Ford Transit USA Forum banner
121 - 140 of 2832 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
I installed the Yakima 52'' wind deflector/fairing to the factory cross bar just ahead of my solar array, then did a 300+ mile round trip at freeway speeds. No more wind noise at all. !!

MM

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
I'm sooooo happy with mine over my 2005 Sprinter, it's hard to express!
I'm glad it's an upgrade for you. Maybe mine is a lemon or something; poor build quality with body panels and doors not lining up and slider closing with difficulty, horrible mpg, turning radius of a semi, air filter falling apart from getting wet through the flawed airbox design, rust all over the bottom with only 9500 miles, headlights not lighting anything but a narrow beam forward.

BUT, it's the best thing out there for the money right now. I wouldn't buy a NEW sprinter. I'm just disappointed that it's a step backwards in owner enjoyment, despite being a dozen years newer than my old Sprinter. I realize that I changed brands, and that's probably why it's a step backwards, but according to Sprinter forums, the 2015 Sprinter is also a few steps backwards from the T1Ns. I realize the $20k I saved by buying my T250 over a Sprinter buys a lot of fuel, but it's just not very satisfying also having poorer handling and shoddy manufacturing quality. I'll get over it, and I'll trade this thing in as soon as something with reasonable mpg and quality comes on the market. Crossing fingers for Toyota or Hyundai entering the US market. Or maybe a hybrid Transit, but I'm wary of Ford.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Installed the inverter and tested it by hauling my coffee grinder out to the behemoth and grinding some beans. A milestone passed. I consider it essential to be able to grind some beans for my morning mug. Now I need to rehab my old grinder for permanent placement in the behemoth.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Picked up the tag as the temporary was set to expire. Will put it on when the conversion is finished.

Checked out the progress and noticed for the first time that the rear streetside window has the rear third blanked off by some kind of coating. Not sure what the purpose of that is. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Fabricated most of the murphy bed apparatus on the rear driver side.
Utilizes an Ikea Balkarp sofabed that I picked up when I bought the van for the camping trip home. Will fold up flat above the wheel well, and down to either a couch or bed. I'll do pics and a write-up at some point. Fits perfectly between rear wall and C-pillar.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
I'm sooooo happy with mine over my 2005 Sprinter, it's hard to express!
Compared to my 2008 Sprinter, the 2015 Transit is a far better vehicle. Handles much better, driving is a pleasure, rides better, goes faster and has about the same turning radius as the Sprinter. Sprinter had a 144" WB (47.6' turning radius) and Transit has a 148" WB (48' turning radius). If a smaller turning radius is desired, then a 130" WB Transit has a 42.9' turning radius.

For reference the 118" WB T1N Sprinter turning radius was 36.7', the 140" WB was 42' and the 158"WB was 47'. Wheelbase length does effect the turning radius.

Slider door is much easier to use, transmission is night and day better than Sprinter. I also no longer drive with the fear that van is going to quit.

Only negative is the lower mpg for the gas Transit compared to the diesel Sprinter. I am satisfied with that just to get rid of the diesel engine with all its reliability issues due to the emission controls.

Overall very satisfied with the vehicle. To get back on the post subject, I drove home for 6 hours yesterday and enjoyed the drive. Not very good mileage from a Ecoboost van with about 2000 lbs of conversion and load. 14 mpg at 70 mph 95% freeway (hand calculated). I do have a Maxxair fan and a 300 watt solar panel disturbing the air.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
I installed a discreet SPDT on/off/on switch for the cargo area lights.

On the passenger B pillar so it can be reached from either the slider or long reach from driver seat. Cut the switched ground (WH/BLU stripe) that activates the cargo lights, sent it through the switch, and added a constant ground to the other pole of the switch. Now I can turn off the lights, set them to activate as normal, or turn them on even after timer turns off.

I may change to DPDT switches later so I can have multiple switches that act as 3-way or 4-way switches. One switch is fine for now and probably ever.
Discovered that there IS a timer on the 12vdc POS for the cargo lights; much longer than the timer on the NEG WH/BLU wire.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This week I reinstalled my roof rack after having it powder coated blue to match Big Blue & installed 225/75r16 Toyo Open Road AT's and **** doe she look good!

Reactions: surly Bill

·
Registered
151 Posts
Nice switch install. We noticed our LED cargo lights stay on for a extended low power mode for about 20 min and then there will be 'flash' when they turn completely off. We are uninstalling them shortly. Did you locate the timer? Even with the lights uninstalled the timer would still keep the circuit open and draw a small amount of power.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Nice switch install. We noticed our LED cargo lights stay on for a extended low power mode for about 20 min and then there will be 'flash' when they turn completely off. We are uninstalling them shortly. Did you locate the timer? Even with the lights uninstalled the timer would still keep the circuit open and draw a small amount of power.

I never searched for the timer circuit. If there is no ground to complete the circuit, the amount of power drain would barely be measurable. I don't know if the timer is pre or post fuse, but I suspect post fuse. Adding a switch that controls power across the fuse might be a better solution than mine, but you still need to control the ground, so it would need to be a DPDT switch.

Reactions: Springsyeti

·
Registered
151 Posts
Only negative is the lower mpg for the gas Transit compared to the diesel Sprinter. I am satisfied with that just to get rid of the diesel engine with all its reliability issues due to the emission controls.
Much, much quieter as well.

Today, I replaced the two wires the body shop cut when they replaced the roof! Now my GPS and XM radio work again! Yay!

Last week I had the windows tinted... I can't believe it took me this long to do that. What a huge difference it makes in being able to see the GPS! I rarely wear sunglasses, and I really don't notice it at night. It really makes the van look cool as well. I really love this!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts

The timer is in the Body Control Module. The firmware can be refreshed but there's no way to adjust the time delay. The constant load after the system goes to sleep is .027 amps. On a VM it can be seen as .10 volts. This is considered acceptable by Ford. If it's a daily driver you shouldn't have a problem but if its a grocery getter or RV that sits most of the time then get a battery tender and plug it in every couple of days. I try to leave mine plugged in until the float voltage reaches 13.2v.

As a side note, you can force it into sleep mode by simply locking the doors with the remote. It will go into full sleep about 5 minutes after that. All doors must be closed and the first door that opens brings it out of sleep mode.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
The timer is in the Body Control Module. The firmware can be refreshed but there's no way to adjust the time delay. The constant load after the system goes to sleep is .027 amps. On a VM it can be seen as .10 volts. This is considered acceptable by Ford. If it's a daily driver you shouldn't have a problem but if its a grocery getter or RV that sits most of the time then get a battery tender and plug it in every couple of days. I try to leave mine plugged in until the float voltage reaches 13.2v.

As a side note, you can force it into sleep mode by simply locking the doors with the remote. It will go into full sleep about 5 minutes after that. All doors must be closed and the first door that opens brings it out of sleep mode.
For such a small drain, one of those little $20 1.5 watt solar battery chargers would work well. Plug it in and set it on the dash. HOWEVER, I think the Transit 12vdc powerpoints shut off with the timer, so you couldn't back-feed voltage to the battery, you would have to hook up a powerpoint directly to the battery like I did.

Oops, it's only $12...http://www.harborfreight.com/15-watt-solar-battery-charger-68692.html

121 - 140 of 2832 Posts