Ford Transit USA Forum banner
161 - 180 of 2832 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Too bad you didn't have a grenade to roll under the dufus car as you squeezed by her...just kidding, him.

Ha! Usually I do have a chance to look over and see if they are texting or talking or just old (oops I'm not PC)... but in reality this was so fast and serious I had no time to see if it was any of those or male or female.

Just glad that Mulligan responded and did exactly what I needed! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I updated the Sync 3 firmware to 2.2 and installed the new USB module. No issues, just takes a while to update the software. Restarted the van and it came right up showing 2.2 firmware and plugged my iphone in and Apple Carplay works just like it should..

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
Was your door sagging at all? I just noticed that the door on our van is toward the rear (slider) side of the door. When the door is open, we can easily lift it up a bit at that end, so I'm assuming it's just a lose bolt or something that's causing this. It isn't even my van, but my OCD is kicking in regardless lol.
It wasn't sagging, but the mounts are at their extreme limit just to get the door and body sheet metal to line up. If they were all at "middle" settings, the door would be sagging more than a half inch lower than markings on the body. The elevator screw on the back middle roller was loose, tightening the nut at the bottom reduced a bunch of clatter and movement.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It wasn't sagging, but the mounts are at their extreme limit just to get the door and body sheet metal to line up. If they were all at "middle" settings, the door would be sagging more than a half inch lower than markings on the body. The elevator screw on the back middle roller was loose, tightening the nut at the bottom reduced a bunch of clatter and movement.
Ahhh okay, makes sense. The weather is looking a bit better here tomorrow, so hopefully I can get the door properly aligned finally.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Generator placement?

Took Mulligan to the local RV supply place (in Davie FL). Had 2 guys looking it over, one who does the actual cutting and fitting. :)

He took pictures of the under carriage (oooohhhh Mulligan!) so clean after 2 months still!

But he doesn't think there is room for a generator.... he called out measurements but I didn't have the phone open to take note even with VM. I think he said something like 24" by 18" by maybe 10" deep???? behind the axle. He took a peek in front, as did another guy and they aren't sure anything would fit...and then there is the issue of servicing anything I do install (oil check etc.) I would have had the generator tied into my fuel tank.

So I have to go with shore power for ac on muggy FL days or coldest nights, and a large inverter for the usual day to day needs. He reminded me that a fan, no matter what brand (I listed the two "best" according to all here and elsewhere), it won't do any good for relief in the high mugginess of Florida. Yeah. I remember well.

I can still email the owner who supposedly stays on top of EVERYTHING about RVing...just in case something new has come up re generators.

I suspect I will buy another agm for my ham rig just so I leave Mulligan's set up alone, and maybe 2 inverters with at least one pure sine wave (but if I can get a bargain or the pricing isn't that big of a gap, 2 pure.)

Comments welcomed.:|

I removed most all of the "insulating" prodex, leaving the "sound managing" strips attached to the skin with the taping. The driver's side also has "pockets" of the prodex in addition to the sounding strips. I have to do the passenger side that way.

I've decide to USE that space for seasonal clothing. For the summer the winter coats sweaters, long johns :blush: and boots can be put there. Then the winter it can hold the swim gear, lt weight sleeveless etc clothes. I tried out several trays and sink bins just to see if I could utilize them as containers but only 1 fit one space and that was just "okay". Another scavanger hunt for a good solution. (Oh I do have ventilated clothing zip bags I use for my cashmere sweaters...they will fit perfectly!)

Ok. I've rambled long enough. Don't want to bore you guys.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
Maybe just get a Honda 2000 and put it on a swing-away rear hitch platform for those times you need it. It might also come in handy if the power goes out at home.
I wonder about putting a small generator on a roof rack?

Reactions: DrJean

·
Registered
760 Posts
Thought about all that... but I don't want anything on the roof right now... not a fan not an ac... and I'm not keen at all about making Mulligan any longer (he's 21').

And the local hams were talking with me about my desire to put a TEMPORARY portable antenna on a hitch receiver and they insist upon a permanent install idea...

BUT I will have to have both rear doors open to use the lift (boom arm) from the PS and swing the chair from the DS back.

I have both a hitch (wheelchair rack) carrier, and a small trailer (frame only, not built up) that I COULD use for everything I want... but I also have the backup camera to contend with.... and I just don't want any more length.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Took Mulligan to the local RV supply place (in Davie FL). Had 2 guys looking it over, one who does the actual cutting and fitting. :)

He took pictures of the under carriage (oooohhhh Mulligan!) so clean after 2 months still!

But he doesn't think there is room for a generator.... he called out measurements but I didn't have the phone open to take note even with VM. I think he said something like 24" by 18" by maybe 10" deep???? behind the axle. He took a peek in front, as did another guy and they aren't sure anything would fit...and then there is the issue of servicing anything I do install (oil check etc.) I would have had the generator tied into my fuel tank.

So I have to go with shore power for ac on muggy FL days or coldest nights, and a large inverter for the usual day to day needs. He reminded me that a fan, no matter what brand (I listed the two "best" according to all here and elsewhere), it won't do any good for relief in the high mugginess of Florida. Yeah. I remember well.

I can still email the owner who supposedly stays on top of EVERYTHING about RVing...just in case something new has come up re generators.

I suspect I will buy another agm for my ham rig just so I leave Mulligan's set up alone, and maybe 2 inverters with at least one pure sine wave (but if I can get a bargain or the pricing isn't that big of a gap, 2 pure.)

Comments welcomed.:|
i remembered reading this thread, one guy did it and another guy was trying. (generator) also Aluminess makes a setup for a rear mounted generator but you have to buy there 2000 dollar rear bumper to get it. http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/camper-vans-conversions/26458-generator-location.html

·
Registered
760 Posts
i remembered reading this thread, one guy did it and another guy was trying. (generator) also Aluminess makes a setup for a rear mounted generator but you have to buy there 2000 dollar rear bumper to get it. http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/camper-vans-conversions/26458-generator-location.html

Thanks I'll check it out (Onan was what the upfitter guy said I should buy...)

You KNOW I always try a search here... but when it comes up with 200 threads that MIGHT have "generator" or "placement" or "under carriage" in it and you don't know which has what... DOH!

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
Yeah I wondered about your egress, and assumed it was through the rear doors. You may need to explore an interior cabinet that vents to the outside if you really think you need a generator.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I found the Onan 2800 for under the chassis from that link.... and it's under floor attachments...on sale for a few more days... sigh... thinking I have to drive back up to the place to show them...but will put together an email for asap response... the cage was half price...til the 10th

Yeah, upfitter was talking to me about venting the exhaust of the generator IF one would fit... it has to be out the back as I have wrap around windows!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Started working on the face frame for the passenger side upper cabinet. Have to get some aluminum angle and some material for the bottom tomorrow.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
Drove it to pick up my dog from her sleep-over. My life accomplice had her birthday party last night, complete with appearance by Dr Rockso. Too much action and food spillage for my Rat Terrier to handle! Also previously used van to get 3-4 gallons of mid-shelf hard liquor and a token amount of Rolling Rock beer at Costco, as well as chili and chock full o' nuts coffee and other CBGB's theme paraphernalia.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Got some maple for the bottom of the passenger side upper cabinet at Home Depot. Checked the price of an 8' length of 1 ½" aluminum angle. They wanted $37.95. I went to Access Metals and got it for $13.

Bolted the aluminum to the roof struts.

161 - 180 of 2832 Posts