Ford Transit USA Forum banner

What is the difference between T-250 and T-350?

2606 47
getting ready to order a Hi-roof, EL Transit with EcoBoost and AWD. All the specs seem to be the same between the T-250 model and T-350 model, except GVWR. The 250 is rated for 9070 pound and the 350 is rated for 9500 pounds. All the data I am seeing on the web appear to indicate both vehicles weigh the same (same curb weight). I've even found out that the same leaf spring is used as replacement part for 150, 250, and 350.

So, what is different in the 350 model that gives it 430 pounds more payload capacity?
The price difference is $1250.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you.
I was aware of the higher GVWR for 350. You may be right about the "different leaf springs" on the 350; however, what is throwing me off is that the replacement part (leaf springs) appears to be the same for all three Transit models (150, 250, 350):

2022 Ford Transit-350 PTV Extended Cargo Van 3.5L EcoBoost V6 A/T AWD Leaf Spring. SPRING - REAR. Leaf Spring. W - LK4Z5560B | Sheehy Ford Lincoln, Richmond VA

And I would expect the curb weight for the 350 to be higher, if it has stronger (stiffer?) leaf springs or other parts to enable it to haul 430 more pounds.

The dealerships don't seem to know the difference between the two models!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Thank you.
I was aware of the higher GVWR for 350. You may be right about the "different leaf springs" on the 350; however, what is throwing me off is that the replacement part (leaf springs) appears to be the same for all three Transit models (150, 250, 350):

2022 Ford Transit-350 PTV Extended Cargo Van 3.5L EcoBoost V6 A/T AWD Leaf Spring. SPRING - REAR. Leaf Spring. W - LK4Z5560B | Sheehy Ford Lincoln, Richmond VA

And I would expect the curb weight for the 350 to be higher, if it has stronger (stiffer?) leaf springs or other parts to enable it to haul 430 more pounds.

The dealerships don't seem to know the difference between the two models!
There is a thread on the forum about the leaf springs and someone finally found the different part numbers. You aren't the first person to look it up and see the same part numbers.

·
Super Moderator
4,552 Posts
What is the difference between T-250 and T-350?

The simple [email protected]$$ answer is 100.
The clear answer is the $ difference and official rating.
Beyond that it is unclear what is actually different, hence even the dealerships confusion.

back when I was active in the Super Duty Forums, there was similar confusion between F250 and F350.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a thread on the forum about the leaf springs and someone finally found the different part numbers. You aren't the first person to look it up and see the same part numbers.
Thank you. I've been searching for that thread for the hour and have not found it. If you happen to know its name or info and can direct me to it, I'd be grateful. thanks again for the feedback.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It could be the difference of getting insurance or not. Most 350s have been reported as strictly commercial, for insurance purpose, and some underwriters won't write a policy on those. I'd check with your carrier before making a decision.
I really don't think the added payload is worth the hassle.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I think the cargo van VIN is what causes issues, not 250 vs 350.

now if you go 250 vs 350HD (Dually, particular the one over 10,000lbs GVWR- then insurance and having it considered non-commercial is a whole nother ballgame.

the basic consensus is the 350 and 250 are identical, besides different rear leaf springs (I forget if the 350 simply has an extra leaf added to the 250 arrangement, or if it has a completely different set of leaf springs that just have a higher spring rate). Higher spring rate does not necessarily mean heavier or bigger springs, just the the metal is stiffer or has more preload.

personally, I’d just get the 250 and then invest in the mini-leaf spring pack from van compass and/or rear airbags if you have a heavy build.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
In my State you have to buy Commercial license plates for the 250 and 350 cargo vans, I almost wish I would have bought the 150 and saved myself some money on plates, The 150 is considered non commercial.
From what I have read this varies greatly from state to state.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
That is not true. Even some of the lower rated E tires have higher weight ratings than the axles.

6,000 lbs rear GAWR on 350. LT 245/75r16 has 3095 lb max load per tire. Stock is 3195 lbs

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Tires too.
The max capacity E rated tire will not legally carry the T350. Comes up something like 80 pounds per tire short.
If that were true, how could the vans legally be sold or driven? I mean, they come with E-rated tires don't they?

There is even a new T-350HD SWR for 2023 with around 500# more GVWR. At this point I would assume it will still use the 16" wheels and AFAIK E-rated tires.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If that were true, how could the vans legally be sold or driven? I mean, they come with E-rated tires don't they?

There is even a new T-350HD SWR for 2023 with around 500# more GVWR. At this point I would assume it will still use the 16" wheels and AFAIK E-rated tires.
They come with C-type tires. You get a different rear spring and a paper trail to back up the extra weight capacity for legal reasons if you need a 350 vs a 250.

·
Registered
512 Posts
It's too bad we have police states that affect our hobby.
Here's the latest: Tennessee just made it a felony to stay at a rest area for more than 3 hours.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Tennessee just made it a felony to stay at a rest area for more than 3 hours.
Geez. Guess there will either be a lot of new felons, or a lot (more) people falling asleep at the wheel.

I could kind of see it if they made it 8 or 10 hours. No-one loves to cruise into rest area and find people living there and you feel like you are encroaching on their home turf. But 3 hours?

I guess the truck side will be pretty empty; those drivers don't tend to stop for 2 hours 45 minutes --- nope, they stop and get a night's sleep.

Edited to add: Do you have a link? The rest area new law didn't pop up for me (I have read where they are restricting camping on public property; but this sounds different).

·
Registered
512 Posts
Geez. Guess there will either be a lot of new felons, or a lot (more) people falling asleep at the wheel.

I could kind of see it if they made it 8 or 10 hours. No-one loves to cruise into rest area and find people living there and you feel like you are encroaching on their home turf. But 3 hours?

I guess the truck side will be pretty empty; those drivers don't tend to stop for 2 hours 45 minutes --- nope, they stop and get a night's sleep.

Edited to add: Do you have a link? The rest area new law didn't pop up for me (I have read where they are restricting camping on public property; but this sounds different).
This is likely aimed at the homeless. Maybe we should do something about housing?

Either way, their overly broad law to punish the homeless—for being homeless—also ensnares vanlifers and RVers on their way between camping locations. This is not the first law like this, though most I have heard of are more local than state level.

There would be simple ways to address the problem of abusing rest areas. As you say, 8-10 hours max is one. Another would be to require all belongings to stay in the vehicle while staying. But no, the lazy politicians hit all of us with a big hammer.

And a felony? As in required jail time?

·
Registered
184 Posts
This is likely aimed at the homeless. Maybe we should do something about housing?

Either way, their overly broad law to punish the homeless—for being homeless—also ensnares vanlifers and RVers on their way between camping locations. This is not the first law like this, though most I have heard of are more local than state level.

There would be simple ways to address the problem of abusing rest areas. As you say, 8-10 hours max is one. Another would be to require all belongings to stay in the vehicle while staying. But no, the lazy politicians hit all of us with a big hammer.

And a felony? As in required jail time?
Truckers are required by law to rest. I hope law requres more than 3 hours for those long haul truckers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's too bad we have police states that affect our hobby.
Here's the latest: Tennessee just made it a felony to stay at a rest area for more than 3 hours.
My reading of the law is the 3 hour stopwatch starts from the time a cop tells you to move along so it's not quite as bad as you make it seem. I still think making it a felony is over the top though.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts