Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of curiosity I was browsing the Sprinter forums and I happened to come across these:

Sprinter-Forum - View Single Post - Dealer vs Independent Shop (Sprinter Service)

Sprinter-Forum - View Single Post - Sprinter sales vs. Transit sales thread: Transit may have trouble outselling Sprinter

I wonder if any current Ford owners here can vouch for the above. Exactly how much of the above is commonplace? How can we gauge this using current E-series service? Would the same level and manner of service apply to both the current E-series and Transit?

·
Registered
539 Posts
I think it would be a good idea to find an independent shop to take your vehicle to, some of the really skilled techs are in those all raved about independent shops.

·
Registered
597 Posts
The sprinter-source crowd seems very petty for a bunch of fancy German van owners... can't buy class I suppose. They are so defensive about the availability of products that are potentially better than the Sprinter being sold in NA.

As I've said before, we won't have a good fight on our hands until the new-new Sprinters are released. Still, I wouldn't trust them not to rust out.

It's all kind of amusing to me.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
the 2014+ Sprinters bodies are now made entirely of galvanized steel. It's in their own documentation as a 'feature'.

I'd wager that a new Transit will rust quicker than a new Sprinter...
I'll take that bet too, in a heartbeat.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
I can't see anything on the Transit costing a fortune to replace out of warranty including the transmission and engine. Try that on a Sprinter...
Correct. At my ride & drive event last year, they had a comparison parts cost display, Transit, GM vans & Sprinter, which after I got home I verified the price differences that were shown.

There was no comparison in that the Sprinter's main wear replacement parts cost was sometimes double and triple+ the Transit's costs. Nothing was mentioned of the driveline parts costs, but we can all imagine those...:eek:

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'll take that bet.
I'll take that bet too, in a heartbeat.
Deal!

Check with my in 5 years, and I will give you an update between our 2014 Sprinter and 2015 Transit after they have taken a beating.

One thing I can say with confidence right now, based on our sprinter experience, and seeing Transits at the dealer....

The Sprinter is "built and engineered" better. In 2014, they made significant improvements, such as using galvanized steel for the body panels along with liberal shots of rustproofing (can clearly see this on our vehicle), updated dash design, and improved features. I've always felt this way, and the recent poor design of the water airbox fiasco is yet more proof.

Also, I can tell you already in 3 years, the Sprinter won't cost us a dime to run (except for fuel costs, insurance, etc) as it comes with 3 years free maintenance and any repairs (if needed at all) will be covered under warranty. I'm certain there will be maintenance costs affiliated with the Transit in 3 years....

As for the Sprinter powertrain, the 2.1L 4cy/7 speed combo is simply a tried and tested unit. Its the same powertrain in use on the huge selling E class, the GLK class, and now the ML class. Due to mass production and wide acceptance, parts shouldnt be too outrageous and plentiful.

The fuel mileage of the Sprinter.... the Transit can only dream of getting. 'nuff said.

Right now, my tip of the hat goes to M-B, I still simply think its the better overall vehicle.... oh yeah.... and the airbox on our Sprinter doesnt leak and saturate the air filter...... :)

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Deal!

Check with my in 5 years, and I will give you an update between our 2014 Sprinter and 2015 Transit after they have taken a beating.

One thing I can say with confidence right now, based on our sprinter experience, and seeing Transits at the dealer....

The Sprinter is "built and engineered" better. In 2014, they made significant improvements, such as using galvanized steel for the body panels along with liberal shots of rustproofing (can clearly see this on our vehicle), updated dash design, and improved features. I've always felt this way, and the recent poor design of the water airbox fiasco is yet more proof.

Also, I can tell you already in 3 years, the Sprinter won't cost us a dime to run (except for fuel costs, insurance, etc) as it comes with 3 years free maintenance and any repairs (if needed at all) will be covered under warranty. I'm certain there will be maintenance costs affiliated with the Transit in 3 years....

As for the Sprinter powertrain, the 2.1L 4cy/7 speed combo is simply a tried and tested unit. Its the same powertrain in use on the huge selling E class, the GLK class, and now the ML class. Due to mass production and wide acceptance, parts shouldnt be too outrageous and plentiful.

The fuel mileage of the Sprinter.... the Transit can only dream of getting. 'nuff said.

Right now, my tip of the hat goes to M-B, I still simply think its the better overall vehicle.... oh yeah.... and the airbox on our Sprinter doesnt leak and saturate the air filter...... :)

Why in the world did you ever decide to buy a Transit? That poor Transit is doomed before it is even delivered. You have already decided that it is garbage before you even drive it.

My opinion after driving my 08 Sprinter for 6 1/2 years and 57,000 miles and the 15 Transit for two months and 3,000 miles is the opposite of what you have been expressing. Transit is a far better vehicle to drive. How reliable it is has yet to be proven. Do know the scheduled maintenance requirements are significantly less than a Sprinter. My Ecoboost will not get the miles/gallon of the Sprinter I4 but I will not have any problems with swirl valves, DEF systems or the diesel particulate filter. I will also enjoy the power available.

I was not impressed with the Sprinter engineering for many reasons.

Do hope you enjoy your Sprinter. As a Daimler stock owner your comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Citing the 2.1 in other MB models means very little. The engines are calibrated differently in those models, and they don't haul nearly as much weight as a Sprinter. If your carrying packing peanuts in your 2.1 Sprinter, maybe 160 hp and 240 tq is enough but frankly I wouldnt want any less power and torque than my 3.2 Transit has. The maintenance program for Sprinter is tempting, but you shouldn't have to do squat other than fluids and brakes in the first three years if your van is anything less than a total nightmare.

I love German cars. I really do. But for the sake of my sanity, and my wallet, I drive domestics these days.

·
Registered
360 Posts
1) Cause Im open minded. But not blinded by realities.

2) I didn't want the extra room of the Sprinter (it starts life as a mid roof), was really looking for something smaller, like a low roof Transit.

3) The M-B Metris isn't out soon enough, but I reckon, having not seen one yet, that its still slightly smaller than Im looking for.

4) We've had good success with Ford E series, and crossing fingers, this will carry over to the Transit line.

I have no doubt that I will enjoy the Transit, but in the back of my mind, the Sprinter has tremendous virtues as well that the Transit simply can't offer.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Deal!

Mercedes vehicles are great on paper. On the road they are overcomplicated junk. Why do think there are so many Sprinter refugees on this forum?

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Possibly because they haven't owned a Transit long enough......
Do not have to wait too long. Two months and 3000 miles answers that question very clearly. The Transit dances and the Sprinter lumbers. The driving and handling is considerably better than a Sprinter. Do expect Ford to be more reliable and if it needs service that is readily available around the corner.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
onetwo, you keep bringing up this so called air filter box fiasco. How many T1N & early NCV3 Sprinter fiascoes do you want to know about that actually broke the vehicles down and/or put them into an LHM? I know a couple of them because I suffered from them on our first Sprinter a 2008 and have RV friends that are still suffering from Sprinter fiascoes that they have to pay to get fixed.

Remember we're talking about a brand new vehicle here that some folks are having a non LHM or breakdown issue with that will be fixed if not already has been on current production vehicles and will be fixed under warranty by Ford on "older" Transits

·
Registered
360 Posts
onetwo, you keep bringing up this so called air filter box fiasco. How many T1N & early NCV3 Sprinter fiascoes do you want to know about that actually broke the vehicles down and/or put them into an LHM? I know a couple of them because I suffered from them on our first Sprinter a 2008 and have RV friends that are still suffering from Sprinter fiascoes that they have to pay to get fixed.

Remember we're talking about a brand new vehicle here that some folks are having a non LHM or breakdown issue with that will be fixed if not already has been on current production vehicles and will be fixed under warranty by Ford on "older" Transits
Appreciate your thoughts,

however, comparing a 7 year old sprinter to a 2015 Transit is kind of ridiculous.

7 years from now, we can compare a 2022 Sprinter vs a 2015 Transit, and I think you will realize how ridiculous this would be.

Comparing the much improved (it had significant upgrades and updates in 2014) Sprinter which had many years to improve vs a freshly designed Transit which issues are starting to crop up on these very forums is the more realistic approach.

I have no doubt Ford will improve the Transit in the coming years, but for now, it looks like they have work to do on the 2015 model.....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts