Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1881 - 1900 of 1922 Posts

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,881
What is the dealer going to do?
1. Leave it parked in the back for 3-20 days until someone can look at it.
2. Contact you and say there is nothing they can do about it.
3. Suggest you find a body shop that can cut out the overlap; at your expense.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Successfully refinanced my 130MR (commercial vehicle) with Lightstream. Reducing the monthly payment was the goal as I'm keeping it longer than any plumber would but every lending institution backed out as soon as they input the VIN. I now understand the cargo-van, or non-wagon, is considered a commercial vehicle, like it or not. An unsecured loan is how I made it possible. Van is paid off, I get the title, and I'm currently 60 months out with an unsecured debt loan. Anybody know of any risk I have inadvertently undertaken?

Anybody have experience with 3M EC-1357 vs 3M-90 ?
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Scotch-Weld-Neoprene-High-Performance-Contact-Adhesive-EC-1357/?N=5002385+3292667546&preselect=3293786499&rt=rud
Aerospace manufacturers use it in aircraft interior builds. Non-immediate bonding and no off-gassing evidently. CA must love it.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Successfully refinanced my 130MR (commercial vehicle) with Lightstream. Reducing the monthly payment was the goal as I'm keeping it longer than any plumber would but every lending institution backed out as soon as they input the VIN. I now understand the cargo-van, or non-wagon, is considered a commercial vehicle, like it or not. An unsecured loan is how I made it possible. Van is paid off, I get the title, and I'm currently 60 months out with an unsecured debt loan. Anybody know of any risk I have inadvertently undertaken?

Anybody have experience with 3M EC-1357 vs 3M-90 ?
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Scotch-Weld-Neoprene-High-Performance-Contact-Adhesive-EC-1357/?N=5002385+3292667546&preselect=3293786499&rt=rud
Aerospace manufacturers use it in aircraft interior builds. Non-immediate bonding and no off-gassing evidently. CA must love it.
United Heritage Credit Union refinanced my cargo van, but I use it as a daily driver, not for a business.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,886
My finance for a commercial vehicle is through Ford itself. Kind of high at 8%, and I keep forgetting to refi at the lower rates offered in the mail almost weekly by other lenders.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Unitus Community Credit Union in Oregon picked up financing on mine for 5.5%. I nearly fell onto the showroom floor when the sales person told me that most banks won’t touch it as a “commercial vehicle” and direct financing through Ford was offered at 9%. While I could have gotten a comparable F150 for 3%. I Went through a dozen banks before finding Unitus (and Alaska Credit Union I believe) that would finance commercial vehicles.

I figured insuring it would be equally as shitty. I called Progressive and they informed me my policy would increase by $40... a year. After trading in a convertible mini copper weighing in at 63lbs wet, It cost me an additional $3.33 more a month to insure a 3.5 ton vehicle capable of towing 9000lbs of additional destruction. Less weight has leveled entire cities.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,888
It's always cheap to add another vehicle to your policy, because you're already paying for the coverage. All I had to do was inform my InsCo that I got a new vehicle and they added it online. I might be in a gray area, because the loan is for a commercial vehicle, but CA DMV upon inspection to register it said it was a personal vehicle. Probably because I had my rear seat installed.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Successfully refinanced my 130MR (commercial vehicle) with Lightstream.

Anybody have experience with 3M EC-1357 vs 3M-90 ?CA must love it.
I sell a California specific version of 3M-90. It works fine, many of my industrial customers prefer other spray glue that I carry because the spray pattern isn't great and 3M tends to be expensive simply because of the name.

I couldn't be happier with my MoFoCo financing at 0%/72 months... Still can't wait to get that ******* paid off, car payments suck!

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
For those looking for creative financing, how about making interest on your own van loan?

If you borrow from a 401K you pay yourself interest as the money goes back into the account.

Additional savings can be had because the van isn't used as collateral, so full coverage insurance isn't a requirement. You could avoid collision coverage and just go with comp and liability if your insurance agent will write it that way.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I sell a California specific version of 3M-90. It works fine, many of my industrial customers prefer other spray glue that I carry because the spray pattern isn't great and 3M tends to be expensive simply because of the name.

I couldn't be happier with my MoFoCo financing at 0%/72 months... Still can't wait to get that *** paid off, car payments suck!
G-thanks for the feedback. while I've used much '90 to get done what I have gotten done, it does set-up and using to secure a fabric not so much I'm guessing. Sure, 'blue-board' and ez-cool but that fabric is gonna stay in the wrong place if you don't get it right. Hence, my inquiry. Takes a little time to set up AND IS and interior adhesive as 3M states it is used in
aero-industry interiors, so inhalation-wise, gotta be OK I reckin'. Looking for user-experience with it. How much $$ is the CA version of 3m-90 anyway?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd hug my 18 148MR if I could. Traded off my 16Promaster 159EXT @ 140,xxx. At 100, xxx developed the "Pentastar Click" and had to replace cams, lifters rockers and pushrods. $4000, but after vigorous complaint to FCA, they warranted the parts and left me $1000, labor. At 135,xxx transmission handgrenaded to the tune of $5000. Did the math and found my Transit for $9000 off MSRP on Labor Day weekend. I'm all good, but the latest wrinkle, local Dodge dealer called me to tell me they had the estimate ready on my van, I'm still listed as owner in FCA computer by VIN. Seems the left cylinder head had to be replaced, to the tune of $4400!!! When i told the service writer I had traded it off, she said it was a good thing. Crazy part is the new owner actually paid $4400 to repair a 140,xxx engine, Could have completely replaced it for not much more. REALLY love my Transit now, even more!!

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'd hug my 18 148MR if I could. Traded off my 16Promaster 159EXT @ 140,xxx. At 100, xxx developed the "Pentastar Click" and had to replace cams, lifters rockers and pushrods. $4000, but after vigorous complaint to FCA, they warranted the parts and left me $1000, labor. At 135,xxx transmission handgrenaded to the tune of $5000. Did the math and found my Transit for $9000 off MSRP on Labor Day weekend. I'm all good, but the latest wrinkle, local Dodge dealer called me to tell me they had the estimate ready on my van, I'm still listed as owner in FCA computer by VIN. Seems the left cylinder head had to be replaced, to the tune of $4400!!! When i told the service writer I had traded it off, she said it was a good thing. Crazy part is the new owner actually paid $4400 to repair a 140,xxx engine, Could have completely replaced it for not much more. REALLY love my Transit now, even more!!
That's why you don't go to dealerships for repairs.

·
Registered
147 Posts

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Any chance you have pictures of what is inside the bumper or how you routed the wire? I heard there is a grommet pre-installed but haven’t seen the location in my limited searching.
The only contents of the bumper cover in that location is air. Nothing to see. Stick your hand under there.

The grommet is a rectangular piece of plastic roughly about 3x2" or so that allows access to the D-pillar. Cut an 'X' in it and slip your cord through.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Also, another builder who mounted it on the outside edge like that reported having problems with the plug being blown out of place while driving. You may want to rotate the connection so the tether to the cap is facing forward to minimize wind getting under it and wiggling the cap out.

Because of reading the report of the cap flapping, I opted for mounting it on the inside where I must now manage door interference when it is connected. Had I considered this rotate option I would have put mine on the outside too.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
I opted for mounting it on the inside where I must now manage door interference when it is connected. Had I considered this rotate option I would have put mine on the outside too.
Now you tell me:mad:

We could still put it on the outside - just leave the inner one as a unconnected hole filler.

1881 - 1900 of 1922 Posts