Ford Transit USA Forum banner

2141 - 2160 of 2201 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Measured and bought a bunch of aluminum for a custom roof rack. Was about $400 worth of aluminum so I hope it turns out good! Was going to do a Prime Design Alu-Rack but I wanted to do solar and the shading would have meant I would have had to do some fancy fab to get the panels way up there anyway.

It'll be about 11ft long:

View attachment 134749
Measured and bought a bunch of aluminum for a custom roof rack. Was about $400 worth of aluminum so I hope it turns out good! Was going to do a Prime Design Alu-Rack but I wanted to do solar and the shading would have meant I would have had to do some fancy fab to get the panels way up there anyway.

It'll be about 11ft long:

View attachment 134749
Mitch,
The 6" foam roll works well for me, nesting against roof and rack.
David

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,143
I caught a sudden gust of wind and tweaked my driver door today!

Not the $3000+ disaster that some people have had, though.
I was able to adjust the door hinges to get it back to where it needs to be, so the door/body weren't too bent at the connection. I was at the extreme limit of the lower door side of the hinge regarding pushing the door away from the body, and it could still use another 1/8" to be flush; but the passenger side is also inset a bit, so no big deal.
I was able to bend back the little 2" section of door edge that bent in 1/4", and touched up the paint with the factory pen. I'd have to point it out for anyone to notice.
While I had the paint out, I repaired about half a dozen rock chips above the windshield and on the hood.

The hinge bolts on the lower hinge are BEHIND the fender, and are really hard to get at. I thought I was going to have to take off the fender, but I found a very thin 10mm ratcheting bike wrench in my bike repair box that I could get in there. Used a pipe as a cheater, and could move the bolts 1/10th of a turn at a time. Used my floor jack to hold the bottom of the door in the spot I wanted, and then tightened everything back up.

·
Registered
91 Posts
And I thought cutting the hole for the roof vent was scary!

Installed the AMA half slider from Van Windows Direct yesterday. They were very helpful with any and all questions that I had, so I'm pleased with their customer service.

I was terrified to cut wrong or especially too much. Then... putting on the adhesive and getting the window in the right spot was quite a scary task. I asked my wife to help me put it in. We practiced dry several times and it still was scary.

We ordered the suction cups that I would highly recommend. They worked great. I don't think it could be done without them.

The caulking gun that we used had VERY poor leverage and I thought I wasn't going to have the endurance to push out 1 1/2 tubes of the extremely viscous Sikaflex P2G adhesive. Not sure if we applied as much as I would have liked as a result, but it should be fine. And for the record... I believe that my grip is at least average to above average!

This was the one item that the wife demanded. So now she is relatively happy!

IMG_20200714_121542349_HDR.jpg IMG_20200714_184532186.jpg IMG_20200715_074226684_HDR.jpg IMG_20200715_074836702_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
275 Posts
And I thought cutting the hole for the roof vent was scary!

Installed the AMA half slider from Van Windows Direct yesterday. They were very helpful with any and all questions that I had, so I'm pleased with their customer service.

I was terrified to cut wrong or especially too much. Then... putting on the adhesive and getting the window in the right spot was quite a scary task. I asked my wife to help me put it in. We practiced dry several times and it still was scary.

We ordered the suction cups that I would highly recommend. They worked great. I don't think it could be done without them.

The caulking gun that we used had VERY poor leverage and I thought I wasn't going to have the endurance to push out 1 1/2 tubes of the extremely viscous Sikaflex P2G adhesive. Not sure if we applied as much as I would have liked as a result, but it should be fine. And for the record... I believe that my grip is at least average to above average!

This was the one item that the wife demanded. So now she is relatively happy!

View attachment 136940 View attachment 136941 View attachment 136942 View attachment 136943
Thanks for posting this. I've been planning to put this window on the opposite side behind the driver's window. VWD recommends buying a heavy duty caulk gun to apply the adhesive, and after reading about your install, that's probably a good idea.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That looks good. Unfortunately it won't replace the OE window. I'll have to go with the "duel Vent" windows.
I get to install my new Maxxair fan this weekend. I'll have to run it from vans power until I get into the alt power generating business.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Easier to reach if you choose to manually operate the trailer brake.
With my long legs I would probably hit it with my knee.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2015 Transit T-250,,I brought mine to the dealer for the coupler recall,they told me it was an out of balance driveshaft and not under warranty, I will take it from ford tomorrow and sell it,I still have a 2014 E-250 that is twice the truck compared to this Transit piece of junk,5 lugs and 235/16 tires for a three quarter ton?Ford has lost me for good with these s%^t boxes,very upset

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
Easier to reach if you choose to manually operate the trailer brake.With my long legs I would probably hit it with my knee.
That's what you get for having long legs (said the short guy).

However, I did check for that- you'd have to have your knee way to the right of the gas pedal to come near it (at least my stubby ones).

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
2015 Transit T-250,,I brought mine to the dealer for the coupler recall,they told me it was an out of balance driveshaft and not under warranty, I will take it from ford tomorrow and sell it,I still have a 2014 E-250 that is twice the truck compared to this Transit piece of junk,5 lugs and 235/16 tires for a three quarter ton?Ford has lost me for good with these s%^t boxes,very upset
That sucks, I feel your frustration. Sounds like an out of the loop dealer or there is more to the story - how many miles on your van?

Many of us have upsized tires and/or wheels for various reasons, but the bottom line for a work truck is what the load rating is for tires/wheels. Is it inadequate for your needs?

You might want to read or post in this thread about the quirks you don't like about the Transit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok,the van has 105k on it,and they did the coupler at 40k and 95k miles,now the shake is unbelievable, I bought 12 of them,I might trade all of them in to Chevy for the Express, I will never go back to Ford ever again,every 5 yrs I would.buy 10 to 12 new vans,In my opinion the E-250 was much more durable

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok,the van has 105k on it,and they did the coupler at 40k and 95k miles,now the shake is unbelievable, I bought 12 of them,I might trade all of them in to Chevy for the Express, I will never go back to Ford ever again,every 5 yrs I would.buy 10 to 12 new vans,In my opinion the E-250 was much more durable
They are screwing alot of people, not just the junky van they are selling but the down time that the truck is losing work hrs,thousands of dollars a day

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,159
You should just buy Econolines from now on so you won't have to complain about the Transit. Obviously the Transit is too frail to be driven by employees, who almost all try as hard as they can to break the company trucks. Actually, look into Isuzu commercial trucks instead of the junky Merikun companies.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,160
Came back over the Sonora Pass from a few days camping by Mono Lake. 26% grade is no joke!

Reactions: EnviroProf
2141 - 2160 of 2201 Posts