Ford Transit USA Forum banner

2161 - 2180 of 2201 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
As many of you know, the alloy wheels use different different lug nuts than the steel wheels. The chrome ones that Ford puts on have a chrome "cap" on them that deforms and can eventually make it a problem to remove the lug. A while back I replaced the worst of them with the locking lugs which are ugly but not chewed up. I had my MR in for tire rotation last week (it's a pita to do it on my sloped driveway), and they wanted to sell me all new ones for around $10 EACH. These black ones came from Amazon and are nice quality and the look is better even on my filthy wheel. Soon I will make the effort to pull and clean all of them and do some accent painting that should look great with these black lugs. :cool:

Black lug, locking one, good one, bad one, destroyed cap:

Before and after:

So far just the front left is changed:

took a while to find a black set that fit the specs. $65 for 20 nuts when it would be $200 for Ford's inferior ones:

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Moved propane to under van gaining inside storage space. Bought a new Manchester 6813 (25# RV tank) and mounted it where spare was. Tank was $420 shipped. Tank is tucked up pretty good. I do have a 2" lift and 245/75r16 KO2's.

The spare has been on the rear door for a long time.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
As many of you know, the alloy wheels use different different lug nuts than the steel wheels. The chrome ones that Ford puts on have a chrome "cap" on them that deforms and can eventually make it a problem to remove the lug...
Dorman makes a ton of solid lug nuts that do not have the caps but not sure if they odder black. I've purchased several sets of theirs for our cars over the years. I hate those capped nuts. They always come apart at the wrong time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had my electric brake controller swapped from my Ram truck to Transit van. It took under 10 minutes for my trailer shop guy to figure it out and button it up in under an hour. $ 90.00 later I,m on the road ..
:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Installed a Max Air mini deluxe vent. I like the design better than the Max air vent on my last Transit.This one is always venting some so the motorcycle gas fumes will not be an issue.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Rotated tires and changed oil, at 70k miles. I normally shimmy under the un-lifted van, to change oil. Since I'm planning to cycle out some transmission fluid, I wanted more space to work. Added a set of 3-board lifts to the more compact 2-board lifts that I take camping.

I know this is low-tech, and most members, here, have already got whatever lift they may need. But, for any newcomers to the idea, these lifts are made of sections of 2x8 boards. The top boards are 9 inches long, and, each lower step is an additional 11 inches. For standard size tires, this allows room for the full contact patch to be supported. I glued them together, shot them with 2-inch brads, and clamped them to dry.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,174
I use 2x6 boards for camping levelers, and firewood if no leveling is needed.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Rotated tires and changed oil, at 70k miles. I normally shimmy under the un-lifted van, to change oil. Since I'm planning to cycle out some transmission fluid, I wanted more space to work. Added a set of 3-board lifts to the more compact 2-board lifts that I take camping.

I know this is low-tech, and most members, here, have already got whatever lift they may need. But, for any newcomers to the idea, these lifts are made of sections of 2x8 boards. The top boards are 9 inches long, and, each lower step is an additional 11 inches. For standard size tires, this allows room for the full contact patch to be supported. I glued them together, shot them with 2-inch brads, and clamped them to dry.

View attachment 137671
I'm thinking about doing this, too, since I didn't move the steel ramps that I used to use when changing the oil. Do you put anything under the bottom board to keep the wheels from pushing the boards rather than going up on them? I think I'll add a stop block at the top so it's harder to overshoot the ramps.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I'm thinking about doing this, too, since I didn't move the steel ramps that I used to use when changing the oil. Do you put anything under the bottom board to keep the wheels from pushing the boards rather than going up on them? I think I'll add a stop block at the top so it's harder to overshoot the ramps.
The fronts don't move, when driving up. The rears want to slip, or spin tires (since the front is semi-blocked). So, I drive up 1 board height on front, then place the rear to get their position, then back off the front, and a few feet more. Give myself a running start (left foot hovering over brake), then make the first board on rear. After that, no problem making next step.

Camping, I'm usually backing down a slight grade, and, there's no problem with rear wheel spin.

I really hated the set of steel ramps I had. Didn't move them across the country to new home, either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A precautionary word about boards under driven wheels. They can be shot out at a very high velocity with very minimal wheel spin. Be 100% certain nothing and nobody is in the path they could travel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I've been planning to put this window on the opposite side behind the driver's window. VWD recommends buying a heavy duty caulk gun to apply the adhesive, and after reading about your install, that's probably a good idea.
Warm up your tube of caulk with a heat gun or set in the sun for a few minutes. It squeezes out much more easily.

2019 HR 148 EB Cargo

·
Registered
241 Posts
The fronts don't move, when driving up. The rears want to slip, or spin tires (since the front is semi-blocked). So, I drive up 1 board height on front, then place the rear to get their position, then back off the front, and a few feet more. Give myself a running start (left foot hovering over brake), then make the first board on rear. After that, no problem making next step.

Camping, I'm usually backing down a slight grade, and, there's no problem with rear wheel spin.

I really hated the set of steel ramps I had. Didn't move them across the country to new home, either.
Thanks for the info. Now I know what to expect. My driveway is slightly sloped so I don't think I will need the rear ramps to change the oil.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Today,
Trimmed cross body support under 3.5 cooling system.
LT245/70/17 on Method 701 had interference, now 5/8"+ clearance.
BEFORE

AFTER

2161 - 2180 of 2201 Posts