Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
A quick intro about me before my question. I bought a 12 passenger/LR/148" van earlier this year, drove it for 3000 miles, and ended up selling it after a good summer.
I was particularly astonished by the handling qualities of Transit equipped with an LSD.
The family wanted more space in the back, bed/ dining space/ Seat belted couch/ Fold-down second bed as shown in the attached pictures. After a copious amount of searching and reading over many months, I came across these pictures which better showcase our needs.
We are looking for help to source these items or work with outfitters to get to this end state. What are these called and do the knowledgeable forum members have any recommendations of equipment/ builders to help realize this design in the back?

We are hoping to build this out on a 148" HR Crew (in the unfinished portion).

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
524 Posts
Thats definitely "sourced" from a Humans brain. Just a smart guy with some cad knowledge!. lots of ways to skin that cat, thats just one. Pretty nice cabinets, probably a boat builder.

·
Registered
2019 250 Cargo MR LWB Quigley CCV pop-top
225 Posts

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
I have saw those photo's before, Either here or on Facebook.
On Facebook there are about a dozen Ford Transit Groups where they discuss anything Transit related.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
You can probably find it in here:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Similar, but would need to reengineer the bottom bed to provide for seating for a table Gallery | Paradigm Vans (paradigmvanconversions.com)

I believe @coguzzi builds for a company out of Quebec that has experience in custom installs and bed lifts. (28) 2020 Ford Transit 250 AWD Ecoboost Camper Van | Ford Transit USA Forum

Wilderness Van is another Canadian outfitter that does lift beds: West Coast Double – Wilderness Vans

AVC rig out of Colorado might be able to whip up something: BUILDS — AVC RIG

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Appreciate the comments!
Pretty nice cabinets, probably a boat builder.
The wall hanging bed material definitely looks nautical.

Similar, but would need to reengineer the bottom bed to provide for seating for a table Gallery | Paradigm Vans (paradigmvanconversions.com)

I believe @coguzzi builds for a company out of Quebec that has experience in custom installs and bed lifts. (28) 2020 Ford Transit 250 AWD Ecoboost Camper Van | Ford Transit USA Forum

Wilderness Van is another Canadian outfitter that does lift beds: West Coast Double – Wilderness Vans

AVC rig out of Colorado might be able to whip up something: BUILDS — AVC RIG
Thank you for the resources. This arrangement will make truly multipurpose for us. We do not want to cook nor poop in the van, so maximizing seat belted seating( 2+3+4 on the Bench , atleast 5 person sleeping ( 2 on bench bed+2 on hanging bed +1 on the 3 person bench seat). The ability to carry toys in the back is also a plus.

Those seat belts on the bench are mighty interesting and something that I have hardly seen before.

Does not match any images skimmed by Google: Google Search
Here is where I found this. Unfortunately, this ad came without contact info and link in the ad does not work.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you want to sleep 4 and have toys, then a pop-top makes the most sense

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
1,493 Posts
Nice fine, @Pajarojo ! I /knew/ I'd seen it before.

Pretty sure someone sells single bunks that drop down like that as "monk cots" or something like that. I'd probably build it with cable-stays and a mid-point latch - seems easier for my skill sets.

But I'd agree that a pop-top is probably the best 4-person setup.

FWIW, we've used our setup as a 4-person - this rig and the last - by putting a mattress under our bed.

In this photo, the bed is at it's highest point. It goes from 2' to 4' or so. In the middle, there's equal headroom for the queen-sized bed on top and full-sized on the bottom.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Fixture Automotive exterior Engineering

·
Registered
ordered 4/26/21 130" LR Crew EB R1Z
85 Posts
I think the first thing you will find out is : " due to the short supply we don't do Transits only sprinters" The second thing was " we don't sell ala-cart"
But their workmanship is 1st class and their designs appear flawless. Just need that sprinter and about 200g's

·
Registered
229 Posts
Nice fine, @Pajarojo ! I /knew/ I'd seen it before.
Jackpot! Thank you. Let me check with these guys and find out. I will come back with information on what I find.
Their transit builds are pretty great and I must admit I have spent a great deal of time looking over images on their site so I recognized the van immediately in the craigslist ad you posted 🤣

Vancompass has something similar for the sprinter but I haven't seen one on their site for the transit - it's not as polished but it looks like it's a bit sturdier than Benchmark's version. I currently plan to do something similar with four 8020 cross beams.

and of course @orton has done something similar and has a good documentation of it He uses his dining table to support the center of the bed but I would want the dining table to convert to the lower bed which is why I'll use the cross beams like vancompass does in the above link.

If you want to sleep 4 and have toys, then a pop-top makes the most sense
Pretty sure you're 100% correct here. I contacted CCV back in May and it was a 9 mo. lead time and $17k so I'm now looking into a roof top tent accessed by a roof hatch as I just can't afford CCV's pop top. But that would have been much preferred.

I want the queen bunk bed ability in the back of my van for now since my kids are still little and it would be handy for nights on the road where you want to be at leas a little bit stealth though.

·
Registered
2018 350 XLT Passenger 3.5 CCV Poptop
25 Posts
Thin pads might be okay for kids but be thoughtful about what you will be sleeping on. I started out with thinner pads and found I wasn't getting much sleep. My van build is pre-Covid and have CCV pop-top with a home built Queen Bed/Bench seats. Both upstairs and down have thick memory foam pads.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Not the pic, but I'm in the middle of building mine that could do the same thing. Used unistrut, so bed can attach/pivot at any height and another could actually go under. Wish it was farther but my welder is having trouble with his TIG. Anyway, might get some ideas and save a good deal of money. The bed was Amazon sourced for outdoor furniture, will fold up flat/pivot using standard unistrut L brackets, They also adjust height and you could easily put another set under a high bolted bed, or just flip one down on each side at diffeent heights for seat/table/walkthrough. Bed bottom even with the unistrut/wheelwell when up so 6 inch cushion fits. I have 130', so only fill size mattress for us and we sleep sideways is the original plan. Made unistut uprights square @53" so bed can also turn sideways and be seat facing fron/rear.

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
Depends on the qua
Thin pads might be okay for kids but be thoughtful about what you will be sleeping on.
Mattress comfort depends on the quality of the foam, not the thickness. We learned that sleeping soundly on 3” foam in European hostels. Our 4” van mattress is totally comfortable.

·
Registered
2018 350 XLT Passenger 3.5 CCV Poptop
25 Posts
Depends on the qua

Mattress comfort depends on the quality of the foam, not the thickness. We learned that sleeping soundly on 3” foam in European hostels. Our 4” van mattress is totally comfortable.
Totally agree. I'm using 4" downstairs and 3" upstairs. This is where quality matters for sure.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Totally agree. I'm using 4" downstairs and 3" upstairs. This is where quality matters for sure.
Somewhat agree that better foam helps, but there's a limit. I'm using the same thicknesses, 4" downstairs and 3" upstairs (limited by pop-top, foam + bedding = ~4.5"), and downstairs is a bit more comfortable.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts