Ford Transit USA Forum banner
21 - 40 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
Maybe just get a Honda 2000 and put it on a swing-away rear hitch platform for those times you need it. It might also come in handy if the power goes out at home.
I wonder about putting a small generator on a roof rack?

Reactions: DrJean

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
Yeah I wondered about your egress, and assumed it was through the rear doors. You may need to explore an interior cabinet that vents to the outside if you really think you need a generator.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
Drove it to pick up my dog from her sleep-over. My life accomplice had her birthday party last night, complete with appearance by Dr Rockso. Too much action and food spillage for my Rat Terrier to handle! Also previously used van to get 3-4 gallons of mid-shelf hard liquor and a token amount of Rolling Rock beer at Costco, as well as chili and chock full o' nuts coffee and other CBGB's theme paraphernalia.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
"finished" my full size prototype of the murphybed/couch.
Experiment showed that my slide mechanism concept isn't too great for this purpose.
Intended function is to fold Ikea click-lock sofabed (or any other brand) flat up against the wall above the wheel well, folded down to make a bed, click up the back to make a couch and slide it all in to the wall for maximum floor space as a couch.
I made a mechanism of 3/4" Unistrut and a hardwood 1x2 cut into a fat "T" to slide inside the Unistrut. The Unistrut is attached to the wood frame via welded-on T hinge, the 1x2 is screwed to the bottom of the couch/bed. I could not make them overlap adequately for a smooth movement, but it's functional, but requires a little fussing to slide the couch into the wall. 1x2 thickness works perfectly, protruding 1/8" above the lip of the Unistrut for mounting and still allowing travel.
I'll come up with some other method, and fabricate folding, locking front legs (these are just there to test it). The plan is to cover the underside with 1/4" melamine so it's a wall when in the "up" position. Flush push latches to hold bed in "up" position. Also, a cabinet above the window between the two uprights.

Or I'll just stop trying to be a cheap ******* and buy a roll-over couch or dinette from blazetech for $500-600...

Attachments

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
I've been doing drawings and scale models for a month.
I tried drawer glides but they are too weak for the task, and the 500lb ones are so expensive I should just buy the roll-over. i cannot find anyone who sells just the roll-over hinge; THAT would solve everything. Other extension systems put the back of the couch out too far from the wall, losing floor space. I thought about pipe inside a pipe. I've thought about double sideways hinged supports, like an awning. I need to keep a low profile because the seat for the couch is already pushing it at 17" off the floor.

This whole exercise is because I want to have my work van, driving kids to school van, roadtrip van, and camping van be the same one with minimal modifications between each configuration.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 · (Edited)
i am not sure what you are looking for but the hinges on these folding ladders can be locked at almost any angle, some of these types of ladders are very low cost, just take the hinges you need or cut the ladder to fit what you are trying to do. this is just one example and it may not be the best example of this type of ladder: https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-12-aluminum-folding-ladder
Thanks, I forgot about these!
Every once in a while I see one that fell off a truck and got destroyed on the freeway, maybe I'll grab one and see if I can salvage the hinge mechanisms. They're a little pricey to buy and tear apart.

I can visualize a system where the couch back and seat are comfortable height, but the wall pivot would be high, so when extended into a bed it would tip UP and straighten out, leaving a large amount of storage space underneath! GREAT idea! Removal of mattresses would allow it to fold up flat to the wall, too!

Reactions: Michael Ophus

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·
The multi-ladder shows promise. 11' model $55 with free shipping.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
Started putting in my shelving, etc. for my Refrigeration HVAC business.

Surly Bill good thread, like the one in the Sprinter forum, BTW, where is the Danger Zone? ;)
HaHa!
this is a pasteurized, constricted forum; free thinkers are only tolerated if their "free thinking" falls within boundaries of ever-changing general social acceptance. Maybe the admins will create a Danger Zone at some point for those who desire to joust windmills with their keyboards, like a regular Don Qwerty.

As opposed to Don Quixote. You get it, but some may not get the reference and word play, for reasons best left in....The Danger Zone. >:D

Reactions: alarmist

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
i am not sure what you are looking for but the hinges on these folding ladders can be locked at almost any angle, some of these types of ladders are very low cost, just take the hinges you need or cut the ladder to fit what you are trying to do. this is just one example and it may not be the best example of this type of ladder: https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-12-aluminum-folding-ladder
I picked up a used one for $20 on Craigslist today. When I get back in town I'll dissect it and start experimenting with it's corpse.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 ·
What was the previous pressure? I'd like to drop mine a bit because I'm not fully loaded, but the "low tire pressure" light comes on if it's not at maximum allowed pressure for the rears!

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #260 ·
I'd prefer to stop and smell the roses. But I have the luxury of setting my own schedules. That's a fair haul, I used to go from Bend Oregon to Breckenridge Colorado in one shot.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #290 ·
Changed the oil. Still a messy process despite making a splash guard to channel the horizontal drain into the bucket. Maybe I WILL get one of those 90 degree adapters.
Also, reset the oil change indicator (thanks, forum!).

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #296 ·
I got a few cuts and scrapes re-routing my overhead cargo wire harness. The unseen edges in the body cavity are not user friendly.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #299 ·
I ran a length of 16/8 low voltage sprinkler valve control wire front to back for any future connections. For low demand 12vdc, relay control, speakers, cameras, etc.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #329 ·
I'm going to copy that for my 4"PVC pipe awning enclosure!

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #338 ·
Spent most of the day tinkering with the "camping cabinet". Got all the bones together; 4' long, 30" tall, 18" deep. Sits in the back close to the passenger side rear door. It will house the 60-70qt cooler in full extension drawer, the stove under a flip-up section of the top (rear 18"), 6 gal water cube with spigot facing rear door under that, and the bottom 10" alongside the wheel well is accessed via port facing the rear door for long things (chairs, shade tent, etc) and sliding doors on the side. 3 bolts hold it to the factory threaded holes, it's free-standing so it could be removed and set outside to free up space while extended camping if needed. It won't spend a lot of time in the van, just camping and roadtrips. I have a long narrow cabinet that encloses the wheel well along that whole wall that I use most of the time. Good place to stash tools, chains, tie-downs, and other stuff that's only used on or with the van, and serves as a little table across from my murphy bed/couch, albeit a 9" deep table.

I'll take pics when it's about done. I've had the flu or something for a week, and this was the first day I could spend more than just a couple hours on my feet. I'm getting sick of the internet.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #352 ·
What are you going to do if you secede from the US and become the country of Commiefornia?
It would only be the few counties around the Bay Area and LA. Maybe Humboldt county. Most of us who do not want to be conscripts only need to move a little way. Before they put up the walls to keep people in. A lot of people are under the illusion that the rebellion would go all the way to the current State lines. It would be county by county, and most California counties (and land mass) are Red counties. The CalExiters are under that illusion, and keep talking about the Central Valley supplying all the food for Nation of California and exports, lol!

What I did today? Worked on the camping cabinet again, after driving it to work on a house and pick up the kids.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #355 ·
This forum, unlike the Sprinter forum, does not have a designated place for such off-topic discussions. Admins might consider a "Danger Zone" area so that political. religious, and other opinion posts don't show up in other threads like this one.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #386 ·
Booted the crackheads blocking my driveway so I could drive it out. No cars parked at the curb on either side, crackheads choose to park blocking my driveway while they buy drugs a couple houses down. I'll never understand their logic.

21 - 40 of 223 Posts