Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1941 - 1949 of 1949 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
... but looks like a PITA to try and deactivate especially with my limited skills?
If you removed the passenger seat enough to discover the air bag connection, then you have already demonstrated more than adequate ability to do this. Search this forum or the Internet for "Air Bag eliminators". You basically unplug the airbag wire under the seat and plug in one of these eliminators and you are done.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
View attachment 130766
wi
I had my first experience of getting my van stuck in some mud. Fortunately there was a nice spot to overnight it and I drove out early this morning before the mud could thaw. Perhaps I should buy some maxtrax or better tires?
Got open or limited slip differential? What tires?

Slow steady snow storm here, 18" - 22" expected by tomorrow afternoon. A challenge - can the LSD and oem Conti Vancos get out of the neighborhood to the plowed arterial street without the chains?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Got open or limited slip differential? What tires?

Slow steady snow storm here, 18" - 22" expected by tomorrow afternoon. A challenge - can the LSD and oem Conti Vancos get out of the neighborhood to the plowed arterial street without the chains?
Yes, I have limited slip and the OEM Conti Vancos with about 19k on them. I made sure to make it home before the heavy snow started.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,948
Just returned from a 1200 mile trip to Central Oregon and back from CA Bay Area.
Main topic: Vancos are fine in the snow

I5 was closed at Redding when we went North Wednesday, so we went around via 299 to Burney and then back to I5 on 89 (comes out at Shasta). 299 was bare except for the pass just before Burney. 89 had that loose slop that comes from people wearing chains on packed snow, 2-6" deep for almost 40 miles. Didn't slip even once, went 20-40mph. About a dozen cars in the ditch, a few on their side or tops (no one there). Stayed at the Hi-Lo in Weed that night. Good roads on 97 until the grade past Collier State Park, and then it was packed snow and ice all the way to Bend. Didn't slip once. Never had to put chains on. At my Mom's house, pioneered through 5-6" of snow on her side driveway, didn't slip. Took schadenfreude in two instances of 4x4s that tailgated us on 97 and passing us going too fast being in the ditch several miles later (there was no way I could pull them out so I didn't stop). When I lived in CO, the going rate to pull someone out of the ditch was $20 for CO plates, $50+ for out of State plates (extra for Texans).

I bought a set of 5k mile take-off Vancos last year or before, and put them on last week. I'm glad I did.

Also, saw lots of wildlife including a Patriotic Jesus FishBird eating a dead deer with a flock of Ravens, numerous hawks and egrets, about a dozen different kinds of birds at my Mom's house, along with deer, rabbit, squirrel (two kinds! and shouldn't they be hibernating by now?), coyote. On the way back I saw a River Otter hauled up on the canal ice along 97 between Klamath Falls and Worden. That's the first one I've seen in the wild.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi, I had the VanCompass 2.5" lift kit and Fox shocks installed by TT Motorsports, in north Phoenix. I was able to watch as they removed the original components and the start installing the kit. Glad they did it and not me!

They completed the install in one day and then had the alignment done later that evening. Very pleased with the results.

Having driven from 2 hours east of Toronto down to Phoenix, I have a very good before/after comparison since I have taken it on Interstates, washboard dirt roads and rocky BLM roads. I know without the lift kit, I would've dragged the XL rear going through washes and driveway entrances many times (as I was prior to the install).

For a bit more actual ground clearance, I will eventually get larger tires. That can wait since I may not need to.

Cheers, Steve

1941 - 1949 of 1949 Posts