Ford Transit USA Forum banner

881 - 900 of 1922 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Made brackets to mount my jack

?????? How do you use that kind of jack on a Transit? Where does the lift get applied?

If ford maintains you be usin' only dem prescribed lift points dare ain't bein' no way youse's jack be fittin' dem...??

·
Registered
17 Posts
?????? How do you use that kind of jack on a Transit? Where does the lift get applied?

If ford maintains you be usin' only dem prescribed lift points dare ain't bein' no way youse's jack be fittin' dem...??
Ford probably doesn't like the winch on the front either. But, I go off-road often. So i carry all sorts of recovery gear. I had a rubicon with a 5" lift and 38" tires before this. I am used to getting stuck and pulling myself out. The maxtrax are a must too

Attachments

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I still don't get how you engage the jack. Which piece of plastic do you fit the lift to? No to mention there is front and rear consideration.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Amongst all the welding and add ones I've done to this thing, the next major one is welding some rock sliders underneath. So right now the only way I could use it is on the rear of the vehicle. Which, I've been stuck on the pumpkin before. Otherwise, I can use it to ratchet rope at the rear hitch and a tree if I need to pull myself backwards. Or, a month ago after the eclipse in Idaho, I took the back roads to avoid traffic. I came across a truck that had a flat. Could've come in handy there.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Amongst all the welding and add ones I've done to this thing, the next major one is welding some rock sliders underneath. So right now the only way I could use it is on the rear of the vehicle. Which, I've been stuck on the pumpkin before. Otherwise, I can use it to ratchet rope at the rear hitch and a tree if I need to pull myself backwards. Or, a month ago after the eclipse in Idaho, I took the back roads to avoid traffic. I came across a truck that had a flat. Could've come in handy there.

So basically you are telling Ford they can stuff their lift points!:s

In what you describe a come-along might be a better option. If there isn't a handy tree but you become desperate enough you could always dig a hole for a deadman. Would hate to be that stuck to be driven to such a drastic solution.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Finally installed my keypad this weekend, easy install, should've done it sooner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I like the location of the keypad. When you use it, you get to block view of it with your body.

So basically you are telling Ford they can stuff their lift points!:s

In what you describe a come-along might be a better option. If there isn't a handy tree but you become desperate enough you could always dig a hole for a deadman. Would hate to be that stuck to be driven to such a drastic solution.
I've pounded a few 3' long 1" diameter stakes into the ground to pull vehicles out. I use lines from a common shackle to each one to balance the load among the stakes. After extraction of the vehicle, I use the high lift jack to extract them from the ground. You need a large enough welded eye at the top to put the jack through. Also you attach your line down at ground level, not to the eye.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #888
I jump started my van!

I guess I got negligent about turning off my cab light control switch, and going in and out of the van a lot yesterday did a number on the battery. I have a spare battery and cables sitting around, so starting it was easy.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I jump started my van!

I guess I got negligent about turning off my cab light control switch, and going in and out of the van a lot yesterday did a number on the battery. I have a spare battery and cables sitting around, so starting it was easy.
Did the same thing last week.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Did the same thing last week.
After having that happen to me twice I removed the factory LED's and can now rely on my own installed switch operated LEDs. The great discovery I made this week is that the flat spot in the rear where the lights used to be mounted is a perfect place to attach CO detectors. I put one on both sides each being directly above our sleeping heads

·
Registered
816 Posts
After having that happen to me twice I removed the factory LED's and can now rely on my own installed switch operated LEDs. The great discovery I made this week is that the flat spot in the rear where the lights used to be mounted is a perfect place to attach CO detectors. I put one on both sides each being directly above our sleeping heads
I used a write up on this forum to put a switch in the cab across the fuse for the cargo lights.

http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/ford-transit-general-discussion/40410-cargo-area-lighting-switch.html

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #892
@ Sprinter_Owner; yeah, I think I read that!

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I did the Walmart LED side blinkers. I forget who - Truck? - told us about these. Multiple people's tips disassembling the mirror, finding the correct wire to tap were needed. One unit with two LEDs would probably be enough and then the wiring would look a **** of a lot better like I think it was Truck did.

I may have gone overboard. The box come with 8 units of two LEDs each and I didn't feel right not using them all. I can paint the white wires to blend in more. It looks OK from at least 10 feet away, kind of hack job from closer than that. But they're highly function, very bright, brighter than the stock front turn signals. The LED lens directs the light 180 degrees so they're visible from the front or rear of the van. They actually seem brighter when you view them from the side rather than directly at them.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
do not use a awning enough to warrant the cost of a factory one.
so i went back to a old one i had stored that was used on step van years ago (1970's!)
seems like i never throw anything away (see Bad picture,Baja bay of LA)
as i already had a roof rail that was part of solar panel support system it was a easy modification.
grommets in awning just slip over 1/4x20 bolts that after mounting are bent away from edge, this keeps awning from slipping off.
hang awning add support poles/tie downs and your good to go.

Les,lqhikers

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
while i'm at it thought i would post picture of my home made windshield cover.
most of th time i use it mounted on out side of windshield as it keeps the van
cooler since the glass does not heat up and transfer heat to inside of van.

band is slipped over drivers mirror then tied to passenger grip.
works great and was cheep to make.
edge is reinforced with naugahyde edging sewed on.

Les,lqikers

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
I got my 2 week old (to me) van set up for my daily use of mountain biking, surfing, taking kids to school and going to work without having to leave bikes or boards outside the vehicle.

Still needs lots of tint to keep prying eyes and heat out. Will likely do a lift and slightly larger tires eventually too. Very happy overall with everything but the heinous SYNC system and the gas mileage.

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
In view of the incident at the Fiamma factory in Florida awhile back, I ordered a Carefree of Colorado Freedom roof mount awning. In order to make sure I had the right parts I contacted the factory prior to ordering.

Today was the day to have it installed. When the dealer started to install the awning ( I have balance issues on ladders) with the brackets they sent he looked confused. The bracket did not line up with the factory holes in the roof. He referenced the catalog and found out that they sent the wrong roof mount brackets (sprinter). While talking to them he found out that they will not sell the brackets that fit perfectly for a flat roof mount unless it is OEM. Their plan (Carefree) was to have you drill holes in the roof and bolt wherever they could. This is in direct conflict from what I have read from Ford on the roof loading. They thought that some time in the future they may release the specific mount to the general public but are not sure if or when.

As a result we came up with a plan to have the extruded alum bracket welded to plates that would span and bolt into the factory holes. So in another week or so it should be ready to finish the install.

Two things:
1. It is pretty _hitty that they do not take advantage of the opportunity and sell to the public.
2. According to the rv service center, Carefree and A&E are the best awnings to install.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Finally installed the Maxxair. Thanks again to multiple people that I don't remember. Van Williams and Ekxyz and others. Tips like throwing a thick blanket on the edge of the roof and leaning the ladder against it is something I wouldn't have thought of. Warnings about not denting the roof. Took way too long anyway with my usual mistakes and re-do's. Making the wood inside frame, notching and dadoing to fit the ribs took several tries. Picture is the first wood frame that I threw out but it shows Orton's aluminum frame.

It doesn't seem possible to make Dicor self leveling sealant look good. Too late now but is there any method to have a good finish with Dicor?

Hat tip to Orton - I used his idea of aluminum strips around the top of the flange to distribute the force of the mounting screws. View from the roof is amazing - I have to build a deck up there.

Attachments

881 - 900 of 1922 Posts