting Super Singles to replace them.
I don't know that I've whined, but it definitely does add up (just replaced mine a month ago, so it's fresh in my mind). Especially when they age out and you have to replace them even though they still "look newer." And tire problems are just that much worse, plus typically a heavier vehicle which can be more of a challenge if you do need a tow -- so there is definitely motivation to keep them fresh.

What I wonder about the Super Singles is.... do people then carry two spares? One spare Super Single and then the regular spare for the front? Or do you just hope the Super Singles don't have a problem? I'm sure on a semi or huge vehicle then two spares is no big deal; but it would be kind of a lot to find room for on a smaller dually such as a T/E-350 or even 450.

·
Registered
512 Posts
@BobCollins,

If I mentioned a permit or permission I'm sorry. What I was trying to get the bottom of was @square1's assertion that there was an advantage to getting a T-150 or T-250 over a T-350 because you could get tires on either of those that would not meet the requirements of a T-350. I couldn't really see how the specs aligned with that specific exception, and was wondering what I was missing.

If I do get a Transit (which would be a T-350 SRW), I'm not so worried about what is "permitted" as I am about what high quality tires would meet the requirements in terms of load, plys, etc. I spend money on good tires because I hate tire problems (even worse on a dually or trailer!).

That said, I also don't let tire shops touch my vehicles (learned the hard way.... again and again 😫 ). It's a bit more work, but I bring them my wheels/tires only. Then there is only so much they can wreck. They don't drive my vehicle (I've had it lifted right into the roof beams), don't smoke and leave cigarette butts in my ashtray (yep, that happened), don't slop tire dressing all over my paint (yep), don't twist off the fake lugnuts on my simulators, and don't torque my lug nuts to 8,000# ft lbs. (There's more but you get the idea.)

Also gives me a chance to make sure I've got all the tools I need onboard. Every once in a while I find that one of my tire tools has migrated elsewhere and it's good to get it back where it belongs.
There have been many threads here discussing the differences between the T250 and the T350. This is the first discussion I've seen that included tire sizes. I could research it, but I doubt there is a difference between the two on tire sizes.

As you can see from my signature, I chose the T350. For me, the upside is the higher legal GVWR, the downside was the extra $1000. I have not heard of conclusive evidence that there are technical differences, other than possibly stiffer rear springs.

For me, I will get tires of the size specified by Ford. While I have not had the negative experiences with tire shops you have had, I will take your comments into consideration for the future.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts