Ford Transit USA Forum banner

861 - 880 of 1922 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hit a huge milestone in the build today. I finally have my Isotemp hot water heater connected to the engine coolant. Unlimited hot water from now on.. as long as I drive somewhere first. I've had the hot water connected to my shower/faucets for a little while now. But finally having it hooked up to be heated from the engine coolant is a big item checked off of my to do list.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
At 72,000 miles I replaced my single battery with dual AGMs, now I have plenty of reserve power for my current uses. I'm pleased that it was a relatively easy project and they fit just fine. Next up: finish adding entry and ambient LED lighting after months of having some temporary lights in place to evaluate.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #865
At 72,000 miles I replaced my single battery with dual AGMs, now I have plenty of reserve power for my current uses. I'm pleased that it was a relatively easy project and they fit just fine. Next up: finish adding entry and ambient LED lighting after months of having some temporary lights in place to evaluate.
My life accomplice is in NYC for some metropolitan museum of art thing, and was scheduled to fly down to FL Thursday to visit Aunt and Uncle. Guess THAT isn't happening...>:D

·
Registered
396 Posts
You're way ahead of me! ;)

I NEED to wash and, finally/initially, wax it.

One of the first things I'm doing (weather pending) is doing a ceramic hydrophobic wax coating on the van.

For those who wait 2 years to wax, I'm sure you have no idea what I'm talking about. :D:p:D

I'm in the appearance industry so gotta keep my van looking good. Lol

·
Registered
469 Posts
My life accomplice is in NYC for some metropolitan museum of art thing, and was scheduled to fly down to FL Thursday to visit Aunt and Uncle. Guess THAT isn't happening...>:D
Irma is changing lots of plans. I bet many are going to flee it.

Click image for latest forecast.
We can all pray it turns out east earlier than predicted. As is right now they forecast it to be near that large lake in southern Florida around 2am Monday.

I always liked MoMA. They had both interesting photography and modern art exhibits. When I started making money selling my art I became a MoMA patron. It was the first museum I gave significant donations to. I liked that they have a photography curator. I always earmarked half my donations to photography. The other half to acquiring young artists works of any types. MoMA was just one of the largest recipients of what I gave to museums. The Costume Institute at the MET was the other big receiver. I "tithed" to museums and science, not a church. In a way it was giving back. Two patrons of the arts had supported my art education when my parents couldn't afford to.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
good luck with the evacuation, i have traveled I-75 many times in north central florida during normal periods of high traffic. (almost bumper to bumper at 70 MPH, very tiring since you can not relax for a second!)

and that was before cellphones!

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
You're way ahead of me! ;)I NEED to wash and, finally/initially, wax it.
I dread the thought of the work involved in washing and waxing a high roof :(

Click image for latest forecast.
We can all pray it turns out east earlier than predicted. As is right now they forecast it to be near that large lake in southern Florida around 2am Monday.
****! They are making it seem like Irma is specifically targeting Florida. (She has good aim)

(I know that's a 4-5 days out forecast which is tenuous)

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
One of the first things I'm doing (weather pending) is doing a ceramic hydrophobic wax coating on the van.

For those who wait 2 years to wax, I'm sure you have no idea what I'm talking about. :D:p:D

I'm in the appearance industry so gotta keep my van looking good. Lol

Do you intend to Clay Bar it first?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Framed Electrical Base Cabinet

After a two month dry spell, we started getting some rain again and the van seems to be keeping the water out. I finished the installation of the 30A 125V shore power receptacle and started framing the base cabinet for the house batteries, solar controls and converter/inverter using 1x3s. This is my first attempt at making cabinets and so far, it is going to plan. I test fit the base frame over the battery tray and set the converter/inverter into place to check clearances before I install Thinsulate insulation and cover the walls.

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hit a huge milestone in the build today. I finally have my Isotemp hot water heater connected to the engine coolant. Unlimited hot water from now on.. as long as I drive somewhere first. I've had the hot water connected to my shower/faucets for a little while now. But finally having it hooked up to be heated from the engine coolant is a big item checked off of my to do list.
Hi Deadwood, did you have to add coolant lines from engine to back? I tried to find out if you have a passenger or cargo van. I'm at the point of deciding whether it is worth the trouble to add such lines on my cargo van to have hot water to a heat exchanger with possible electric backup. Thanks!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi Deadwood, did you have to add coolant lines from engine to back? I tried to find out if you have a passenger or cargo van. I'm at the point of deciding whether it is worth the trouble to add such lines on my cargo van to have hot water to a heat exchanger with possible electric backup. Thanks!
Yes. I had to run two lines from the engine coolant to the water heater. Actually this is one of the few jobs on the van that I paid someone else to do. My ISO Temp heater sits behind the drivers seat which puts it right in front of my wetbath.

I have a cargo van but I think you would be able to do it with either van. The only thing I did was drill out a few holes to get it ready. I wanted to make sure I had a chance to put some epoxy paint where I drilled. I also took a couple of copper couplers and used some JB Weld to hold them in place. Then it was simple for my guy to run the hose from the engine up into the van. It's a very clean install and he used one hose from coolant line to heater.

I also had to drill one hole for the temperature release valve and put a small pex hose on that through the floor.

So far it is all working great. The water is freaking hot and I have hot water every time I drive. I'll have to see how long it takes to heat up if I just idle it for a little while. But it seems like it stays hot quite a while.

Also it is a four gallon tank but because it is hotter then normal hot water I have to mix more cold with it so I think it's more like getting 8 gallons worth of water hot enough to shower with.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Insulated walls and started installing tongue and groove siding

Insulated the walls and wheel wells with Thinsulate backed, in some places with some denim I had lying around. Framed a wheel well enclosure out of 2x2"s and 1x3"s. Installed an 8' 2x4" header for the bed platform and installed hemlock tongue and groove on the lower walls.

It hasn't rained to speak of for a couple of months, but it is supposed to rain almost all of next week, so I can focus on insulating the ceiling and installing the rest of the tongue and groove on the walls and ceiling.

Attachments

861 - 880 of 1922 Posts