Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as part of the learning experience of maneuvering the Titanic in a bathtub - or rather maneuvering the Transit in my driveway, I backed into a tree branch - not a huge heavy branch, mind you, but a rather insignificant branch that I once backed into with my LR4. The LR4 rear glass never complained, but the left rear window of the transit practically exploded into - well damned if I know what. The shards don't actually feel like glass - more like plastic.

I'm rather surprised at just how fragile the vehicle is. Got a nice dent above the door as well.

Anyone know what the rear (and side???) windows are made out of? I'm starting to think my 6 pound cat could crash through whatever it is. Definitely wouldn't recommend the Transit for a Safari Park experience surrounded by lions and tigers...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The way it broke didn't look like tempered glass. There were a lot of large shards. A few were 2 to 3 inches long. That's what got me wondering.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Well, as part of the learning experience of maneuvering the Titanic in a bathtub - or rather maneuvering the Transit in my driveway, I backed into a tree branch - not a huge heavy branch, mind you, but a rather insignificant branch that I once backed into with my LR4. The LR4 rear glass never complained, but the left rear window of the transit practically exploded into - well damned if I know what. The shards don't actually feel like glass - more like plastic.

I'm rather surprised at just how fragile the vehicle is. Got a nice dent above the door as well.

Anyone know what the rear (and side???) windows are made out of? I'm starting to think my 6 pound cat could crash through whatever it is. Definitely wouldn't recommend the Transit for a Safari Park experience surrounded by lions and tigers...
My rear windows are made of metal. Can't see out them at all but they never crack. Ford installed them special just for me, and charged me nothing to do it! So nice of them.

Cheers.

·
Registered
9,149 Posts
Reactions: sprocketvan

·
Registered
352 Posts
Are those large pieces free of cracks or are they easily crumbled into smaller pieces?
If they are plate glass and installed at the factory you can be sure Ford wants to see it.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
When mine broken all of it was turned into quarter inch cubes, It was hit by a rock thrown at it.
My 3M limo tint kept it all in one piece and the broken glass stayed in the window frame.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A) Who ever said I was blaming Ford for anything? I'm delighted with the vehicle overall. I'm just curious about the material they're using for the rear windows, since it didn't break the way I've seen auto glass break before.

B) Do you know how easy it is to dent the Transit sheet metal? Well, it's very easy, based on my experience to date. The dealer put dents in the sliding door with hand pressure while trying to adjust it.

If there's anything "Amazing" here it's an apparent lack of reading comprehension.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Yes, the sheet metal dents very easily. I have a series of dents along the top of mine from the padded ladder I used to install my solar panels.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Given the size of the vehicle, using thin sheet metal where possible is a great way to save weight. I'm just getting to know the folks at Dent Busters a lot better lately.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
You said you crashed into the branch hard enough to dent your door, and yet you are blaming Ford for the glass breaking. Amazing
Umm... that's not what he said. Here, I'll explain it to you: He said the glass didn't break the way he expected it to, and he was concerned about the size of some of the shards.
You're welcome... :confused:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Umm... that's not what he said. Here, I'll explain it to you: He said the glass didn't break the way he expected it to, and he was concerned about the size of some of the shards.
You're welcome... :confused:
He definitely implied in his first post that his other vehicle would've never broken and his Ford must be made of plastic or something. That is blaming Ford. Sorry he didn't directly say "I blame Ford!"

I didn't mean to offend anyone by calling Jim out, just called out some nonsensical complaining when I saw it because this forum is just full of it... You didn't even post a picture of this supposed "not glass" window Jim...

I'll step up and say yeah, maybe I should've just asked for a picture right away, instead of my snarky remark. That's my bad.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I won't know unless/until I get a Transit but I have had Econolines for years (plus participated in forums where people are using them hard) and I have never experienced a dent from something simple like pressing on the roof or a door. The body seems quite sturdy. Not perfect, but not unduly thin. From reading (and seeing photos) here, the Transit sheet metal is thinner. Especially the roof, but also other areas. Examples would be needing to build a scaffold to avoid leaning on the roof during a vent install, cracking rear doors (beefed up around 2020), and sliders that dent if you "help" them by pushing on the rear (granted I have never had a slider on an Econoline).

That said, I would love to get my mitts on a Transit right now, even though I get the impression it's not going to be as "tankish" as my E-Series. For both better (handling) and worse (sturdiness). And I'm sure the Transit will be a vast improvement in many other ways. But I'm definitely going in with the feeling that it's just a bit more fragile in some ways (sheet metal, doors, suspension). However if you read about the similar competition (eg Sprinter) you hear many of the same things. Seems like it's just the nature of vans nowadays (Chevy possibly excepted, but then it's a dinosaur).

I see plenty of complaining (and plenty of excitement and praise) on the forum. Not sure I would say it's nonsensical, but that's just my opinion.

I am really curious about the glass. My current rig has tempered glass for the RV-type windows, but I would have expected the Ford glass to break into those little, non-sharp "curds."

1 - 20 of 23 Posts