Ford Transit USA Forum banner
141 - 160 of 2832 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
more Mulligan

I put rear door pull handles on Mulligan today. Went to Harbor Freight on my way home from Physical Therapy looking for something on their website; didn't find that BUT I did find some other goodies.

See the suction cup small pulls I'm using now for the rear doors: http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/516369-post27.html

They also have long (18"?) magnet strips for $4.99 each (I think maybe 5) and I bought 4 of them! I also got a magnetized metal cup to hold those screws and things I know I don't want rolling around in the van as I continue to figure out what I am doing!

Mulligan also had his window "insulation" sheets of Prodex fitted for suction cups. I bought the kind with the little hooks on them too; now to find the right fabric (black of course) ... Somehow the hook idea will come in handy... to string them up or hang holiday lights or just more to grab onto when I'm tired and need to pull the shades off?

Also--- I took a longer look at the visor shelf over the cab area...and measured how much room I actually use to turn and sit and stand to enter cargo area... and I do believe there is a 12" square of unused space above each seat! :D Thinking about extending the "shelf" that much on either side..... but also need to buy netting for the area too, also at Joann's fabrics?

I bought a small motion detector light for when it's the middle of the night and I get up... or the dog..or a guest? It has the blue cover. Anyone know if this is a bright enough LED or sensitive enough for a long van?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I went outside and cranked him up for a few minutes and gave him a good walk around. Since I cannot drive him right now due to foot surgery, I can only look at him from the window and wish we were out somewhere....

·
Registered
356 Posts
Dr.j, if that motion detector is flat on the bottom and egg-shaped , it will pick up motion at the end of your van and will light it up.

Suitcase

Use coupons for discounts and free stuff at Harbor Freight.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Today completed applying the last of 200 sf Noico sound deadener on almost every panel that could be reached. Nicked up hands and tendonitis - happy it is OVER!

A couple suggestions for anyone who ever has to apply roll on tiles. A little sanding disk touch up on the handle of the roller often seen advertised makes it perfectly fit a piece of PCV as a handle extension. Also, the flat side of the common pry bar accomplishes great things where a roller won't fit. Heating it with a heat gun is all the better.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
Last thing I did today was my passenger side rear door. Discovered where your avatar came from. :eek:
that's the best one, I laugh every time I see it!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Adrian Steel Bulkhead Safety Barrier Installed

Drove to Tualitin, OR and had an Adrian Steel Bulkhead Safety Barrier for a High Roof Transit installed by Pacific Truck Colors. It took an hour and a half to get there in rush hour traffic (why do they call it "rush" hour?) and about an hour for the install.

I had the optional center door and plexiglas windows installed also. On the drive home, it was much quieter in the cab. My out of pocket cost was less than $950 and I am quite satisfied.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
WHOA! HEY!
I adjusted my slider to shut without slamming 5-6 times!
Turns out the dealer and their body shop aren't so bright. I decided to play with it myself and was able to adjust it to shut easily, however it sticks out a bit more at the rear bottom edge. I moved the strike bar out 1/8", and the top cab end out nearly 1/8" (limit of travel). Messed with the lower cab end but could not get the back end IN without the front edge hitting the passenger door.

Think of it as a vertical plane of a triangle pointing to the Left. That Left edge is a pivot, and the angle of the plane is adjusted via the top and bottom Right corners. Moving the top front OUT should also move the bottom rear IN, but it didn't move much. I might try again by loosening all the pivot/adjustments a bit at the same time and "racking" (framing terminology) it into place and then tightening it down.

One less thing to gripe about, I guess. :dodgy:

Reactions: DrJean

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
So has anyone tried adjusting the bumper up in the upper left corner of the door frame? Seems to me that would be the easiest fix for rattles and hard closing.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
So has anyone tried adjusting the bumper up in the upper left corner of the door frame? Seems to me that would be the easiest fix for rattles and hard closing.
Yes.
No.

·
Registered
89 Posts
WHOA! HEY!
Turns out the dealer and their body shop aren't so bright. I decided to play with it myself and was able to adjust it to shut easily, however it sticks out a bit more at the rear bottom edge. I moved the strike bar out 1/8", and the top cab end out nearly 1/8" (limit of travel). Messed with the lower cab end but could not get the back end IN without the front edge hitting the passenger door.

Think of it as a vertical plane of a triangle pointing to the Left. That Left edge is a pivot, and the angle of the plane is adjusted via the top and bottom Right corners. Moving the top front OUT should also move the bottom rear IN, but it didn't move much. I might try again by loosening all the pivot/adjustments a bit at the same time and "racking" (framing terminology) it into place and then tightening it down.

One less thing to gripe about, I guess. :dodgy:

When I worked at the Chevy assembly plant way back in the early '60s ALL body adjustments were made using a 2' piece of 2x4 and a ball peen hammer!!! It only took a few seconds and it worked. Push, shove, pry, and slam.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Took him for a drive to physical therapy. He was magnificent when some dufus pulled out from behind a disabled vehicle on the side of the road (thank you WAZE for warning me of the stopped car)... I had less than 1/2 mile... in the speed lane of 3 southbound turnpike lanes...

I disengaged the cruise, soft brake... and the car that pulled out was not speeding up... heavy traffic and at least one 18 wheeler in the lane next/behind me... rear view showed a long line of small cars driving 70 and not allowing enough space... I continued to brake and when I realized that wasn't going to work (cars behind, short distance) I blasted Mulligan's horn and went into the emergency lane and passed it.

I passed at maybe 46 mph.. and the car was going maybe 30 - 35! As I came back into the lane ahead of the slow car, the 18 wheeler that most certainly would have been involved in any accident gave me a song of kudos on his horn. Right decision... great Mulligan!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Today I had to jump start my Transit thanks to the fooking LED lights that don't know when to quit. Also, I bought the wood I will use for all the cosmetic trim when the time comes. Roughly 20 sf of 1/4" teak.

Yesterday wife and I picked out the vinyl topped cork flooring we will use eventually, except today wife suggesting maybe cork not worth the extra do re mi and we should look for straight vinyl instead. Also, abandoned the idea of building a mock framework as first step towards building a crash proof structure for the heavy stuff and instead cutting to the chase. Ordered 12 8' sticks of 15 series extruded aluminum and also cut all the angle brackets from the aluminum stock previously purchased. Cutting aluminum not much different than cutting wood but went about doing much more gingerly.

Working on a way to get thinsulate into the hollow space that surrounds the slider window. If it goes well will do something similar for the hollow space that surrounds the rear window - likely to be more difficult due to smaller space to fill.

I suspect some people spray in foam but I'm too chicken for that.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Took him for a drive to physical therapy. He was magnificent when some dufus pulled out from behind a disabled vehicle on the side of the road (thank you WAZE for warning me of the stopped car)... I had less than 1/2 mile... in the speed lane of 3 southbound turnpike lanes...

I disengaged the cruise, soft brake... and the car that pulled out was not speeding up... heavy traffic and at least one 18 wheeler in the lane next/behind me... rear view showed a long line of small cars driving 70 and not allowing enough space... I continued to brake and when I realized that wasn't going to work (cars behind, short distance) I blasted Mulligan's horn and went into the emergency lane and passed it.

I passed at maybe 46 mph.. and the car was going maybe 30 - 35! As I came back into the lane ahead of the slow car, the 18 wheeler that most certainly would have been involved in any accident gave me a song of kudos on his horn. Right decision... great Mulligan!
Too bad you didn't have a grenade to roll under the dufus car as you squeezed by her...just kidding, him.

·
Registered
12 Posts
WHOA! HEY!
Was your door sagging at all? I just noticed that the door on our van is toward the rear (slider) side of the door. When the door is open, we can easily lift it up a bit at that end, so I'm assuming it's just a lose bolt or something that's causing this. It isn't even my van, but my OCD is kicking in regardless lol.

Attachments

141 - 160 of 2832 Posts