Ford Transit USA Forum banner
2781 - 2800 of 2829 Posts

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
3,714 Posts
I haven't been boarding in years. I really need to make a point of going up a few times next year. It just seems like so much EFFORT compared to when I lived in Breckenridge and had a Summit Pass. Freakin' 15 minutes to the lift, and if the snow was bad or icy, leave after one run instead of trying to get the most of the money spent on a day ticket.
For sure. We have a place in Mammoth that we share with other families. And other times we just stay in the van. But it's 5-6 hours to drive there; not that bad once we're used to it, I guess. We /almost/ bought a full-time place there three years ago... but /that/ seemed like a hassle. 😄

Pretty stoked to get a couple late-season extra days in the last few weeks! 🏂

·
Registered
9,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,782 ·
For sure. We have a place in Mammoth that we share with other families. And other times we just stay in the van. But it's 5-6 hours to drive there; not that bad once we're used to it, I guess. We /almost/ bought a full-time place there three years ago... but /that/ seemed like a hassle. 😄

Pretty stoked to get a couple late-season extra days in the last few weeks! 🏂
When I first moved to the SF Bay Area, people here were extolling it's virtues; "You snowboard? You'll love it here, it's really close to the mountains!". A 3 hour drive is not "close". Anything more than a 30 minute drive to the lifts is not "close". 😒

I like the June Lake area, and have been thinking of getting some land there and building a vacation home. I don't know how their hill is, I've never ridden there.

Reactions: gregoryx

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
When I first moved to the SF Bay Area, people here were extolling it's virtues; "You snowboard? You'll love it here, it's really close to the mountains!". A 3 hour drive is not "close". Anything more than a 30 minute drive to the lifts is not "close". 😒

I like the June Lake area, and have been thinking of getting some land there and building a vacation home. I don't know how their hill is, I've never ridden there.
Agreed on drive.

We have three remaining ski areas here in SoCal: Mountain High (Wrightwood); Mt. Baldy (Upland); and Summit / Bear / Valley (Big Bear). Years past, Baldy has had some AMAZING snow; but nothing much in years now. Wrightwood isn't far ahead of that. Big Bear gets decent snow; but with the peak at ~8K (versus ~9K+ at Baldy and ~11K at Mammoth), it's never all that good. We'll hit Big Bear sometimes... but I'd just as soon drive 5-6 hours for great snow than 2-3 hours for meh.

June is great. The resort is super small but the snow is good - lots of locals. But the single-lift from the base makes it painful on busy days. But Mammoth is a 30-minute drive...

·
Registered
493 Posts
Swapped out my aging Lifeline 100 Ah 12V AGM battery with a Battle Born 100 Ah 12V LiFePO4 battery. The process was a simple drop in replacement and changes to charging parameter settings as provided by Battle Born.

Reactions: surly Bill

·
Registered
2020 148 HR AWD
309 Posts
I don’t know if this counts, but I had a lot of time in an airport today due to weather delays. So I finally went through notes and photo’s and determined that we’ve camped 93 nights in our van since we picked it up in September 2020, 9 weeks of which it was “off the road” getting converted. I’m retired but my wife works full time on-site in a hospital, so I think that’s pretty good. 23K miles, zero issues. AWD and EcoBoost.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Finally installed finish panels on the wall behind the driver's seat. And finished the fridge cabinet. And replaced the shelves in the galley with good material. And doubled the number of lights in the front zone (galley / dining). And re-routed 120VAC and 12VDC lines through the wall into the upper area above the cab (for the sound-bar and rear-view camera and other stuff). Oh... and got a strong 3/2/1 tempo run in this morning closing with a 5:22 mile - feel pretty good about that for an old guy. Productive couple of days!

And packing now to go to Zion for a few days. Gonna hit the Subway slot hike and climb at the Namaste Wall.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire

Gas Automotive design Machine Stairs Flooring

Automotive design Vehicle Wood Ceiling Automotive exterior

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

Brown Plant Wood Amber Trunk

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
@gregoryx
Wow, productive! Always feels so good to finish a bunch of lingering things. Looks good. What are the three plastic containers screwed into the bottom drawer - just storage dividers? Or?

Ha, since all the photos were of your van, I got to the last one and was thinking, "oh, must be a close-up of his flooring or some other wood trim feature. Very textured! Wonder what kind of wood it is..."

Then I saw the tiny man and realized it was a massive rock wall 😆

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
@gregoryx
Wow, productive! Always feels so good to finish a bunch of lingering things. Looks good. What are the three plastic containers screwed into the bottom drawer - just storage dividers? Or?

Ha, since all the photos were of your van, I got to the last one and was thinking, "oh, must be a close-up of his flooring or some other wood trim feature. Very textured! Wonder what kind of wood it is..."

Then I saw the tiny man and realized it was a massive rock wall 😆
Three plastic containers are just for holding / containing stuff. So far, that seems the best setup we've come up with.

Looking good. So you vehicle inverter is now closed in behind a solid wall?
I wouldn't say, "solid," as it's got a big gap on the bottom and the top. Did a test run with a different sheet for a couple trips and it works. Seems good. I'll probably stick a temp sensor in there just to be sure.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
So... we had someone help us customize the right front wheel - and the whole side of the van today. :rolleyes:

No injuries. Just an idiot driving too fast, swerved and lost control. Blamed the auto-stopping on his Camry. But our video from the rear camera says otherwise. What a moron.

Stuck in Vegas waiting to see if we can get the studs and lugs.

Wheel Tire Car Automotive tire Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
So... we had someone help us customize the right front wheel - and the whole side of the van today. :rolleyes:

No injuries. Just an idiot driving too fast, swerved and lost control. Blamed the auto-stopping on his Camry. But our video from the rear camera says otherwise. What a moron.

Stuck in Vegas waiting to see if we can get the studs and lugs.

View attachment 171447
Sorry to hear that, that's frustrating. Cameras come in handy. How bad is the body damage?

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Sorry to hear that, that's frustrating. Cameras come in handy. How bad is the body damage?
Damage is mostly superficial. Power slider still works. Power step still works. Passenger door fine. Just a bunch of stuff dinged up. Alignment is a little off now; but not too bad. We drove 1,000 miles since the accident. Grateful to get the lugs replaced and get back on the road. Made it to our destination about 8 hours later than planned. Still had a great weekend in Zion - hence not responding until now! 🤷‍♀️

Ford will not sell the studs for the wheels. Only the hub with the studs in place. And those are $400 and back-ordered until June. :rolleyes:

Kept thinking, "uh... this is why I switched from the Sprinter to Ford - 'cause parts would be available!" But Covid times and all that... whatcha gonna do?

Took the stud spec to Napa and got six new studs and lug nuts (14mm x 1.50 thread x 60mm length, FTR) and got it all put back together with the help of an old-school mechanic in Henderson. Took a long time to realize that was our ONLY option to get back on the road. Insurance folks couldn't understand, "I don't care about the cost... I just want to continue our trip; I'll send receipts and you pay me or not." 🤣

Mostly bummed about how long repairs will take. Tesla was a month in the shop when someone hit it a few months back. We've got plans every single week for the next couple months. 😠

I actually like the black studs and lugs better. I may do the rest. LOL

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Gearing up wetsuits, harnesses, dry-bags, etc for the Subway hike. So fun!
Water resources Water Plant community Plant Bedrock

Water Bedrock Watercourse Coastal and oceanic landforms Fluvial landforms of streams

We "Batman'd" one part
Bedrock Organism Recreation Formation Leisure

Encouraging newbies down a rap
Climbing Bedrock Rock-climbing equipment Outdoor recreation Rock climbing

Such cool scenery up top
Brown Sky Natural landscape Bedrock Slope

Oh... and Saturday was climbing the Namaste Wall. Super pretty stuff. Way more overhanging than it looks.
Brown Plant Natural landscape Wood Biome

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
After viewing different sizes of Smart TV's, I changed my mind and went with a 32 inch one. Set it up at home and at the most probable viewing distance it looked great. The 40 inch class ones looked way too large. Also I picked up bed linen and an expandable rod for the privacy/heat blocking curtain.

·
Registered
417 Posts
After 71,150 miles I had my rear brakes and rotors replaced. Had it done by dealer I trust, and he was amazed at how well I did. Most of the tour busses he sees go 20,000 miles. With heavier rotors than OEM, he said I could expect to get another 70,000.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Today I filled the back of the van with scrap metal I've been accumulating for several years and took it down to the recycle center. Recycled 1100 pounds of ferrous metals. The best part is that I had the van weighed after emptying out the scrap metal.
Their scales said the my 350HD XLT dually weighs 7280 lbs. ( Almost a full tank of gas, me sitting in it and only one 3-person seat in the van.) On the plus side, I have an outside areal along my driveway looking better.)

• Wow
2781 - 2800 of 2829 Posts