Ford Transit USA Forum banner
2621 - 2640 of 2645 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
I pressure washed out the wheel wells after driving in the Flagstaff muck. Learned a big lesson that I need to do it sooner than later since it is partly clay and bakes on to metal. Mud flaps and or wheel well liner also being thought about.

·
Registered
2018 MR 130 Passenger XLT 3.7. Mods: Eaton Truetrac, 4.11, Cooper Discoverer AT3 245/70/16
184 Posts
Finally installed the maxxair fan I bought months ago. I think like a lot of people doing it the first time I was a bit nervous but in the end it was not bad at all. Of course, it hasn’t rained yet. While the headliner is out I’m installing extra interior lights and insulating the roof too.
Water Plant Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2018 MR 130 Passenger XLT 3.7. Mods: Eaton Truetrac, 4.11, Cooper Discoverer AT3 245/70/16
184 Posts
Not today but over the last couple weeks. After the fan, insulation and some lights. I had an excess of thinsulate so stuck the 600 on the roof itself (after noico) then put 400 on the top of the stock headliner. Probably overkill but a noticeable difference on a mild day in the sun with a black van so hoping to see more benefits come next summer.

I also ran power to the front from my homemade powerbox the rear. The van came with a tv (former shuttle) but the inverter only operates with the ignition on. By adding a comically large blue sea battery switch to the overhead shelf (the only one I could find with 1-2-off and not a1+2 connection) I can now run the tv from van or house power.

Lastly, put in some puck lights on a dimmer. Like them a lot, but may regret only installing four. Oh, and I added a switch to the rearmost stock cabin light which for some weird reason isn’t switched.

White Lighting Automotive lighting Line Automotive design

·
Registered
8,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,626 ·
I changed the oil.
For the first time I can remember my "change oil" light came on. I regularly change at 10k because it's easy to remember even if it doesn't need to be changed. I am about 1500 miles short of that this time. Light came on when I was driving back from LA to SF after going down there the day before.
Walmart was out of Mobil-1, so I got Castrol synthetic 5-20. One thing, for the first time I got the Mobil-1 "high mileage" or "extended performance" 5-20 last time, maybe that's why the sensor wanted me to change it, different perceived viscosity or additives messing things up or something.

·
Registered
ordered 9-27-21 130" LR Crew EB R1Z order confirmed 10-8-21
370 Posts
3m vinyl. I also like that it looks like there are not windows at first glance. Perhaps slightly better security.
I've had those perforations on a delivery van and a pickup. All's good until it rains. I hope you have the rear cameras.

Front dam looks good.

·
Registered
2019 250 148 mr
461 Posts
I've had those perforations on a delivery van and a pickup. All's good until it rains. I hope you have the rear cameras.

Front dam looks good.
Yes, I have the rear camera displayed in the rear view mirror. It's far, far better than trying to see out the back windows.

I just wanted a bit more privacy/security without giving up a bit of natural light.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Foam Blob attachment:
Don't ask me how many times we have changed our minds on what to do about the foam blobs:-(
We still don't know what to do about them but I do know I am tired of using the wire-wrap-and-pull trick to remove the plastic pins which hold the foam blobs. Soooo, Transitioned to a threaded solution by running an 8mm tap into the holes and gluing 8mm flange-nuts to short pieces of 8mm nylon threaded rod, making custom nylon bolts which now thread in, to hold the blobs. More importantly they easily unthread, the next time we need/wish to remove the blobs.
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

Reactions: njvagabond

·
Registered
100 Posts
I considered that solution as well, but was concerned about airbag deployment being hindered by the stronger hardware.
Yep, I hear you and share that concern.

We did some pull-out tests comparing the plastic pin pull-out effort and 8mm nylon threaded rod pull-out effort. I was impressed/surprised how much effort it took before the nylon threads failed. "Wait a minute", (Eureka moment) maybe that is the key... We could thread some weaker material like plastic rod, where the threads would fail at a pull-out effort much lower than the nylon rod and comparable to the factory plastic pins. @AzB Thanks for the comment and getting me to think about another option. (Whoever said I overthink stuff;-)

Reactions: AzB

·
Registered
8 Posts
In my opinion, tape bond will not work if the weather is humid or you need to apply in the rain. So, to cater to every weather condition a magical product is needed like RV Roof Magic. It gives permanent protection against hailing, raining or snow. It is absolutely the best product to use in humid areas or the extremely sunny areas.​

·
Registered
8,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,635 ·
Yep, I hear you and share that concern.

We did some pull-out tests comparing the plastic pin pull-out effort and 8mm nylon threaded rod pull-out effort. I was impressed/surprised how much effort it took before the nylon threads failed. "Wait a minute", (Eureka moment) maybe that is the key... We could thread some weaker material like plastic rod, where the threads would fail at a pull-out effort much lower than the nylon rod and comparable to the factory plastic pins. @AzB Thanks for the comment and getting me to think about another option. (Whoever said I overthink stuff;-)
Several large patches of heavy duty velcro?

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
@AzB @skTransit
I think I am missing something about the blob fastening issue. I am under the impression that they are designed to stay in place during a crash. I previously thought they were to guide the airbag, but I was later was corrected (IIRC with a reference to a Ford document) that the blobs are to protect the occupants head when it recoils in a crash. I can't imagine the "Christmas trees" breaking away, at least not reliably. What is your understanding? Thanks

·
Registered
2021 Transit 148 HR
143 Posts
I finally installed my Dometic RTX 2000 on the roof. It was a larger-than-expected engineering problem to support the air conditioner with a frame under the roof panel, but it seems pretty secure now. I'll know more down the road.

·
Registered
2019 250 148 mr
461 Posts
@AzB @skTransit
I think I am missing something about the blob fastening issue. I am under the impression that they are designed to stay in place during a crash. I previously thought they were to guide the airbag, but I was later was corrected (IIRC with a reference to a Ford document) that the blobs are to protect the occupants head when it recoils in a crash. I can't imagine the "Christmas trees" breaking away, at least not reliably. What is your understanding? Thanks
I am speculating totally based on my perception. It appears to me that the air bags can't deploy fully with the blobs in place, and that's the reason they're made out of styrofoam... so they won't do any damage flying around. The "christmas trees" appear to break with a sharp, sudden impact.

I could be wrong. It does occasionally happen.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
@AzB @skTransit
Here is the only thing Ford has to say about the foam blobs.

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
2,036 Posts
... installed an Aluminess bumper.
While the bumper looks great, I think I would likely go Backwoods if I had to do it over as the Aluminess experience wasn't the greatest.
Could you say more about "wasn't the greatest", @JustAnotherUser ?

I'm considering bumper options and this was on the list.

2621 - 2640 of 2645 Posts